Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #3361
Full time employment: Posting here.

Visited with my cousin. Cleaned up more junk. A squirrel showed up at my bird feeder. I am now feeding a great variety of birds, one rabbit and one squirrel.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #3362
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

dh2b had the day off today...and I made him a very happy man...I went to the mall* with him to Macy's to get some new w*rk shoes for him. Such an easy man to please.
(* I hate malls, I hate shopping.)
Then I decided we deserved an upscale lunch out together, a rare treat on our very tight eating out budget. I surprised him when I pulled into a trendy seafood restaurant called the Hook Line & Sinker. We treated ourselves to a $45 luncheon.
He had planked salmon, baked potato, broccoli and salad bar. I had a sampler plate with 3 jumbo coconut shrimp, calamari, and crab/cheese stuffed mushroom caps, and salad bar.
Then we split an apple crisp a la mode for dessert.
Oink x 2 ! We won't be eating again until tomorrow AM, or even later.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #3363
Give me a forum ...

It's what I didn't do that was so wonderful....I didn't shovel any snow
Old 02-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #3364
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I went to the mall* with him to Macy's to get some new w*rk shoes for him. Such an easy man to please.
(* I hate malls, I hate shopping.)
So, your man wanted to go shopping at the mall, and you reluctantly tagged along. I guess you live in Backwards Town, NY.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #3365
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Shouldn't houses in Minnesota be built to handle that much snow? Was it a very old garage?
My 105 year old house handled it fine, it was engineered properly. The much news 70s garage was poorly constructed as a two story garage, all weight of the hip roof on the outside walls, no trusses. Oddly, several years later we had a guy come over to put new garage doors on our garage. He asked whether the garage used to be two stories. We said yes and told him about the collapse. He was the one who put on the second story and roof . He claimed that he told the owner that she wasn't designing it properly. But he did what she asked anyway.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 02-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #3366
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I drove a leisurely 367 miles to Paducah, KY, on the first leg of our journey to Florida.....It was mostly sunny, no wind, no snow, no rain, and very little traffic! We made a few stops along the way to stretch, answer nature's call, and just plain relax and enjoy the scenery!

Just finished our FREE supper....Drury Inns now have a "5:30 Kick Back Menu"...Today they had salad, baked potato bar, BallPark franks, chili, chips, snack mix, celery & carrots, soda pop, coffee, and tea....and 3 free drinks per person (beer, wine, or mixed drinks)...All included FREE with your room! They also have a nice hot breakfast too!

Tomorrow after breakfast, we head out to the Atlanta, GA, area....another leisurely day's travel!
Old 02-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #3367
Give me a forum ...

Looked at the snow a lot today. Very pretty and at the same time, so strange.

Checked my figgers again on the tax return. Unless I fat-fingered something, we should be getting a refund of $4421.00! In the past we have always been about even. This return was different as we took a couple of distributions last year that had a mandatory tax rate. We're getting a lot of that back. Now, DH has to recheck my pecking....while I rub my hands in glee at the 'windfall'....bwahahahahaha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01319.jpg (466.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #3368
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
So, your man wanted to go shopping at the mall, and you reluctantly tagged along. I guess you live in Backwards Town, NY.
East Nowhere, NY, actually. 10 miles from Backwardstown.

The reason I hate malls is the gross feeding frenzy of mass consumerism, the blatant marketing manipulation, and whiny kids who insist on wanting EVERYTHING that glitters.
I simply endure it as a necessary evil. You just can't get good fitting shoes online.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #3369

Sucked up the sun and beaaaauuuutiful warmth. Did a nice deed for a neighbor of ours. Was a rewarding day for both of us. Time to relax and enjoy the evening. Have a great Valentines weekend folks
Old 02-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #3370
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I drove a leisurely 367 miles to Paducah, KY
If you stop there on your way back, check out one of the BBQ joints.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #3371

Second of ten furlough days this year. I made a medical appointment, paid a bill, ran a couple errands, then pruned the parental rosebushes. Still at my parents' house, not watching the extended yak-fest before the Olympic opening ceremonies (which I may not watch either).
Old 02-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #3372
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
My 105 year old house handled it fine, it was engineered properly. The much news 70s garage was poorly constructed as a two story garage, all weight of the hip roof on the outside walls, no trusses. Oddly, several years later we had a guy come over to put new garage doors on our garage. He asked whether the garage used to be two stories. We said yes and told him about the collapse. He was the one who put on the second story and roof . He claimed that he told the owner that she wasn't designing it properly. But he did what she asked anyway.
Safe design matters!
Remember the wedding hall disaster in Jerusalem in 2001?

