what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went and threw down about a thousand bucks a costco. $400 would buy the equivalent amount of stuff in the states. Meat was about a quarter of that, including a $30 turkey weighing in at 13#. Later in the day, I saw a 24 pounder going for $100 at another store (this is already translated to US$ folks...a hunnerd bucks for a frozen turkey...). Went to another place to get the rest of the supplies for thanksgiving and tossed down a couple hundred more. (canned cranberry sauce for $5 each, canned yams for $3.50 each, sour cream for $8 a pint...too expensive). I read somewhere that this year's average spread for 10 people was avg about $46...about 6-8x that here for 7 of us. Not all of today's shopping was for turkey day, catching up on some other stuff too.

Came home, cut up the meat into meal sized portions, wrapped it and froze it. Made a french onion soup, picked up DD from the school bus stop 2 miles away, came back home, ate my soup, playing online now.

R

Thanks for the info. Wouldn't you know it, suppose to be flying over at this moment. But it's cloudy and raining here. :( I'll check later in the week.
dh2b is the astronomy nut in the household, so credit goes to him for this geek-speak, with my commentary. it's a 2-for-1 techno-geek special today. :D
please look at the column labelled Elevation (angle). the higher the number, the higher in the sky it will be. elevation angles are measured from the horizon (elevation zero), not the vertical. an elevation angle of 90 degrees means directly overhead. you will see the longest track across your viewing location. 30-45 degrees is good too.
we've seen it here several times while outside in near black sky. we can easily see satellites, but this was unmistakable. wow :D
the Shuttle is currently attached to it, last we checked, so the combo of the ISS and the bright white Shuttle will reflect the sun even better.
if you have background light pollution, find a darker place with no artificial light.
i'm out in the boonies. we have coy dogs and everything. :eek:

laundry day - all slaves must report immediately!
called security company to schedule service call for low battery signal
shovelled back deck (3" snow). yawn.
set up seed and suet block for my feathered friends
goofed off online
listened to classical music all day

i'm so stressed ! NOT!!! :D

Went and threw down about a thousand bucks a costco. $400 would buy the equivalent amount of stuff in the states. Meat was about a quarter of that, including a $30 turkey weighing in at 13#. Later in the day, I saw a 24 pounder going for $100 at another store (this is already translated to US$ folks...a hunnerd bucks for a frozen turkey...).

Okay, I have to ask. Where are you living that stuff costs that much?

I want to make sure I never go there....:)

As the resident hunter-gatherer, I picked up a 25-pound turkey at the local supermarket for $12.50....there's a lot of grocery store competition in our area. We make up for it , though, in high property taxes, state and county income tax, and the ridiculously high cost of services.
Said turkey will go through the time-honored stages of Turkey, Turkey Salad, Turkey Pot Pie, and last but not least, enough home-made Turkey Vegetable Barley Soup for a week.

Worked a little this morning. Had lunch at the golf club(too cool for golf), raked leaves this afternoon, and watched some football. Watching OK and Texas Tech play right now. BTW, my Bullies beat Arkansas today. Ark must really suck this year. :-\

Sunday was too cool for golf? Saturday was much cooler here in Laurel.
Most of us played on Sunday afternoon. Very pleasant.
By the way, Ole Miss taking care of LSU was great, wasn't it?
Even if you are a MSU fan.

Other than being another year older, went to small claims court.

Where facing the prospect of explaining to a judge the local zoning officer's sloppy and incompetent work, the township refunded my zoning hearing board fees and court fees.
A seven month hassle with the town came to a close.

Never ever give up or give in to town bureaucrats!
knuppel2.gif

Next I'm writing a summary of the experience to the local paper, hopefully they will publish it.

I applied for SS, even though I had planned to wait until I was 70. I think the balance has tipped toward taking the money and investing it, rather than waiting.

Ha

We went to the American Indian Museum which was interesting then walked forever to the reopened American History Museum . Great museum just too much too see in one day so we will return tomorrow . We had dinner at an Irish Pub that is attached to the hotel .

A cold blustery day with flurries.

Made *'garbage soup' (from mother): broth, frozen leftover meat and vegetables, and throw in some starch (cooked rice/pasta).

