Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #3541
Moderator Emeritus

I painted a whole bunch of baseboard moulding today, and am finishing up the low voltage wiring for the Great family Room Refit of 2010. I suspect I'll run out of things to do well before the cabinets and carpet arrive.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #3542
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Federal refund: just a little over $2K
State owed: Zero
I finished our's an hour ago:

Federal Due: $883
State Due: $331

Yippee! And I can wait until April 15th to pay up -- no penalty.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #3543
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Saturday afternoon about 2 p.m. we arrived in Nashville at the Opryland Hotel and got settled into a nice room with a balcony overlooking one of the 3 huge atriums in the hotel. Then we had a VERY nice seafood dinner at the Cascades restaurant in the hotel, before we headed over to the auditorium for the Grand Ole Opry!!! Loved it as always!!!

Sunday we enjoyed a magnificent buffet breakfast at the Water's Edge (in the hotel) that's located beside the indoor, Delta River. Then we goofed off most of the day, and enjoyed sitting on our balcony perusing the lush greenery and waterfalls in the atrium. About noon we wandered over the Delta Island in one of the other atriums, and had some frozen goodies at the Häagen-Dazs shop and "people watched" for anhour or so, before returning to our balcony perch.

Then last evening we ate at the opulent Old Hickory Steakhouse (in the hotel) and gorged ourselves on awesome food.....I had a fork-tender 22 oz. bone-in rib steak cooked medium, and all the trimmings. Mom had their barbecued short ribs with all of the trimmings.....and she said they were excellent!

This morning we went back to the Water's Edge for breakfast, and had the same server as yesterday...a very sweet gal that I'd met when we were at Opryland back in December. At that time, besides working days in the restaurant (and being our server), they also employ her evenings to entertain guests passing through one of the main lobbies....a magnificent pianist and vocalist!!!

After breakfast, we loafed on our balcony for a few hours before checking out, and heading toward home again....stopping here in Mt. Vernon, IL for the night...then the rest of the way home in the morning!

Life is GREAT!!! It's March!!! Spring is only 19 days from today!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #3544

I went in to the office for a half a day, took my tax documents to the accountant at lunch, then treated myself to the rest of the day off(comp time) and came home and snoozed on the couch with the dog. Had the fireplace on and watched one of those Lifetime movies. Life is good. I am so relieved the tax docs are off the dining table.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #3545
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I painted a whole bunch of baseboard moulding today, and am finishing up the low voltage wiring for the Great family Room Refit of 2010. I suspect I'll run out of things to do well before the cabinets and carpet arrive.
I painted today, too. I painted four standard louvred closet doors this afternoon. I intended to get to the baseboard moulding, other doors, and more, but ran out of steam! It's a pretty color, though not too different from the neutral color that it is replacing. Maybe slighly greener. It really freshens up the room, though, which was the point as the old paint was getting worn and shabby.

It is POURING rain with strong, gusty winds and it is as dark as night. Kind of fun, exciting weather, though not much daylight available to help with seeing the true colors of what I am painting. But just as I was starting to write this, a strong gust of wind blew open my locked side door!! Bang!! and the rain came in in a torrent. The door is only about 10 feet from me and I ran to it immediately and shut it, but meanwhile the wind blew at least a gallon of water in on the floor. OK, I had meant to mop the floor anyway....

Odd how a little calamity like that is fun when I am retired.

Frank called earlier and said he hasn't done a thing constructive today. I told him that was great, and that he was taking to retirement like a duck to water.

My new car is getting a free car wash, courtesy of Mother Nature.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #3546
Give me a forum ...

Potluck lunch at work yesterday, then home to watch the Canada-US Olympic Hockey final game (while not a hockey fan, I did think this was my patriotic duty!). Go Canada!

Caught myself singing O Canada in the shower this morning!

Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #3547

Went dancing, got 3 numbers of out 5 that I asked. 60% batting average, not bad.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:45 AM   #3548
Full time employment: Posting here.

Electronically filed taxes this morning, big refunds for both federal and state. Only W2 income last year was in the form of a bonus type payment and they withhold 25% for federal taxes. Tried to get that changed for this years payment but megacorp says no. This was my first year of retirement so moved down a bracket or two which I think is good news, lol. Refund will come in handy for the house we started building that we're trying to complete without a loan since we already have a loan on our current house.