The owner of the banquet hall didn't like the aesthetics of the poles - said it interfered too much with dancing - and had the structural supports removed!!!! They subsequently went to jail.

Versailles wedding hall disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #3373

Quote:

Tomorrow after breakfast, we head out to the Atlanta, GA, area....another leisurely day's travel!
I hope that you continue the safe leisurely day's traveling to FL. Have a great time, but who is going to tell us how many days until Spring?
Old 02-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #3374

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk View Post
If you stop there on your way back, check out one of the BBQ joints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I hope that you continue the safe leisurely day's traveling to FL. Have a great time, but who is going to tell us how many days until Spring?
On the return trip, we'll just be zippin' through Paducah, as we'll be leaving from a couple of days in Nashville.

The road trip today was just about the same as yesterday....'cept there was a bit more traffic due to people being off work and doing weekend stuff (and paying much more attention to cellphones, kids in their car, hair-doos, eating/drinking, etc., than they were to the road and the other vehicles around them...saw several near misses).

Got here in Marietta, GA, just before 3pm....watched the end of the NASCAR Nationwide race, then went to Ruby Tuesday's for dinner.

Tomorrow's a shorter drive day....about 244 miles...to Valdosta, GA. We have a couple of planned stops along the way...like the one for pecan ice cream for 'lunch'!!!
Old 02-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #3375
Give me a forum ...

Shovelled the snow the plow piled up in front of our diveway -- a hard, solid 4 foot tall mass of ice and crud. Noticed snow damage to our house from a clogged gutter. Called my insuance company to report the damage. Worried a lot about this. Generally got bummed out about life, the universe and everything. Thought about moving to Hawaii.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #3376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Shovelled the snow the plow piled up in front of our diveway -- a hard, solid 4 foot tall mass of ice and crud. Noticed snow damage to our house from a clogged gutter. Called my insuance company to report the damage. Worried a lot about this. Generally got bummed out about life, the universe and everything. Thought about moving to Hawaii.
Hang in there Purron! This too shall pass as they say. It's all small potatoes compared to the important things in life.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 02-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #3377

We did make it out the grocery store and library yesterday. DW says her car, the one I'm starting to call the Garage Queen, is not going anywhere for another week. It was washed just before the snowfall and hasn't been out since. My truck is so crusty it's getting hard to tell what color it is.

In fairness until yesterday it wouldn't have gone far. There's a reason there are so many 4WD pickups in WV. The taxes are low, but one of the reasons is they don't spend a lot on snow removal. Can't have it both ways.

We both got a pile of library books to keep us somewhat occupied until after the next snowfall.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #3378

Quote:
Tomorrow's a shorter drive day....about 244 miles...to Valdosta, GA. We have a couple of planned stops along the way...like the one for pecan ice cream for 'lunch'!!!
Well, we had a weather and traffic related change of plans today.....in that the weather was soooo nice and sunny and the sky was a beautiful cloudless blue, plus there was hardly any traffic at all....we skipped our stop-over in Valdosta, GA, and just came directly to Jacksonville Beach, FL.

We talked about it about half way to Valdosta, and I made a call to the hotel in Jacksonville Beach that we had reservations for tomorrow night, and our requested room was open for tonight, so I booked it! Then called and canceled the hotel in Valdosta.

Went to a nice Irish pub for dinner...Ma had their beef stew, which she deemed as good as, if not better than her own (I was amazed!). I had their 'Valentines Special'.....fillet mignon and lobster tail, with garlic roast mashed potatoes, and a veggie medley....EXCELLENT!!! The fillet was cooked perfectly and fork tender!

Glad we passed on our original plans!
Old 02-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #3379
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Hang in there Purron! This too shall pass as they say. It's all small potatoes compared to the important things in life.
Thanks. I snapped out of my doom and gloom, negativity, self pity spiral today. It was a beautiful day and I'm hoping to see some robins soon.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #3380
Give me a forum ...

Destroyed my diet.
See Valentine's Day thread for the gruesome details.