what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I celebrated my 62nd birthday today, with Frank. At my favorite restaurant, I ordered the Chicken Florentine Special. This dish was sky high in calories but utterly unbelievable and completely worth it. We had a terrific afternoon together and just a cup of soup and small green salad for dinner after that lunch. Now that I am 62, I am officially old enough to be eligible for SS. I haven't claimed it yet, but it's kind of neat to know that I could at any time if I want to.

:dance:

Happy Birthday W2R. Many, many happy returns!

Ha

Reactions: W2R
Had the neighbor put the A/C in the window. Now prepared for next heat wave.

Happy Birthday, W2R! Your lunch sounds delicious and celebratory.

Did you buy yourself an iPad for your present to yourself :D ?

Thank you, BestWifeEver and everyone. :flowers:

No, I didn't buy an iPad (yet). For my birthday I bought a "skin" for my Kindle. Now that may not sound like much, until you consider the fact that it is totally, utterly useless and something nobody could possibly justify in a budget, not to mention a little silly - - complete fluff, KWIM? I love it. :D

Happy Birthday W2R! I hate to confess to being stupid, but what is a "skin" for your Kindle?

In my post wishing W2R a happy birthday, I forgot to mention what I did yesterday. We have a group of guys that play golf every week and like to visit diffferent golf courses. Yesterday we drove up into Florida quite a ways to Crystal Springs, a little north of Lacanto (west of Ocala). Played a course called El Diablo. Completely different than the courses around the Tampa area. This course was more like something in North Carolina. Lots of pine tree lined fairways and very a rolling terrain. Even different grass than what we are used to playing on. Very tough course but enjoyed the day. Hour and a half drive is a lot for us, but different and well worth the trip. Left at 6:30 AM and got home at 4:30 PM. Tired when I got home. Couple gin and tonics took care of the evening.

Making summer travel arrangements today. When I got to the rental car, the increased rates took my breath away. I tried an old discount code from my ex-employer and found the cheapest rate by about $300. I'm glad that I "lost" my employee ID card just before I quit. :cool:

Today is a rainy yucky day. I'll try to not go outside much beyond getting the paper and mail, but will fuel up the motorcycle and check the tire pressures in anticipation of tomorrow's forecast perfect weather.

DW is out having a "girl's day out" with her sister, who, btw, is intending to retire next August after 28 years of nursing. The corporate environment is getting downright hostile - they fired a bunch of nurses who couldn't get to work in three feet of snow last February - and working in a cardiac unit she's "tired of seeing people die". Um, yeah, I can see how that would wear thin.

Rain by the buckets.

Towed my Argosy trailer to have PA state safety inspection. I did thorough inspection a few days ago all was well. Darn if i did not miss a burned out license plate light. One hour and $35 later, new inspection sticker.

They do pull all 4 wheels to measure and record brake lining thickness. No sweat, installed 4 new brake assemblies last year.

I fixed the charger on Lena's Dell laptop. Wire was broken just at the plug that goes into the laptop, right there:

Plug.jpg

These things were not designed right. The cord can bend right at the junction with the plug, and eventually the wire (the shielded outside wire) breaks.

If you have one like this, I recommend preemptively wrapping some duct tape on there so that it can't bend at that location.

Happy Birthday W2R! I hate to confess to being stupid, but what is a "skin" for your Kindle?

Thank you, JOHNNIE36, CuppaJoe, and others for your happy birthday wishes. :)

JOHNNIE36, a "skin" is just a pretty design, like a decal except that it is easier to remove if desired. They are available for cell phones, laptops, iPods, e-readers, and many other devices. Here is the skin that I selected, out of hundreds of designs available. I would imagine that many people would agree that this is the most useless and frivolous birthday present one could possibly give to oneself. I am getting a big kick out of it.

The 15" Dell monitor on my desktop computer died on me yesterday after only seven years - blank screen with the power button flashing in two second intervals. A little research on the net listed those symptoms as a bad monitor, so I drug the old beast into the bedroom (I'm still talking computers here) and plugged it into our new 32" LCD TV to confirm. Worked fine, so off to Craigslist to look for a replacement. Found a guy who had just purchased a new Lenovo desktop with a 19" monitor but didn't want it since he already had a larger one. It was still in the plastic wrapper and looked like it [-]had just fallen out of the truck[/-] was straight out of the box. $85 and it was mine. Works great.

Sounds perfect, REWahoo! It's amazing how cheap monitors have become in recent years.

I wish to affirm that yesterday I did nothing. All day.

Well, actually I managed to keep myself fed & watered. And I also managed to start & finish Jim Butcher's latest Harry Dresden novel, "Changes". Whoa dude. Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to start reading it all over again to catch all the foreshadowing and allusions. This series is getting big & complicated enough to need a full concordance.

Today it was back to the grind-- helped a neighbor put up a half-dozen wall cabinets in her garage. She's from Trinidad, buys her curry powder from there in five-pound bags, and is one of the few people for whom we will definitely work for food.

Gave blood samples for CT stage of testing.
Bought too much stuff at farmers market, they had fresh rainbow chard.

I fixed the charger on Lena's Dell laptop. Wire was broken just at the plug that goes into the laptop, right there:

These things were not designed right. The cord can bend right at the junction with the plug, and eventually the wire (the shielded outside wire) breaks.

If you have one like this, I recommend preemptively wrapping some duct tape on there so that it can't bend at that location.

40 years ago I used to help a band with their electronic equipment. 99% of the problems were with the wire attachments to the plugs (just where you had your problem). I guess until everything is wireless this will continue to be a problem. :LOL:

I bought a new dryer . Apparently my appliances have rebelled . My oven stopped working and the door handle broke off ($270) and my dryer is so noisy you need ear plugs . It's really old so I am not even bothering with repairs . Thank heavens for budget padding !

Gave blood samples for CT stage of testing.
Bought too much stuff at farmers market, they had fresh rainbow chard.

I'm getting fresh veggies this year from a local organization that provides seasonal vegetables directly from the farmer. Last week my vegetable box contained some chard. They provided a recipe for the chard that was really good (and very simple). I hope the box that I get today has more chard - I had never ate chard before.

I'm getting fresh veggies this year from a local organization that provides seasonal vegetables directly from the farmer. Last week my vegetable box contained some chard. They provided a recipe for the chard that was really good (and very simple). I hope the box that I get today has more chard - I had never ate chard before.

If you get a chance, try beet greens. They taste like chard.

Picked up my produce box for the week.

snap peas
purple kohlrabi
looseleaf lettuce
kale
strawberries
spring onions
garlic

Next week is supposed to include beets, so Khan, I will save the beet tops too!

Served green beans, ham, tomatoes and cornbread fritters for supper tonight. :)

A little cornbread was left over, so I 'donated' it to the birds. They loved it and I'm quite sure some took the bread back to the nest to feed their babies. I hope I'm not contributing to hardening of the arteries in the little guys...:blink:

Finalized my next trip to FL at the end of this month. I got a great deal on the Blue Heron Beach Resort, a lakefront condo only complex 1 mile from Disney in Orlando. I am renting a family size condo for $118 per night + taxes and fees. No hotel room in the area came even close to that rate.

Hooray for JetBlue air + hotel + rental car packages. There were 3 openings left at that price and I grabbed it!

4 days in Orlando, 3 days in Tampa to visit 2 former colleagues BEFORE the summer heat gets too bad.
Look for me at Seaworld and Epcot Center! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom