Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #301
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No more calls folks, we have a winner...
You sure your not in Mississippi? Looks like my neck of the woods.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #302
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
You sure your not in Mississippi? Looks like my neck of the woods.
Those pics were taken in western Mississippi...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-09-2008, 07:56 AM   #303
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hey, I've been there in the spring when those dogwoods were in bloom. Nice area of the state.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 11-09-2008, 08:29 AM   #304
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I've been through east Texas. Very similar to here. Or at least similar to my area of MS. BTW, the video of Tyler State Park didn't feature any rattlesnakes, scorpions, spiders, etc etc etc. Must be a myth.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #305
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Y BTW, the video of Tyler State Park didn't feature any rattlesnakes, scorpions, spiders, etc etc etc. Must be a myth.
All park fees fund huge varmint eradication programs, the only way to insure the park is habitable for humans. We stayed for a week and the only problem we had was a robbery while sitting by the campfire one evening. A masked bandit came up behind DW and snatched her s'more out of her hand - before she got her first bite. Talk about miffed....

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #306
Full time employment: Posting here.

Up early, coffee, some light yardwork. Late morning, one of the shelties that we foster for the Northern Virginia Sheltie Rescue group was picked up by her new family- we had visited the adopters at their home yesterday. Another foster will be here later in the week. Maizie is 12 years old but very active, loves to play ball and no real health issues and a real cutie. This is the 17th or 18th foster that we've had, the good news is we've only kept one for ourselves! Now it's football time.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #307
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Great pictures . I really miss fall .
here's some fall colors from my neck of the woods...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9300002.jpg (671.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #308
Give me a forum ...

Have not done anything notable today. But yesterday, for the first time, I made paella with chicken and sausage, and also fideua with shrimp and squid. They probably aren't as good as the meals we had in Spain a couple of years ago, but they were edible. The rice of the paella wasn't over or undercooked as I feared. That would have been a disaster. In fact my extended-family guests thought they were good. Next time, I will have to cut back on the broth in the fideua so it will be a bit drier.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #309
Give me a forum ...

Today....had lunch over at my mom's and we celebrated my aunt's 97th birthday. Took them for an afternoon drive to enjoy the fall colors. Pretty amazing, she can't get around very well and her hearing is poor but she has a great mind. She reads one book after another, probably her secret to success. Thankfully she has someone younger to look after her, my mom. She will be 91 on Thanksgiving day.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #310
Give me a forum ...

Put on my domestic hat and prepared stew, cornbread and peach cobbler for my guests. During lunch, I laughed so hard I nearly fell out of my chair. Gave hugs to guests and bade them farewell.

Put on my writing hat and started another short story. Chatted with a friend on-line. Took the writing hat off so I could take a nap (hats don't stay on your head in bed). Getting ready to be domestic again. More sleep will come later as I'll have to be prepared to put my cop hat on in the a.m...........
Old 11-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #311
Give me a forum ...

i decided it was time to pull those pork short ribs out of the freezer and whip up some BBQ, NY style. HUH? :confused:
Dinosaur BBQ is a local BBQ place. The owners foolishly published a cookbook with their Red Rub, Mop Sauce, and Mutha Sauce recipes. they drew a lot of their style from good ol' southern style BBQ.
man oh man -3 hours of slow cooking and plenty of sauce. Sides were potato salad and honey hush cornbread (right bbami?).
we've got fat bellies tonight...
oh, and had another tooth shear off on one side. dentist tomorrow...
Old 11-09-2008, 06:13 PM   #312
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Cooked ~4# of custom cut turkey on a bed of herbs and garlic. Later made turkey soup with rice and some of the summer garden's vegetables. Ladled into freezer containers for later.

Dumped kitchen waste, shredded papers, leaves, garden remnants into compost.

Despite freezes, should have some flowers blooming tomorrow; will put some in vase.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #313
Give me a forum ...

Loaded student version of Office on my new laptop, whilst swilling freshly ground coffee. Breakfast of oatmeal with bananas and craisins. Laundered three loads. Ran the dishwasher...

Had a chicken pecan salad sandwich and a blueberry-pineapple smoothie at Frullati's. Gassed up at Costco ($1.95/gal!). Played Walmart bingo. Managed to leave Guitar Center without an impulse buy. Made three-bean chili. (Horrendous Farts, Will Reek)...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #314
Give me a forum ...

Had someone over for a baked black cod with mushroom sauce dinner and then went to a voice recital at Cornish, a local school for the performing arts. It was free, and excellent.

I think I want to do more of this, as it is walking distance and really enjoyable for me.

Ha
Old 11-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #315
Give me a forum ...

Dave, I'm curious about the dog foster care. What's the average time and range of times that you have each dog? Have all of them been pleasant experiences?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #316
Give me a forum ...

I've spent today chugging a laxative which I will wash down with a gallon of miralax . Yes, it is Colonscopy time and even though I am usually the world's best patient . This is brutal . I hope the Colonscopy is negative so I have many years until I do this again . I also hope I lose weight with this torture so I can start the holiday eating guilt free .
Old 11-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #317

Woke up to two happy, giggling kids snuggled under the covers with me. Did a few chores and we're heading (with the dog) to the beach to play until lunchtime. After lunch will be naps, then we'll hit the yard and do some pruning/digging/playing until it's dark and time for dinner.

I take Mondays easy.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Dave, I'm curious about the dog foster care. What's the average time and range of times that you have each dog? Have all of them been pleasant experiences?
Longest was about 10 months, we had a 9 year old that took a while before we found a home- she's 12 now, nearly deaf, and we babysit her on occasion and loves her new home! The shortest is about 4 weeks, we always keep them at least 2 weeks just to make sure we know enough about them to at least give some perspective to potential adopters. I guess the average is about 8-12 weeks but it really does vary- we tend to take the ones that have some issues or need a "boot camp" to lose a few pounds.

All in all, very rewarding but having done this nearly 20 times, a couple didn't work out. We've had two that had serious issues- one had a brain issue that left her hyper and prone to biting without warning and a second that had been abused and was very aggressive- not good endings for those two but we gave it a good try and we were able to keep them under control in our environment but they could have never been adopted out.

My "favorite" was a one that was rescued from a very bad situation, where they were starving and near death already. Nearly 70 dogs had to be put down and only 5 appeared to have a chance. We took in one Sheltie that was about a year old, weighed 9 pounds and should have been over 20. For the first week, he barely moved and spent most of his time on my lap or being held by my wife. He eventually reached 18 pounds with us before being adopted by a great family a year or so ago. We see him often and he's a puppy all over again, a beautiful coat, loves to go on long hikes and visit the local Starbucks and sit outside with his owner, he always draws a crowd. In my mind, he's the poster child for how successful a rescue can go!

All in all, very rewarding but there are some sad times for sure. We have two dogs of our own, an Australian Cattle Dog from the shelter and a sheltie that we decided to keep after fostering him for a while- they are great with the fosters but always hard to say goodbye when one is adopted. Usually doesn't take us long to bring in another one, the bad news is there is a seemingly endless supply of shelties (and other breeds) that need this kind of help.

Feel free to PM me if you want some more details or want to talk about this more.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #319
Recycles dryer sheets

got up at 3 AM
Made cawfee and some rolls with butter
Turned on telly and puter.
Watched movie.
at 900 am, made wifey cawfee.
at 10am went to current events meeting at geezer club.
at 12 PM went to Vons supermarket and ate lunch and read paper.
at 2PM mixed cement, put into molds and made some custom stepping stones.
at 3pm went on puter.
at 4pm will eat dinner
at 6Pm will watch more telly until 8 PM, then conk out and wake again at 3 PM.

this was a slow day.

Jug
Old 11-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #320
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I've spent today chugging a laxative which I will wash down with a gallon of miralax . Yes, it is Colonscopy time and even though I am usually the world's best patient . This is brutal . I hope the Colonscopy is negative so I have many years until I do this again . I also hope I lose weight with this torture so I can start the holiday eating guilt free .
good luck! you will lose a few lbs is my guess. an unintended reward?

i'll be going for my first "turn 50" one in January 09.