Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #3081
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We biked up to Satellite Beach and looked at some of the Manatees that have sought refuge from cold water in one of the shallow canals. About 20 of them in just 3 or 4 ft of water. Lots of these animals have died from the cold weather in florida...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #3082
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent another afternoon at a coffee shop with decent free wifi and got Ms. Garmin all updated with new maps. At last! Had a nice lunch there and did some more computer updating. Took a walk near there along the river/canal. Answered some emails. Paid some bills. Read part of a murder mystery. Got home to see a letter from my agency's finance center that they finished up and sent my paperwork to OPM. Right on time. I'm liking this retirement thing. But I seem to be eating out considerably more than I did while employed, partly due to going to free wifi spots. Better watch that or it could get out of hand.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #3083
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Played golf today and took the mutt on an afternoon walk at the reservoir. Beautiful day as the temps were in the mid 60's. People out riding bikes in shorts. Amazing after freezing temps just a week ago.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #3084
Moderator Emeritus

Pua'ena Point by Haleiwa Beach Park. The rest of the North Shore is very nice indeed but this place is only a 30-minute drive with no traffic jams and has a number of different sizes of breaks to choose from.

Paddling out was no problem this time but I never really figured out how to avoid that 20-foot closeout monster that rolled through every 10-20 minutes. "Just paddle out" is pretty counter-intuitive. The rest of the morning was 10-15 feet and very nice.

There's a shallow rock just off the beach that must grow the North Shore's best limu. I've seen honu there every time so far, despite it only being 10 feet from the most crowded part of the beach. A surfer paddled in, hopped off his board to walk out of the water, and stepped on what he thought was a rock... until it hit him with a flipper. I couldn't tell who was more traumatized by the unintended contact but they both moved a lot faster than you'd expect.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #3085

Went for breakfast...eggs benedict...yum!

Signed up for a wildflower class at the local community college....I've taken this class for about the last 4 or 5 years....a friend of mine is the instructor.

Made reservations for next week's Union retiree's lunch....lots of nice folks to chow-down with!

Continued trying to track down an elusive, limited-edition, model locomotive for my collection....gonna stop by the company's headquarters while I'm in Florida next month, to see if they have one stashed away somewhere...also want to check on some other products of theirs!

Topped off the day by throwing some nice pork steaks on the coals for supper. I tried some of Emeril Lagasse's "Original Essence" on one of the steaks...thoroughly NOT impressed in the least!!! I'll stick with my normal seasoning.....ground red pepper, garlic powder, and LAWRYS "Black Pepper Seasoning Salt".....Delicious!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #3086
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
There's a shallow rock just off the beach that must grow the North Shore's best limu. I've seen honu there every time so far, despite it only being 10 feet from the most crowded part of the beach. A surfer paddled in, hopped off his board to walk out of the water, and stepped on what he thought was a rock... until it hit him with a flipper. I couldn't tell who was more traumatized by the unintended contact but they both moved a lot faster than you'd expect.
You often say there's no value for you in posting here anymore. Well, for me your posts have a lot of value. I seldom can read one without having to google a couple words (limu, honu, or some obscure Navy/submarine speak). It's good for the brain and vocabulary. So keep coming back. I'll try to think of something interesting to say for fair exchange value. Maybe later.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #3087

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
You often say there's no value for you in posting here anymore. Well, for me your posts have a lot of value. I seldom can read one without having to google a couple words (limu, honu, or some obscure Navy/submarine speak). It's good for the brain and vocabulary. So keep coming back. I'll try to think of something interesting to say for fair exchange value. Maybe later.
Harley, I agree with you. I read Nords post and immediately went for Google to find out what a honu is, only to find it is one of my favourite creatures. To be amongst them must be so relaxing.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #3088

Took the motorcycle out of the shed, checked the tires, rode that to pick up a prescription. Now due to lousy weather forecast it's back in the shed.

Taking DW out to dinner tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motorcycle 1 2010-01-20 001.jpg (677.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #3089
Give me a forum ...

