Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #3581
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
...This is my attempt to kick-start spring. Anyone else have some nice spring-like activities going? I have spring fever so bad I'm afraid it's gonna kill me!
Does watching the snow melt count?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #3582
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Does watching the snow melt count?
It does for me! I've been doing it, too, and celebrate whenever I notice those big "snow mountains" have gotten a little smaller.

I've also been walking around my yard, looking at the areas where the snow has melted. Lo and behold, I see the tops of some of my bulbs starting to show up! Exciting stuff...

Old 03-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #3583
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Woke up shortly after 6:00AM, which is very unusual for me. Could not get back to sleep, so made bed, ate breakfast and read some of Four Pillars of Investing, did 1 load of laundry, cleaned cat litter boxes and swept, did dishes (from previous night), talked to sister on phone, started reading the Fed tax forms, friend called, ate lunch, went to Beginning Bridge class, went grocery shopping and fixed dinner. Our Beginning Bridge teacher told us that she wants us to sign up for the Advanced Bridge Class through Olli in April. I told her that I did not even feel comfortable in the Beginner class (which we have done twice), but she insists that we are ready. I do not know the lady who will be teaching it, but I have decided that I need to get serious about trying to remember the rules better. I also need to play around online at some bridge sites. I am afraid that this might be the first class in my life that I am thrown out and that would be downright embarrassing!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #3584

Quote:
.........Anyone else have some nice spring-like activities going? I have spring fever so bad I'm afraid it's gonna kill me!
Yep, been out and about in the gardens looking things over, and finding signs of life in some of the plants. Some of the native prairie plants are starting to poke through last season's plant debris. I was also making mental notes about what I need to get doing in the few days, now that the weather is starting to warm up!

Only 16 days 'til Spring!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #3585
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
This is my attempt to kick-start spring. Anyone else have some nice spring-like activities going? I have spring fever so bad I'm afraid it's gonna kill me!
Also watching snow melt.
And looking at gardening catalogs.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #3586

Went on a tour of the Panama Hotel in Seattle. For those who have read Jamie Ford's The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, this is the place! The tour is conducted by the owner of the hotel, and she has amassed an amazing amount of history about the Asian International district, in addition to refurbishing the hotel spaces, and holding onto personal belongings that were not claimed after the war.

There was a woman in the group who had been interned with her family from the Seattle area in Manzanar. She looked carefully at the pictures the owners was displaying, looking to see if any of her brothers or sisters were in the material the owner was discussing and displaying.

Pretty Special! Great way to spend the afternoon.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:32 AM   #3587

[QUOTE=ls99;910693Can't get to the shed to pull the motorcycle out. 3 feet of snow in the back yard, firmly compacted. Maybe next month.[/QUOTE]

I feel for ya. I got mine out yesterday and went for about a two-hour ride. Borderline hypothermia by the time I got back, but worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike 2010-03-05 001.JPG (216.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #3588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post

Bless you Goonie!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #3589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Borderline hypothermia by the time I got back, but worth it.
Understand. Pleasure, pain, pleasure, pain, pleasure......

If the snow melt is going to be slow, I'll just go kayaking. Soon.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #3590

Quote:
I've also been walking around my yard, looking at the areas where the snow has melted. Lo and behold, I see the tops of some of my bulbs starting to show up! Exciting stuff...
Yesterday, the Bradford pear that Madam Cardinal is perched in was covered in buds. Today it is covered in blooms. Spring happened here sometime last night.
cardinal.jpg
She has something green in her beak. I wonder what it is.
Apologies for the slightly fuzzy photo.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #3591
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What did you do today?
Recreational planning and loosening the purse strings a little. We're way low on vacation budget spending and we don't have any big summer travel plans, so we decided that it's time to do something about it now and locally.

