Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #2981
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thursday: Danced the night away overlooking the Charles River. Wow, the river is beautiful but New Year Eve surely attracted a lot of people who have not danced in a long time. I felt that my arms were about to pulled from their sockets.

Friday and Saturday: I read the free Perl documentation on my Mac. Didn't mean to, but, damn, Perl has got to have the best man pages of any programming language, so I kept reading. I didn't even need to buy the OO Perl and SOAP::Lite books that I ordered. Oh, well, too late to cancel.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #2982
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am so happy for you, Tesaje! I know you have been looking forward to retirement. Just wait until tomorrow - - when you know that many of your co-workers are returning to work. I love watching the morning traffic reports on TV now that I am retired.
Oh yeah! Especially when the temps are in teens with a strong wind! Ill really be smiling tomorrow morning when I know there are no more of those cold waits on the train platform. And no more getting up at 430. Been sleeping til 630 to 8am since Fri.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #2983
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No wonder I do not hate working like many of you do. Even when I was working full-time, I never had to get up at 4:30. The climate of course was not so punishing, if there was Freon in the car AC (I live in the Southwest).
Old 01-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #2984
Administrator

Oh I got to sleep in. I just live a mile and a half from my former workplace, and I used to set the alarm for 5:30, managed to make coffee, shower, dress, and get to my desk by 6:00 AM.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #2985
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
No wonder I do not hate working like many of you do. Even when I was working full-time, I never had to get up at 4:30. The climate of course was not so punishing, if there was Freon in the car AC (I live in the Southwest).
I didn't really hate working. It just got old along with the long commute. Its been several years since my former job presented any challenge. No matter what happened, I had seen it before and the answer in an instant. It is just time to go. And now, I get to persue lots of othen interests. With enough sleep. :-)
Old 01-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #2986

Finally crawled outta bed about 9:30 this morning, and got cleaned up and dressed, and headed downtown for the monthly community spaghetti dinner at the Episcopal church.....where we sat a visited for almost 2 hours, and discussed the plans we all have for our gardens this year, as well as all the different nurseries, greenhouses, garden walks, and botanic gardens that we all visited last year and/or plan to visit this year!

So, even though it was a brisk 7 outside today, we all enjoyed a good meal and great conversation while pondering the return of Spring in 76 more days!
Old 01-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #2987
Give me a forum ...

Baked homemade chocolate chip cookies...mmmm...want one?
Old 01-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #2988
Give me a forum ...

Went to Barnes and Noble yesterday for a leisurely browse and read session. It was a madhouse! I had to ask a question at the info desk, and I asked the woman working there why it was so crazy. She said "it's always like this on a Saturday". Doh! I thought it was like Tuesday or something. The holidays have really gotten me screwed up.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #2989

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Friday and Saturday: I read the free Perl documentation on my Mac. Didn't mean to, but, damn, Perl has got to have the best man pages of any programming language, so I kept reading. I didn't even need to buy the OO Perl and SOAP::Lite books that I ordered. Oh, well, too late to cancel.
My husband is a big fan of Perl, he has managed to get many of his questions answered on forums on the net. Seems to be a really helpful set of nerds who use the program.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #2990
Give me a forum ...

I went to see the movie Sherlock Holmes with dh2b. Fantastic movie even if there was a lot of "poetic license" taken from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's original writings.
I have the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes on my Kindle, but haven't read it yet.
The reading list awaits...
Old 01-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #2991
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Baked homemade chocolate chip cookies...mmmm...want one?
Mmmmm. Yes, please.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #2992
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oh I got to sleep in. I just live a mile and a half from my former workplace, and I used to set the alarm for 5:30, managed to make coffee, shower, dress, and get to my desk by 6:00 AM.
Wow, that's some pretty impressive efficiency! I'm ashamed to admit this, but I used to get up at 6am and only sometimes made it to my desk by 8am (with just a 15 minute commute). I've never really been sure what exactly I do in the morning, but it seems to take a long time, whatever it is!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #2993
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Mmmmm. Yes, please.
Okie doke...I'll send you some...now let's see...

ER Forum
On That There Street
Anytown, USA

attn: SarahW

Old 01-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #2994
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
Wow, that's some pretty impressive efficiency! I'm ashamed to admit this, but I used to get up at 6am and only sometimes made it to my desk by 8am (with just a 15 minute commute). I've never really been sure what exactly I do in the morning, but it seems to take a long time, whatever it is!
This routine took YEARS to perfect.

Jump up, run out to the kitchen stark nekkid and start the coffee and pack breakfast, snacks, and lunch, all of which takes 5 minutes. Run to the shower and wash vigorously for 5-10 minutes, no dawdling (ship shower). Throw on clothes, mess with toiletries, brush hair and teeth (by this time it has been 20 minutes). Grab coffee and lunch (and trash on trash day), out the door, (dump trash at curb on trash day), 6 more minutes to work and I have 4 minutes to stroll into the office at a leisurely pace, as though I had been up for hours already. Then I would sit at my desk with coffee and wake up.

Traffic to and from my work in an industrial area was almost all channeled across one bridge over the railroad tracks, on a major street. This caused some traffic jam-ups during rush hour, so it saved time to get there early and leave early like that. I tried getting there late and leaving late, but didn't feel comfortable walking through the parking lot alone after dark.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #2995
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I went to see the movie Sherlock Holmes with dh2b. Fantastic movie even if there was a lot of "poetic license" taken from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's original writings.
I have the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes on my Kindle, but haven't read it yet.
The reading list awaits...

You've given me an idea for something to do today: go to the movies. Got a free ticket by attending an NHL game the other day - guess I'll see Sherlock Holmes. Nothing like going when the rest of the city has to work.

What did I do Sunday:

Ran 32 minutes (4 miles). Watched hours of NFL football (my fav hobby) - read the entire ST Pete Times Sunday newspaper at Starbucks while enjoying coffee and music. They messed up my order, so they offered two free drink vouchers and kept refilling my decaf (I never complained a bit).
More NFL football at night -looking forward to the playoffs next weekend, even though my Buccaneers season is over (has been since September).
Old 01-04-2010, 06:53 AM   #2996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Oh yeah! Especially when the temps are in teens with a strong wind! Ill really be smiling tomorrow morning when I know there are no more of those cold waits on the train platform. And no more getting up at 430. Been sleeping til 630 to 8am since Fri.
Getting upa at 4.30 am....OMG!!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:58 AM   #2997

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Okie doke...I'll send you some...now let's see...

ER Forum
On That There Street
Anytown, USA

attn: SarahW

My address: Exactly the same but in Spain.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #2998
Recycles dryer sheets

Got in 27 holes of golf - a little chilly here in Tampa - the course is located just off the bay. Played w/ my 72 yr old father. Score poorly on the first 18 (91, ouch!). Shot a 38 though, on the last nine as I got in a swing groove. Chilly but beautiful blue skies in Tampa today.

Took my father for a Subway sandwich and conversation afterwards.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #2999
Give me a forum ...

Chinese buffet with former cow*rkers, then to bank for travelers' checks for trip next week, then did last minute snack shopping...packing packing packing...
Old 01-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #3000
Give me a forum ...

Didn't do much, just wanted the 3000th post.

Drove an hour and a half to the big city (Dover DE) to get some work done on the diesel Beetle. Walked around the mall while we waited. Decided that there wasn't much more boring than a mall.

Closed Thread