Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #3521
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Wow...4:35 Eastern time and nobody did ANYTHING today?
Hey! I did anything. That is what retirement is for!

Also, I went to lunch with a friend, then came home.

-- Rita

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #3522

Main thing I did today was shovel 3 driveways, 2 sidewalks, steps and porch. Yes, Mother Nature decided I needed some more exercise. Also, talked to my sister 3 times, surfed the net, read a little, made supper, watched a little tv.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #3523

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Wow...4:35 Eastern time and nobody did ANYTHING today? .........
Well.....I didn't do much. Got up at 5:30 a.m., and did the usual morning stuff including breakfast at our hotel in Ormond Beach. Took a few last pix of the sunrise over the ocean and beach.....then packed up all of our stuff in the car.

We hit the road at 8:20 a.m., and I drove 354 miles to Macon, GA for the night....with several stops here and there along the way.....um, ICE CREAM!!! Got here to the hotel about 3 o'clock, and have been surfing and downloading some ebooks on my iPhone, and as soon as this episode of "Cash Cab" is over, we're heading down to the restaurant for supper.

In the morning, after breakfast, we'll be heading to Nashville for a couple of days before setting out for home. We'll be sitting in the 2nd row at the Grand Ole Opry tomorrow night, too!!! YEA!!!
Old 02-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #3524
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pretty simple and typical day for me. Played 18 holes of golf. Pretty cool on the front side but warmed up on the back. Walked the dog this afternoon and watched the PGA tour tournament on tv. More of the same tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #3525
Moderator Emeritus

Went to the annual orchid expo, theme was Carnival. Bought a dendrobium, had lunch and fought a downpour on the way home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7164.jpg (974.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #3526
Administrator

Spent most of the day with Frank. He had a big wide grin on his face all day! I have never seen someone so happy to retire.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #3527
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Spent most of the day with Frank. He had a big wide grin on his face all day! I have never seen someone so happy to retire.
He still wearing his pink slip?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 02-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #3528
Full time employment: Posting here.

Drove in snow and hail to get fingerprinted for the state of NJ.....felt like the postman!
Hung out with some friends....can't wait to go to work tomorrow!!!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #3529
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
He still wearing his pink slip?
I don't think he would notice if he was! He's just happy as a pig in a mud puddle. The amazing thing is when he doesn't know anyone is looking at him- - he is STILL smiling! me too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #3530
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I remember very well feeling exactly the same way - and it lasted for days and days.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 02-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #3531
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I remember very well feeling exactly the same way - and it lasted for days and days.
Funny, I woke up this morning thinking how fortunate I am to be retired. And it is true, most days seem like Saturday. Only problem with this day, it truly is Saturday and there will be working people on the golf course slowing it all down. I'm spoiled. Actually, I normally don't play on weekends now just because I can play all week long with very few people out there. But this time of year, you have to play when the weather is good.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #3532
Administrator

Plumbing repairs today. Always a vocabulary building exercise.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #3533
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Plumbing repairs today. Always a vocabulary building exercise.
That describes my day, also... to a "T."
Old 02-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #3534
Give me a forum ...

I witnessed the dynamic duo of computer doctors (dh2b and guy friend) put their heads together and diagnose and fix a persnickety hard drive problem on the wife's desktop. The missus and I hung out talking, but we made sure each of us went down the hall for periodic "cheering on" sessions.
Q: "How's it going, guys?"
A: "We've tried X and Y and it still isn't <fill in the blank>."
Exit stage left...

The sun is out. It is not snowing. I can see little rivers of water running across the driveway where the snow is MELTING.
The rest of the day is going to be frittered away in the style in which I have become accustomed on a Sunday.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #3535
Administrator

Frank and I spent much of the day together. Turns out his pension check is already direct deposited and pending at his bank! It will clear tomorrow. He officially retired from megacorp on Friday (which was his day off anyway) so it took just one (1) day. That is so cool, compared with government that always takes so long.

After lunch at a nice local Cajun restaurant, we wandered around Home Depot picking up stuff for our individual projects. Accordingly, he got to spend half of this afternoon at his house fixing a leaky toilet. Meanwhile I got to put up painter's tape at my house for some more painting. I think I probably had more fun, don't you? I'll have to ask him tomorrow.

- - H. Melville, 1851
award news
Old 02-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #3536
Give me a forum ...

award news

I've been on 'vacation' for the past few days as DH has been out of town. He played bass guitar in his Latin Jazz band at the Elmhurst Illinois University jazz festival and will be home tomorrow.

I need to clean up around here a little bit....

Just talked to him, he received an award for Outstanding Soloist....
He is the talented one.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #3537
Give me a forum ...

Got a nice elliptical trainer for $40 at a garage sale, so my stable of rainy day torture devices is now complete (treadmill, stationary bike, rowing machine, elliptical, weight bench).
Old 03-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #3538
Administrator

Wow!! I have "home gym envy", Al! Your collection of gym equipment sounds like a dream come true.

Yesterday I dusted off my exercycle and rode 3 miles on it. It's a start, anyway.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #3539
Full time employment: Posting here.

Last night, 'Big Love' closing credits played this song. WOW. What a blast from the past for a baby boomer.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #3540
Give me a forum ...

The team of wild horses and I finally finished reviewing and e-filed my Federal taxes.
I have to send in some supporting hardcopy documents with my state return, so I'm printing it now. Pop that baby in a First Class envelope and off it goes first thing tomorrow AM.

Federal refund: just a little over $2K
State owed: Zero

Mwah ha haaaaaaaaa...