Next week I'm going to a day-long angel-investing seminar which starts at 7:30 AM and goes until the pau hana socializing starts. The "problem" is that it's "all the way downtown" and I'd have to drive 25 miles through rush-hour parking lots at 6 AM for over an hour. And the day after that I'd planned to go halfway downtown again for a lunch meeting. Why... why... that's almost 100 miles on the car in just two days!

Spouse and I realized that we could avoid the driving hassles with a Waikiki hotel room for a couple nights of a mini-staycation. It's a great break from the usual routine. Spouse will no doubt find Beach Walk and Ala Moana Shopping Center something to entertain herself while I'm hobnobbing the investing crowd. Our kid could run the house by herself (instead of expecting us to be on perpetual standby to support her and the latest angst/drama). After the second day's lunch we'd beat rush-hour traffic home to resume our parental responsibilities. We'd get a couple days' respite from the tedious little chores on the "To Do" list, and we'd enjoy surfing all the local opportunities that we never seem to take advantage of.

To say nothing of the opportunities of being temporarily childless in an adult playground...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #3592
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Planning ahead and loosening the purse strings a little.
I'm stunned.

What's next, T-Al goes shopping in a retail store rather than at a garage sale?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 03-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #3593
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm stunned.

What's next, T-Al goes shopping in a retail store rather than at a garage sale?
T-Al! OMG! Did anyone let T-Al out of the trunk?
Old 03-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #3594
Give me a forum ...

I read a really great story about a lady named Grace.

Secret Millionaire Leaves a Big Gift for Lake Forest College | NBC Chicago

Other than that, this is a goof off stay at home day. The sun is shining.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #3595
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm stunned.
I know, I know. I got the same incredulous disbelieving look from spouse when I proposed the idea. Or maybe she was just surprised that I was inviting her to come along too.

But you've seen Berkshire Hathaway's stock price this year?

Our kid has already informed us that it's not necessary for us to purchase parental plane tickets to accompany her to Rice in just 156 days. I can live without Houston in August with her recommendation-- I figure there's no better opportunity for her to learn to carry her own seabag...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #3596
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Thanks, Goonie, that's just what I needed to hear!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #3597

Booked a cruise to the eastern/southern caribbean...9 days...woo-hoo! Going next November.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 03-05-2010, 12:47 PM   #3598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Our kid has already informed us that it's not necessary for us to purchase parental plane tickets to accompany her to Rice in just 156 days. I can live without Houston in August with her recommendation-- I figure there's no better opportunity for her to learn to carry her own seabag...
Please forgive me if I have told this story before...

Houston in August is no fun, but one of my fondest memories of there is attending the reception for freshmen and their parents at the residence of the college master*.

We found the residence and rang the bell. The master (whom I had never met) and his wife came to the door and said something like:
"IndependentlyPoor, welcome to Rice, and these must be your parents. We are very pleased to meet you Mr. and Mrs. IP".

At that time each college had about 100 students per class. The master and his wife had taken the trouble to memorize our names and faces from the photos attached to our applications. It was the most flattering welcome imaginable, and a pretty accurate indication of how life at Rice was going to be.

The reception was super, and I think very reassuring for my blue-collar, high school only parents.

Anyhoo, unless daughter feels strongly about it I would go. Of course, things have probably changed in 30 some-odd years, but I hope not too much.

That said, Rice d@mned near killed me. I was in way over my head; some of the students there were just scary smart. I still have occasional nightmares about it.

*Rice has a "college" system. A college is dorm, but has a faculty member who lives there with his/her family. Colleges are a little like fraternities or sororities in that they are self-governing and have distinct personalities, but students are assigned randomly, so there is no social status associated with them. All in all, it is a great system.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #3599
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
T-Al! OMG! Did anyone let T-Al out of the truck?
You mean the trunk.

Quote:
Spouse and I realized that we could avoid the driving hassles with a Waikiki hotel room for a couple nights of a mini-staycation.
That sounds like a great idea. There's a lot to be said for walking across the street and surfing.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #3600
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Took my coins to the CU counting machine: $4.53 into MMA