Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #3561
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I ripped the nasty old carpet out of my living room today. Plucked out all the staples out of the floor and hammered in nails that had worked up. Vacuumed it. Nasty job but it is good to get it out of the house.
Wow!! I am impressed. Can you come to my house and do the same with the nasty old carpet in my living room?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #3562
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We made the final leg of our journey home from Florida today, arriving at the ol' homestead just before noon. We unloaded the car, then I went to the Doc's office.....but only to deliver some yummy goodies for him and his two nurses! I took them Sugar-Free Dark Chocolate Covered Almonds from Ellis Brothers in Vienna, GA....and also a Russell Stover's Solid Dark Chocolate Easter Bunny for each of them! They were happy that I was home from my trip....only 'cause I fed them!

When I got home from the Doc's, I started planning next year's Florida trip....It's only like 49 weeks away!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #3563
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Slept late (what else is new?) had my coffee and typed up some notes from my last Criminal Investigation Division class. Went to the police dept and got another 'training' session in CID that consisted of setting up my user name and two passwords. Was shown about a dozen different screens and how to input info on each case. I think I'll like this volunteer gig.

Later this afternoon, I worked on a project for a friend. The project is finally completed and it's lights out for me.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #3564
Give me a forum ...

Was on call last night and it was busy. Several meetings today. Came home midafternoon (hey, cut me some slack here!) and went online. Up popped a Skype invite from my cousin in Brazil, who had been thinking of me as he watched the Winter Olympics. We yakked for for over half an hour for free.

The news from South America: No, the Chilean earthquake was not felt in Rio de Janeiro. No, they have not started building the facilities for the World Cup in 2014 or the Summer Olympics in 2016. And no, the crash of 2008-2009 did not significantly affect regular folks in Brazil, though exports did decrease. The government keeps interest rates very high (100% per annum would be a common interest rate!!!!) to stop rampant inflation, and credit, particularly long term loans, is just not something people use. For example, it is very rare to borrow money to buy a car.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #3565
Moderator Emeritus

Slept in, then painted a cabinet and some moulding a pretty neutral shade (the paint color is called "Wicker"). I was engrossed in that and painting feverishly, and almost done when Frank called and wanted to know if I'd like to go out for lunch? Yes, of course! So, I cleaned up quickly and we went to a lovely Chinese place with cloth tablecloths, fresh flowers, and wonderful food.

Then off to Lowe's to look for some things he needed (and I always love prowling about Lowe's anyway). The weather is beautiful and sunny. We continued on and explored some parts of town that I had never seen, just for the fun of it. Interesting historical buildings there, too.

Tonight, American Idol! This is SO MUCH more fun than working. I have begun to realize that my native state is one of bliss and I was born to this lifestyle.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #3566
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
This is SO MUCH more fun than working. I have begun to realize that my native state is one of bliss and I was born to this lifestyle.
Another retiree who finally found her calling in life...
Old 03-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #3567
Give me a forum ...

The winter hibernation period is coming to an end...day 2 of 2 out and about for this kid.
I went to weekly Wed Chinese with the usual crew, then right over to coffee with a friend.
We talked about his upcoming retirement at the end of April. He always likes to bounce ideas off of me because he gets a completely different outlook from the outside of the aquarium and some very good (his words) "what-if" analysis. Nice to be complimented.
Home again...surfing...I sent him M* reports on his existing stock and ETF holdings. I don't normally buy individual stock issues, but I took the time to read the reports and got totally lost. There is a reason I stick with mutual funds.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #3568

Went for breakfast and coffee with the Burger King gang, then had an appointment to go to, then it was off for coffee with my other coffee gang. Went to the grocery store to pick up some fresh produce and a few other items.

Wandered around through the gardens looking for signs of Spring's soon arrival....only 16 days now....and found all of the trees, shrubs, and bushes have buds on them, and the crocus and daffodils are poking up a couple of inches out of the ground!!! YEA!!!

Went to our favorite 'hole in the wall' joint for fried chicken for supper early this evening. Been surfin' the 'net some looking for some hard to find items for my hobby....and I think I may have found what I was looking for!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:54 AM   #3569
Full time employment: Posting here.

Continued my clean out stuff project yesterday, (details saturday) income tax today, maybe a little cleanup if I feel like throwing things, and visiting tonight and tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:09 AM   #3570

Spent much of the past two days dragging samples of our bathroom and kitchen floor tiles, our kitchen backsplash and a drawer front from our cabinets to five different granite yards "assisting" DW in choosing granite for new master bath and kitchen counter tops.

Yep, the REW-whoos are about to spend some money. Please be aware the market has historically taken a significant slide when we have done so in the past. You are advised to reassess your asset allocation and take appropriate steps within the next two weeks to protect your portfolio.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #3571
Moderator Emeritus

REWahoo, you are going to love those granite countertops! Or at least, your wife will. My house had them when I bought it, and they look so nice. The recessed canister lights right above them allow them to shine beautifully. You may want to revisit your kitchen lighting scheme too (it never ends, does it?).

