Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #2741
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'll be getting snow on Thanksgiving morning so that probably means you'll be getting the same on friday or saturday. Have fun in Florida.
Trip is not until mid-January. I have to develop that cabin fever properly.
Snow, huh?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #2742
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well my Dell D600 usually parked on my desk developed a herniated Hard Drive. Sooooo, after re-starting it once using some techie magic and backing up the last two days of worthwhile crap data to my trusty Ebay special Dell Precision 650 in the basement, it became painfully obvious the my office needed re-arranging. Right..... there is not a necessary connection here. Nor a cause and effect.

Cruised the internet for a replacement hard drive. Looks like a samsung 80 Gb for about 70 bucks from NewEgg will fill the bill...Any day now.

Meantime proceed with bringing the 60Lb monster, along with the 19" CRT from the basement to my office. Ah now you see why the re-organization.

A few days and it will all be done. Yeah...right.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #2743
Give me a forum ...

Picked up our first LCD flatsceen tv a few weeks ago - our Dish DVR receiver was going kerflooey - had called it in and a new one was on the way and I figured all the rewiring and such could be done at once. Receiver didn't come in, but it sort of worked, but after watching the 37" a bit decided it wasn't big enough - swapped it for a 42". After a week the receiver was really pretty nonfunctional - called DISH and found the receiver hadn't been shipped. Mistakes happen - was told a new receiver would be sent out next day air. That was last Thursday. A call today and we get told the receiver shipped yesterday. Hrumph. Broke out the coathanger fractal antenna i built some months ago that didn't work with the computer tv and sonofagun - it worked with the new digital tv. In fact, we are getting a few digital HD channels and they are way better than the reception from DISH. I read that over the air HD is about the best you can get - no compression. Right now I'm thinking of dumping DISH and going to free over the air and maybe a bit of fiber optic provider....

Oh - closed the sale of a little house today, so that's good. Have a call in to the tax lady to see if paying the state tax this December would reduce this year's Federal tax... or whether AMT would make that moot.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #2744
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Oh, did I forget to mention I booked a 2BR beachfront condo for dirt cheap in N Redington Beach, right on the Gulf, the other day?
Silly me...
The trip is all set - JetBlue air, Hertz rental car, condo for lodging for 12 glorious days.
I don't even enjoy travelling, in general, but this sounds really good! How nice to have something to look forward to for a couple of months.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:12 AM   #2745
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
I don't even enjoy travelling, in general, but this sounds really good! How nice to have something to look forward to for a couple of months.
Thanks! I am beyond psyched. This trip will be a reunion with a former female colleague whom I have not seen in ages. She was military and PCSed out back in 2000. She is one of those friends for life.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #2746
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
In fact, we are getting a few digital HD channels and they are way better than the reception from DISH. I read that over the air HD is about the best you can get - no compression. Right now I'm thinking of dumping DISH and going to free over the air and maybe a bit of fiber optic provider....
Anecdotally, I can only add that in our travels, we sometimes must connect to the campground's cable/satellite system because OTA is not available. Sometimes we have a choice -- in every case, the OTA picture/sound has been much better than from the hookup when compared side-by-side.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #2747
Give me a forum ...

My ebay gig has been crazy busy so I've been spending my days photographing, listing ,packing & shipping . I've focused on selling holiday dresses and tops for thirty somethings and I can't keep them in stock . Is there really a recession ?
Old 11-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #2748
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My ebay gig has been crazy busy so I've been spending my days photographing, listing ,packing & shipping . I've focused on selling holiday dresses and tops for thirty somethings and I can't keep them in stock . Is there really a recession ?
When your hobby becomes work, it may be time to think about re-retiring...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #2749
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
When your hobby becomes work, it may be time to think about re-retiring...
I'm sure this is just the holiday rush and things will slow down in January . Plus I really enjoy doing it !
Old 11-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #2750
Give me a forum ...

I made some low-carb eggnog today.
2/3 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup water

Dash of salt

2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons Splenda
1 dash nutmeg

Whip it all together, drink.
It's pretty good, but doesn't have the store-bought taste that I like so much. I probably need to by some eggnog syrup.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #2751
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did my usual Wednesday morning shift at the Humane Society, then stopped by the pet store to pick up some chewies for my dog. Looked across the street and found this!

Rita
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0918.jpg (990.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 11-27-2009, 07:01 AM   #2752
Give me a forum ...

Pretty good crowd in town yesterday with lot's of good food. But by the end of the day, glad to see them go. Looking forward to just relaxing today and watching a couple of football games.
It's the day after Thanksgiving...
Old 11-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #2753
Moderator Emeritus

It's the day after Thanksgiving...

So we stuck with traditional activities...

This year I have a new lighting assistant.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #2754
Give me a forum ...

I made up a dinner invitation poster, the menu and the shopping list for a small home dinner party I am hosting next weekend. I haven't entertained in ages. I have organized parties for 200 + people in the past.
It's like riding a bike.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #2755
Give me a forum ...

On Friday went to a dinner party (about 15 people) at our over-achiever friends house (the ones with the three large flat-screen TVs).

It's hard to imagine that the pleasure she got from putting it on was worth the time and effort. There was prime rib and turkey -- enough for about 40 people. The turkey was made with some kind of "mahogany" recipe that involved brining it, and cooking it, then putting it in a cooler, then taking it for a walk.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #2756
Give me a forum ...

You did not say how it tasted...
Old 11-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #2757
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You did not say how it tasted...
They're still dating.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 11-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #2758
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
On Friday went to a dinner party (about 15 people) at our over-achiever friends house (the ones with the three large flat-screen TVs).

My former neighbors were overachievers . She kept a file of what she served for parties so she would never repeat a recipe . She also bragged about the cakes she baked from scratch . They were awful !
Old 11-30-2009, 07:03 AM   #2759
Give me a forum ...

The Bird going on a short break

I looked at my schedule this week and through holiday and end of year.
Damn! I DO have a life.
On top of that, the tendinitis in my hands is really acting up with weather changes. So I decided I needed to take a short break from my usual frequency of posting here.

Hold the applause ...pre-emptively getting the one-up on all of my favorites in the resident peanut gallery .

I will be here periodically to check PMs with a delayed response time.

All is well, no worries mates <Crocodile Dundee voiceover>.

"The Bird"
Old 11-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #2760
Give me a forum ...

You will be missed Freebird ! Take care & rest your wrists !