Oh Walt...bless your heart. A few days ago when it was very cold, DH took his bike apart for cleaning and maintenance. Two days after he did this, the highs have been around 70. He feels your pain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01229.jpg (571.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #3090

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
You often say there's no value for you in posting here anymore. Well, for me your posts have a lot of value. I seldom can read one without having to google a couple words (limu, honu, or some obscure Navy/submarine speak). It's good for the brain and vocabulary. So keep coming back.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Harley, I agree with you. I read Nords post and immediately went for Google to find out what a honu is.........
Me three! I always enjoy learning new stuff....I can use all of the brain activity & exercise I can get...and I'm ALWAYS giving Google a thorough workout!!! That's one of the main reasons I like the E-R forums...I keep gettin' edjukated on all sorts of new things...constantly!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #3091

Me four, Nords. Keep posting and be careful of those waves.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #3092

Passed my SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)!!! A grueling 4 hour test! (only a 52% pass rate - but it was my 2nd time up - missed by ONE question last spring) What a relief to have this out of the way!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #3093

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
Passed my SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)!!! A grueling 4 hour test! (only a 52% pass rate - but it was my 2nd time up - missed by ONE question last spring) What a relief to have this out of the way!
I sincerely hope it serves you in your career. Been HR manager for 10 years.... In my experience there´s no HR expertise that can make a lazy person work in a big company or the Goverment, what with the trade unions and politicking. And with natural industrious people you don´t really need all that expertise-you just need to be fair and be as hard-working as them to get things done.

Never had a real satisfaction while working in that area. I couldn´t even get a promotion to some real good workers.

I know there´s a lot of bitterness, so don´t pay no mind to me.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:07 AM   #3094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
Passed my SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)!!!
Way to go!! Congratulations.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:29 AM   #3095
Give me a forum ...

I got a new digital camera for $60. I've checked Craigslist every day for a year for one that lets you see the LCD image through the viewfinder, allows complete control of aperture, focus, shutter speed, has lots of zoom, and uses AA batteries. I got one of these that is in like-new condition -- part of my philosophy of saving money by buying things that are one or two generations back.

Here's one of the first shots with it:

Old 01-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #3096

Wow! That looks like a nice camera, Al! And it took a very nice picture too! (I saved that one to use as a background pic on my PC...especially nice on a cold, gray IL day!!)

Well, let's see.....we went out for a nice breakfast, then grocery shopping to pick up a few things on sale and to replenish the pantry. I just got done uploading a bunch of pix to Snapfish, and then ordered 150 prints for our photo album....that gives my Mom something to keep her busy for a few days organizing and arranging (and rearranging) the pix in the album, and writing down what each one is.....a nice Winter time project for her!

I'll probably spend most of the rest of the day and evening piddling around out in the train room.....with a couple of coffee runs thrown in for good measure! Haha!
Attached Images
File Type: gif smiley-train-play.gif (50.7 KB, 86 views)
Old 01-22-2010, 12:54 PM   #3097
Moderator Emeritus

Lovely photo!

Today I awakened at 10:30 , and began removing some carelessly dripped paint from the sink in my dressing room. Sure, I painted in December but I am in no hurry! LOL

A little before noon Frank called and took me to a Chinese restaurant for lunch. After lunch he headed off to w*rk, and I cut back some bushes at my house that were damaged by the hard freezes we had a week or two ago. Then bagged the cuttings. All that, and it's only 2:00 PM. It is such a beautiful day outside! I might do some more yardwork, just to enjoy the weather.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #3098
Gone but not forgotten

Wednesday was my birthday and it was a great day . My SO gave me very nice earrings and a pizza stone as I want to start making homemade pizza . He also surprised me with a large bouquet of flowers and a very nice dinner . Lots of little presents from my family and just a perfect day . Today I started looking more seriously for a new car . I like so many of them but none have real stood out so I guess I'll just keep looking .
Old 01-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #3099
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
After lunch he headed off to w*rk, and I cut back some bushes at my house that were damaged by the hard freezes we had a week or two ago. Then bagged the cuttings. All that, and it's only 2:00 PM. It is such a beautiful day outside! I might do some more yardwork, just to enjoy the weather.
You're killing me, here, W2R!!

We had sleet this morning. I told my SO that I'm gonna have a talk with Punxsutawney Phil - no shadows this year. Come on, spring!
Old 01-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #3100
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
You're killing me, here, W2R!!

We had sleet this morning. I told my SO that I'm gonna have a talk with Punxsutawney Phil - no shadows this year. Come on, spring!
It won't be long! We're almost done with January, anyway.

We were having a hard freeze with temperatures in the 20's not too long ago, but yesterday and today have been sunny, with bright blue skies, a light breeze, and temperatures in the upper 70's to 80. Just gorgeous. I hope the weather is nice like this over the weekend, since I'm sure there will be a lot of Saints fans tailgating before the game.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Closed Thread