This morning, I awakened after sleeping over two hours longer than usual. Don't know why but I guess I needed it. It is nice to be able to do that! I am not going to do any painting today because in about an hour, we are going out to lunch and will probably spend the day together. The under-sink cabinet I did yesterday looks fantastic now that the paint has dried. I wasn't sure when the paint was still wet!

Old 03-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #3572

Quote:
The recessed canister lights right above them allow them to shine beautifully. You may want to revisit your kitchen lighting scheme too (it never ends, does it?).
Yep. It will definitely end when the money runs out.

We're hopeful we won't need any additional changes to the kitchen other than the new counters, a new sink and faucet. We already have recessed lighting in the ceiling as well as lights under the upper cabinets. The cabinets are oak, less than 12 years old and I recently gave them a new coat of urethane, so we are good to go.

BTW, I was absolutely astounded by the variety of granite available from all over the world (mostly seemed to come from Brazil, India and Italy). We saw some really beautiful slices of polished rock - and some ugly ones. DW ended up selecting two separate and very different patterns for the master bath and kitchen. I did some online searches last night and discovered both originated from rock formations in southern India located less than 40 miles apart.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #3573
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the variety of granite colors and appearances available is amazing, isn't it? Mine is black granite and was already installed when I bought the house. I just assumed that all black granite would be like mine, but through the years I have never seen a black granite countertop that I like as well as I like mine. Most black granite seems pretty uniform, but mine has enough variability to make it more interesting to me.

The lighting you have sounds like it would do the trick.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #3574

Quote:
Most black granite seems pretty uniform, but mine has enough variability to make it more interesting to me.
Because no two pieces of granite are exactly alike, the "uniform" black granite you've seen and the granite in your kitchen may be the same name/variety and come from the same place. There can be tremendous variation from slab to slab based on our experience.

DW found the "perfect" granite for our kitchen at the first wholesale yard our fabricator/contractor took us to visit. Unfortunately the two slabs she liked were already spoken for - and the other slabs in stock of the same granite were considerably different in color and pattern and just wouldn't do. We spent the next three hours visiting four other granite wholesalers looking at their stock of the same granite. None passed muster.

Fortunately one of the yards had a shipment coming in the next day and online photos of the individual slabs looked promising. We went back yesterday to get a look at them after they arrived and, thankfully, they got a thumbs up.

We're on schedule for the week of March 22. Supposed to take no more than five working days from start to finish. Ever notice the similarity between the words "supposed" and "suppository" ? Coincidence, I'm sure...
Old 03-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #3575

Enough of the snow has melted that I could get the motorcycle out of the shed and go for a longish ride. Although the windproof riding gear is great it's only good for about an hour at 40 F.

So now I'm looking at heated gear...
Old 03-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #3576
Give me a forum ...

Decided winter is substantially over. Mounted summer tires on car. I have two sets of rims w/summer and winter tires. Washed the car. Swept out the winter crud from the garage, then used the leftover soapy water to scrub the floor. Rinse. Did not repeat.

In a while off to the cafe for a nice cup of java and watch the world go by.

Can't get to the shed to pull the motorcycle out. 3 feet of snow in the back yard, firmly compacted. Maybe next month. In a few days drive over to the lake, to guesstimate kayaking season.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #3577

Went bird watching at Hornsby Bend (nice name for a sewage treatment facility). Seems like the spring migration hasn't started yet, but we did manage to get really close to this fine red shouldered hawk
Hawk1.jpg
And, the waterfowl were abundant as always. Here is a Shoveler looking very regal.
Shoveller2.jpg
Old 03-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #3578
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Went bird watching at Hornsby Bend (nice name for a sewage treatment facility). Seems like the spring migration hasn't started yet, but we did manage to get really close to this fine red shouldered hawk

And, the waterfowl were abundant as always. Here is a Shoveler looking very regal.
Nice pictures. I've noticed that one of the best places to bird watch in any town (or country) is the sewer treatment ponds.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #3579
Give me a forum ...

The emergence from hibernation continues...day 3 of 3 out and about.
I went to see my counselor - a positive thing I decided to do for myself recently. She gave me kudos for all sorts of the enhancing life energy things I currently do.
We talked extensively about me taking periodic solo trips south to the coast (like I did in January) to get my extreme restlessness about being stuck in East Nowhere solved. She also told me I was obviously bored with living in the middle of nowhere with no culture for almost 30 years, and from boredom comes an overarching feeling of personal dissatisfaction...yadda yadda yadda.
So I have a legitimate doctor's prescription for traveling more. My next trip is going to be to the Atlantic coast of FL once Spring Break season is done and over with.
My tax refund will be put to very good use.
Wooo Hooooooooooooo
Old 03-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #3580
Full time employment: Posting here.

I started my tomato plants from seed today. The first round (32 plants), anyway. I have them in those mini greenhouses and started on a heat mat. Once they germinate I'll start round 2.

This is my attempt to kick-start spring. Anyone else have some nice spring-like activities going? I have spring fever so bad I'm afraid it's gonna kill me!
Closed Thread