Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #3141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I was also musing to myself on the way home about how my spending was going down instead of up, and how I had somewhere north of 80x my 2009 spending in my nestegg at the moment which is insane, and how you can't take it with you.
Good grief. Why didn't you buy a second one for Frank?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #3142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Frank probably wants an RV more than a car...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #3143
Give me a forum ...

Today I finally went to see the movie Avatar with my mother. We loved it! While I don't think this is a perfect movie, it did transport me to a different reality for about 3 hours. Mom loved it too and wants to see it again! It was just what we needed after the last couple of months. A little escape from the real world was most welcome.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #3144
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Good grief. Why didn't you buy a second one for Frank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Frank probably wants an RV more than a car...
ROFL!!! Well, Frank has a very nice Murano and he is happy with it. Now he might like an RV, but he doesn't have anyplace to put it. He is doing fine on his own.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #3145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now he might like an RV, but he doesn't have anyplace to put it. He is doing fine on his own.
Well, his next house can be one just like Audrey's.
Yes, he may do fine on his own, but the RV can be shared property.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #3146
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got up around 8am, swept the 1/2" dusting of snow off the sidewalks and driveway about noon, fixed some Mexican food for lunch, then got cleaned up and headed out for coffee......but.....

On my way for coffee, I decided to go (against my better judgment) look at iPhones. I know I've said a couple of times that there was absolutely no reason for me to get one.....but after checking out the ones some of my friends have, I decided to waste my money invest in one....the 3Gs in black. As for the cost...I was pretty darn right on the mark at "....519 coffee shop visits the first year, and only 420 visits each year after that...without figuring in the taxes, activation fee, and other miscellaneous monthly fees for the iPhone....or the purchase of apps...".

Oh well, at least I have a new toy to play with....and I can post to FaceBook from the coffee shop now too....which I did when I got back to town! Haha!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #3147
Moderator Emeritus

Goonie, whatever possessed me today must have got you, too!! Must be something in the air. Both of us ended up buying something we didn't really need, but wanted. I think we will both enjoy our new "toys".

Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #3148
Give me a forum ...

Surely, the Conference Board said today that the Consumer Confidence Index rose to 55.9 in January, the highest in 16 months. This forum microcosm reflects that survey. Next step, Dow 12000.

Remember that we cannot take it with us. And even if we could, it probably would melt. And then, the more we spend, the more we will have.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #3149
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
....So anyway (rambling on, don't mind me...) today I was getting my hair cut at Supercuts and talking to the hairdresser about cars. .....
You popped for a car AND a haircut on the same day? I'm making a note in my diary!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #3150
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You popped for a car AND a haircut on the same day? I'm making a note in my diary!
Now that I'm retired and becoming more and more aware of spending.
Told the better half she should start going to the same hair dresser that our pooch goes to, "The Pooch Parlor". We could save a lot of money, you know?
That went over like a lead balloon
Steve
Old 01-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #3151
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I know! I was going to cut my hair myself this morning, and then decided it was a beautiful day and there was no reason to be so cheap frugal.

I have been busy since my last post. I am now on page 105 of the 620 page owner's manual

Old 01-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #3152
Give me a forum ...

Ladies, congratulations on stimulating the economy all by yourselves.

Now who will be buying the new Apple iwhatchamacallit tomorrow?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:36 AM   #3153
Moderator Emeritus

My baby, by the light of early morning as promised. I slept all of 3 hours last night as I was reading about the phenomenal amount of gadgetry in my new car into the wee hours. Today I will drive over to my insurance agent's office to get my insurance switched over. Then I will probably spend several hours with that huge 600+ page owners' manual, sitting in the car and trying to figure out how to work everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Venza640x480.jpg (77.2 KB, 5 views)

Old 01-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #3154
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Breaking news: Toyota is suspending sales of the models involved in the gas pedal problem.
Toyota suspends sales of eight models in recall
The Toyotas have been flying out of the dealerships here. This is a major embarrassment for Toyota.
I came close to buying a new Toyota recently, but decided to hang on to my oldie (15) but goodie Honda Accord, which I love.
You might want to check that the accelerator cable isn't fraying on the engine side of the firewall at the plastic guide.

I don't want to get into how I learned about that with a 1990 Honda Civic... good thing it had a standard shift and not an automatic transmission. Sold it a few years ago, but we still see that car on the road around the island occasionally.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #3155

W2R- nice car, we'll probably be in the market next year if all goes as planned.

I had quite a day yesterday, broke ground (or at least started clearing trees) for our retirement house- it's a log house in WV. While the builder was taking down trees and clearing stumps, I used a chipper shredder to try to mulch the tops- two very large piles of mulch at the end of the day and quite a work out. No activity at the place today but back to clear the rest on Thursday- then the real fun will start, excavating the basement. Here's a photo at the end of the day.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg blogdayoneend.jpg (704.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #3156

Quote:
My baby, by the light of early morning as promised.
That's a good-looking car, W2R. Congratulations!

My SO and I both drove Toyotas for many years and were very happy with them. We found them to be reliable, low-maintenance cars. When it was finally time for me to buy a new car (after 19 good years with my little Toyota), I was disappointed to not find a new Toyota model that caught my eye. I would have given serious consideration to the Venza if it had been available then.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #3157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My baby, by the light of early morning as promised. I slept all of 3 hours last night as I was reading about the phenomenal amount of gadgetry in my new car into the wee hours. Today I will drive over to my insurance agent's office to get my insurance switched over. Then I will probably spend several hours with that huge 600+ page owners' manual, sitting in the car and trying to figure out how to work everything.
Sweet ride! Congrats on your new baby.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #3158
Give me a forum ...

Today I'm going to determine whether it makes a difference to sear a pot roast before putting it in the slow cooker. I cut the chuck roast in two, and seared one piece.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #3159
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Today I'm going to determine whether it makes a difference to sear a pot roast before putting it in the slow cooker. I cut the chuck roast in two, and seared one piece.
The "Whaddya do all day"? question is answered once again...

I'm betting the seared half will have better coloring and be a bit juicier.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #3160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sharp car, great color! One of our friends has one and LOVES it. Did you get the V-6 or 4 cylinder?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Closed Thread