Here's a picture of the house construction, we're just getting started, these are the footers for the detached garage/workshop. They ended up being a bit larger than needed but it's hard to get a precise dig in the shale where we're located in WV. They aren't allowed to backfill to cut down the amount of concrete being used.

This was from work yesterday while I spent the day there watching progress- it's about a 2 hour drive so easy to do in one day. Power is in, water well should be dug in a few weeks. Hopefully, then, I'll be able to set up our travel trailer in style (satellite tv, etc.) and will be able to stay overnight and get some work done. I plan to be working on some walking and riding paths through the property while I'm there to keep an eye on progress or be able to answer builder questions, etc. as needed. Still plenty of snow on the ground so won't get started until it's just a bit more dry.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:13 AM   #3549
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to the Yankee's spring training practice took the picture of Goose Gossage w/ Andy Petite above, golfed 18 (shot 87 yech!), watched the International Space Station fly over my house.

Heavens-Above Home Page
Old 03-02-2010, 07:07 AM   #3550

Yesterday signed up for a four-week class with DW at the local community college in taking/editing digital photographs. Years ago I had a strong interest in photography but got sidetracked by radio control model airplanes.

It'll be fun to go to the class with DW, we haven't done that for a long time. I told her I'd carry her books for her.

Most of that stuff I can pick up fairly easily, she likes the more structured environment of a classroom. And no doubt I'll learn something new anyway.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #3551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yesterday signed up for a four-week class with DW at the local community college in taking/editing digital photographs. Years ago I had a strong interest in photography but got sidetracked by radio control model airplanes.

It'll be fun to go to the class with DW, we haven't done that for a long time. I told her I'd carry her books for her.

Most of that stuff I can pick up fairly easily, she likes the more structured environment of a classroom. And no doubt I'll learn something new anyway.
Awwww
Old 03-02-2010, 07:12 AM   #3552
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been trying to take advantage to classes, too - some stuff I already know like Microsoft Office classes, photoshop - and other stuff I had no clue about (astronomy). Keeps the mind stimulated.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:13 AM   #3553
Recycles dryer sheets

Today: more golf? Complete nursing continuing education (maybe - been procrastinating) - and definitely will be at the Flyers-Lightning NHL game tonight, downtown Tampa.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #3554
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
IOdd how a little calamity like that is fun when I am retired.
There's a certain entertainment value to all the random little bits of life around us. Right now I'm watching two indoor cats running from window to window, as they watch a couple of very soggy squirrels foraging outside. No 'disasters' yet, but the day is young.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #3555
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post

Went to the Yankee's spring training practice took the picture of Goose Gossage w/ Andy Petite above, golfed 18 (shot 87 yech!), watched the International Space Station fly over my house.
Ahh, spring training, a sure sign of spring and better weather to come!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #3556

Spent several hours on hold for my college and the VA - I believe today was the day I spoke to the correct person to get my GI Bill $$$ problems fixed for this semester!!

Now just waiting for the response from the advisor regarding next semester's enrollment and graduation! Looking forward to June 26, 2010 - NO MORE GRAD SCHOOL!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #3557
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

W2R! Did you get a new car?
Old 03-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #3558
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
W2R! Did you get a new car?
Did you not see my posts on it? I got a new Venza as a planned "retirement present to myself" on January 25th, and I thought I had been talking about it too much. I just love it.

It has all the bells and whistles except for four wheel drive, tow package, and satellite navigation, so I am enjoying a lot more luxury than I had with the Solara.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Venza640x480.jpg (77.2 KB, 1 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 03-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #3559
Give me a forum ...

I was out ALLLLLL day today.
Mailed my NYS tax return at the local East Nowhere post office, and did some healthy snack shopping for dh2b.
Then I went to the retirement luncheon of my mentor and great friend from former w*rkplace. This guy is the PhD who was directly responsible for me getting hired into the govt lab way back in 1988. He astounded me by telling me he was 75 and his wife was just "a few years" younger. We exchanged emails and he promised to keep in touch.
It was great to see former colleagues from the 1st 10 years, i.e. the good part, of my career.
Lots of smiles, hugs (no more handshake protocol ), lots of sincere good wishes from the group of 20+ guys. My ego will be floating sky high for weeks.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #3560
Recycles dryer sheets

I ripped the nasty old carpet out of my living room today. Plucked out all the staples out of the floor and hammered in nails that had worked up. Vacuumed it. Nasty job but it is good to get it out of the house.