*AKA: refrigerator stew, slumgullion, SLOP (stewed leftovers on potatoes)

drove for the DAV transportation network - had a great conversation with a new passenger, a proud father of 8 grown children. put on 118 miles round trip. no heavy snow as predicted, whew!
elected dh2b to be the hunter/gatherer, gave him a shopping list and off he went.
watched dh2b snowthrow 4" of heavy slush off driveway and back deck.
reminded myself to definitely keep him :D

Got up at 6:30, had breakfast and then got in an hour of work. Headed to the golf course and got in 18. Afterward, picked up a few things for my mom at the grocery store. Got home and started the chore of cleaning up my house. One of nephew's and his bride to be are staying with me for Thanksgiving. I'm pretty much a slob and will only clean up my house when I have to. Made some headway but more to do tomorrow. Got to work a couple of more hours for my company project so I better get at it. :(

I am happy to report that I completed the NYT crossword on both Monday and Tuesday. First time ever. They get progressively more difficult each day of the week so by Wednesday I start to struggle but recently I have been doing a lot better.

I am happy to report that I completed the NYT crossword on both Monday and Tuesday. First time ever. They get progressively more difficult each day of the week so by Wednesday I start to struggle but recently I have been doing a lot better.
very impressive.:cool:
i have never been able to do crosswords. i have a strong vocabulary but i can't get it visually or by deduction. now give me a Jumble puzzle and i zip right through that. i play killer Scrabble.

the plan...
clean 5" of wet sticky snow off car.
weekly chinese buffet with former fun co-w*rkers.
dive into Bogle's new book, "Enough" and temporarily disappear from the planet for a few hours.
make pumpkin pie from scratch.
push snow off back deck and outdoor jacuzzi. go in jacuzzi. :cool:

Workin' at the court this a.m. I have a couple of errands to run after I leave this joint. Once home, log on the forum and bake bread and pies this afternoon. Possibly sip a little JD during the kitchen activities....:p

I applied for SS, even though I had planned to wait until I was 70. I think the balance has tipped toward taking the money and investing it, rather than waiting.

Ha

Don't forget that you can withdraw your app at age 70, pay the money back (that you've invested), and start over.

Got up at 6:30, had breakfast and then got in an hour of work. Headed to the golf course and got in 18. Afterward, picked up a few things for my mom at the grocery store. Got home and started the chore of cleaning up my house. One of nephew's and his bride to be are staying with me for Thanksgiving. I'm pretty much a slob and will only clean up my house when I have to. Made some headway but more to do tomorrow. Got to work a couple of more hours for my company project so I better get at it. :(

Don't forget to put the toilet seat down.

Frank and I are "playing retired" in our ER location of choice, in Missouri. We have been sleeping in every day and then doing things like reading in the reading room of the local library, checking out the gym facilities in town and a nearby marina to the north, trying local restaurants, and today, he got a haircut in an old time barbershop and talked to the other men in there about hunting.

It is going to be tough to go back to work next week! :D

Up at 6:00 am, pretty normal. Researched health plans and property for sale in southern Missouri on the internet. Found a home for our foster sheltie, nice younger lady who is ready to take on a very active sheltie we've fostered for about 2 weeks. Built a fire in the firepit on the deck about 5:00 pm, enjoyed untl about 6:30. Wife and I talked about the house we want to build in southern Missouri in about 2 years while enjoying a glass of wine. Now we're , getting ready for a spahhetti dinner, then watch hockey on TV before an early bedtime, great day!

Okay, I have to ask. Where are you living that stuff costs that much?

I want to make sure I never go there....:)

Tokyo...for a few more years. After a while you get used to the costs here, and figure out that if you want food & stuff, you just have to bite the bullet and buy it. The costs never cease to amaze me though. That said, I've been taking good care of megacorp, so they have taken good care of me. Otherwise we could not afford to live here. Emotionally, we think we are pretty much ready to go. Financially, I think it will be a while. I'm not sure that Mr Market is ready to support the level of creature comforts to which we have grown accustomed. And I have succession to get worked out.

R

Tokyo...for a few more years. After a while you get used to the costs here, and figure out that if you want food & stuff, you just have to bite the bullet and buy it.

I have not been to Tokyo, but my wife has. She took some photos of supermarket produce stands for me. Apples and bananas sold by single pieces. Celery were not sold 3 bunches in a bag like at Costco, but broken out in single stalks. :p

I have been to London, and thought food was expensive there. Nothing like Japan though. Even with a 30% haircut of my ER portfolio, food cost has never been on my worry list. In fact, I don't think I ever have to worry about food cost, as long as I downgrade from cognac to 1.75L bottles of whisky at Costco, and from Belgian beer to bland domestic beer.

I am grateful I am here in the US of A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom