Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #3281
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
This thread is USELESS without pictures.

Let's see those tights, man.
Who dat with The Black Swan?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images-1.jpeg (4.1 KB, 238 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #3282
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Accepted the job offer presented to me by a local defense contractor. Start date is February 22nd. Temporary ER was fun while it lasted (7.5 months). Salary offered was 15% higher than I expected. I hope the job is not 15% harder than I expect.
Congratulation on the job! Maybe it will be 15% easier as you are over estimating the negative.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 02-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #3283
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Focusing my mind on my latest volunteer project (Veterans' Center grant application) instead of envisioning retired men in tights...oh how the mind can wander.
I did some preliminary data mining on a very sparse project folder given to me in early January. Now comes the fun part...extracting and collecting information from human beings. Time to get the "velvet hammer" back out.

This project will distract me from whining about how long it will be until the snow melts.
And I have a nice shiny bridge to sell you. Let the bidding begin...
Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #3284
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Will run dishwasher tomorrow.
What time is the Chippendale guy coming by to take off his shirt and do dishes??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 02-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #3285
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
BBB, aren´t you afraid that some of those crooks you catch out might get back at you? We, your Forum friends beg you to be extremely careful. And to keep the .357 at hand at all times!
Nah...I ain't afraid of no crooks! Besides, there will be plenty of people that will pi$$ them off on down the line. I'll just be a distant memory...

...and if they do come to call...I'll be ready....
Old 02-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #3286
Administrator

Quote:
This thread is USELESS without pictures.

Let's see those tights, man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Who dat with The Black Swan?
I AM The Black Swan It was the promise of a tutu that got me into the class.

Today it was 45 minutes lifting weights then into a "body flow" class which was a mixture of Tai Chi, Yoga and Pilates - this time I had company. 2 guys and well over 30 women.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #3287
Give me a forum ...

Just felt an earthquake, very small with comfortable rocking. Lena didn't feel it in the kitchen. It was a 5.4 about 55 miles away.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #3288
Gone but not forgotten

I might have to switch from my women only gym just to see a few guys in leotards !
Old 02-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #3289
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Just felt an earthquake, very small with comfortable rocking. Lena didn't feel it in the kitchen. It was a 5.4 about 55 miles away.
Comfortable rocking.....
Old 02-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #3290
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I might have to switch from my women only gym just to see a few guys in leotards !
I wonder if Alan was paid to take ballet lessons to serve as bait. If so, Alan must post pictures of himself, tutu or not, for female forum members to appraise.

By the way, congrats to the new mods.

PS. Need to sign off to go back to w*rk. Darn market down so much I have to work 24/7 to make up. :-(

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #3291
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Congratulation on the job! Maybe it will be 15% easier as you are over estimating the negative.
I have scars from my last job and it's negatively affecting my attitude about what to expect at the new job. The family members who owned the business I last worked in were so disfunctional they created a very toxic environment. I'm working hard to keep an open mind but my tolerance level for working environments where people are not focusing on getting the job done has slipped to nearly zero. I got clues about the environment from some of the questions I was asked during my interviews. The steep decline in the market today will help me to grow a little thicker skin and chill out when I want to run away screaming. I think part of the reason they hired me is because I was "different." That can be a double-edged sword.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #3292
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I wonder if Alan was paid to take ballet lessons to serve as bait. If so, Alan must post pictures of himself, tutu or not, for female forum members to appraise.

By the way, congrats to the new mods.

PS. Need to sign off to go back to w*rk. Darn market down so much I have to work 24/7 to make up. :-(
I was inspired by the movie Billy Elliott which was set in my coal mining home town in 1984 and it is great watching it, recognizing all the streets in which it was shot. Plus I remember all too well the miners' strike that is the background setting of the plot.

Here is a short excerpt from the movie.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #3293
Give me a forum ...

Billy Elliott..

Oh...I knew there was something I had forgotten!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #3294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Careful what ya wish for....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lollipop kids.jpg (73.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #3295

Oh yeah....what I did today...(besides upload that last picture)....I took my Mom out for breakfast for Belgium waffles, then it was grocery shopping at 2 stores, a trip to the post office to see if my wanted poster was back up again mail a 'hope ya get well soon' card to an old friend of ours, nuked a burrito for lunch, then took my car in for an oil & filter change.

On the way home, I saw my buddy's truck at the coffee shop, so I joined him for a few cups of java. Got home and played solitaire for a while, then went out and filled the bird feeders. Had BBQ ribs, fresh broccoli with melted cheese drizzled over it, and fettuccine with garlic, herbs and olive oil for supper.

Now surfin' a bit, watching "All in the Family" reruns, and counting the days 'til we head out for Florida (8) and the days 'til Spring (44)!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 05:54 AM   #3296

Did the scheduled grocery store thing yesterday, beating the hordes stocking up on bread and milk for the predicted heavy snow tonight/tomorrow. (Why do they do that? In my whole life I've never been snowbound for more than two days. And who lives on bread and milk?)

Today just vegging out, go to work this afternoon/evening. Thinking of April, warm weather, and motorcycle riding.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #3297
Give me a forum ...

This morning I went and had my head examined. Results are not in yet.

Seriously, my hearing in my right ear has been getting worse in noisy environments, to the point where I am always tilting my left ear toward the person speaking and reading lips. So annoying!
I used to work as a mechanic with no hearing protection and may have suffered microtrauma (quoting my doc).
My...ahem..over 50 age could be a factor too. She wants to rule out any physiological causes, hence the MRI of me head today.
I will see an audiologist Monday for hearing tests, hopefully get some testing done with simulated signal/noise conditions, i.e. not the proverbial soundproof booth .
Ever the engineer , I researched and found this really cool noise cancelling miniature hearing device online. I understand audio processing tech really well, and am looking forward to working with the audiologist to find a solution to my constant "Please say that again?" to people.

I am a very proactive patient and firmly believe in the self-help program.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #3298
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This morning I went and had my head examined. Results are not in yet.
So, they didn't find anything in your head? I'm sorry to hear that..........

Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #3299
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
So, they didn't find anything in your head? I'm sorry to hear that..........
A NEW record...9 minutes from my post to the response from my favorite peanut gallery member.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #3300
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A NEW record...9 minutes from my post to the response from my favorite peanut gallery member.
You KNOW you looked forward to my RESPONSE...........

Closed Thread