Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #3641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm just relieved to discover that NW's planning to use it on the RV's rear view...
I don't think the camera would help that much with backing up in tight places. It would serve more as a reminder that there might be "things" back there that I might overlook. And then, eventually, same as everyone else, I will need assurance that the toad I tow is still back there, and I do not have to backtrack 200 mi looking for it somewhere on the highway shoulders.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #3642
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I don't think the camera would help that much with backing up in tight places. It would serve more as a reminder that there might be "things" back there that I might overlook. And then, eventually, same as everyone else, I will need assurance that the toad I tow is still back there, and I do not have to backtrack 200 mi looking for it somewhere on the highway shoulders.
Did you get one of the models with the new built in tire smoke detectors? Supposed to notify you almost immediately if you take off with the toad transmission in park. Never happened to me, of course...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 03-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #3643
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just got back from a 3 hour hike with the local Sierra Club. Fun day and beautiful weather!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 03-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #3644

It was rainy out this morning when I woke up, so I laid in bed and watched a couple of westerns on TV. After finally crawling out of bed and getting cleaned up, and we headed downtown to the Episcopal church for the free monthly community-wide spaghetti dinner, where we always get to chat with a bunch of our friends!

When we got back home, I watched the NASCAR race while I surfed and caught up on email and Facebook......oh, and here also!

In a little while I'm gonna place an order for some veggie seeds for the gardens. I think I might start some seeds this week so they'll be ready to plant out when the time comes!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #3645
Recycles dryer sheets

I spent the afternoon on a bicycle reconnaissance mission. What to do? What to do? It is time for me to get a bike and get back in the saddle. We had a beautiful day today with temps in the upper 50s. Ahhhh. After a winter like this it really feels good. The nice thing is that we are supposed to have 2 more days like this and I don't have to be inside because I don't work anymore.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #3646
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A backup camera is invaluable for oh, so many reasons. I am fond of saying that our Roadtrek can go anywhere a car can go. We were in New Orleans looking for a place to park at a large hospital. There were a bunch of parking places in front of the main entrance -- the pull in at an angle kind. I was driving along and there was one just past a pickup that blocked my view. I stopped put the vehicle in reverse to back up the foot (or so) that I needed to pull in properly. I hadn't gone six inches when I heard that terrible sound of two objects trying to occupy the same space. Looked in my rear view mirrors and saw nothing. Got out and found my spare tire carrier in the middle of this lady's front fender. (Her car still had dealer paper plates on it.) To make things worse, our vehicle suffered no visible damage.

Anyway, long story short, I now have a radio with a backup camera.

I has "saved" me a couple times since. Best money I ever spent.

It is particularly good when backing up at night in the dark, BTW.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #3647

Seems to me today that the universe gave to me exactly what I needed. Co-workers at my new job have been less than nice to me, and I've been feeling very alienated. Today, I went on a hike, and a coworker just happened to show up on the same hike. It was a complete coincidence.

She and I haven't had a chance to get to know each other since she works with clients in their rooms mostly (she's a speech therapist), whereas I am often in the gym with clients.

I was upset at first that she was on the hike...who wants to hang out with a co-worker on the weekend? However I think we found some commonalities that we share, and now I won't feel quite so alone at work. I think it was a blessing in disguise.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 03-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #3648
Give me a forum ...

Karma.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #3649
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Co-workers at my new job have been less than nice to me, and I've been feeling very alienated.
They ought not do that....let me at 'em...
Quote:
She and I haven't had a chance to get to know each other since she works with clients in their rooms mostly (she's a speech therapist), whereas I am often in the gym with clients.

I was upset at first that she was on the hike...who wants to hang out with a co-worker on the weekend? However I think we found some commonalities that we share, and now I won't feel quite so alone at work. I think it was a blessing in disguise.
Cool.....that's good for both of you.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #3650
Give me a forum ...

DH and I worked all day at the animal shelter with the shelter director. The conference room had some really nasty carpet in it. It had been there over 10 years, had tears and holes in it plus a multitude of stains of unknown origin. We tore it out and cleaned the tile underneath to remove the sticky glue residue. The tile was not in bad shape and cleaned up nice. What a difference. It smells clean and looks so much better. It's also much more sanitary since a tile floor can be disinfected.

This room is not only used for meetings, but houses small critters like birds, snakes are ferrets when there is an overflow. It also serves as a visitation room for prospective adopters to meet shelter dogs.

We used funds from the charity group I'm a part of for the project. $60 worth of cleaners, solvents and tools, and wow!! The local government that funds the shelter is, like many others, in a difficult situation so asking for money was not an alternative. Plus, the shelter is due to be renovated in a couple of years.

Funny thing is the shelter director has a PHD, I have a Masters and DH has a BS (engineering, so it counts more ). Talk about bunch of overqualified people doing carpet removal and floor cleaning!

We're tired but happy.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #3651
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Traveling alone a lot I have found the backup camera invaluable.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 03-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #3652
Give me a forum ...

OK. So, I did the right thing by making it top priority. It still does not cover the rear corners of the RV however, and I will have to rely on the door mirrors. It is highly unlikely that I will travel alone, and I already have walkie talkies for DW to give guidance.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #3653
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I already have walkie talkies for DW to give guidance.
Please be aware giving (and taking) directions while backing is not something that comes naturally to many of us. ("Left? Is that your left or my left?") Based on experience, I strongly recommend following the advice of a former US President and get out and take a look "Trust, but verify...at least until you both get divorced proficient.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 03-08-2010, 06:39 AM   #3654
Give me a forum ...

We have a system worked out that works for us when backing. I suggest that you agree what instructions from the spotter mean exactly before you start backing. And take it slow. Should not be a problem, especially if you are patient and start over if it isn't working.

- Will Rogers
Old 03-08-2010, 06:50 AM   #3655
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
We have a system worked out that works for us when backing. I suggest that you agree what instructions from the spotter mean exactly before you start backing. And take it slow. Should not be a problem, especially if you are patient and start over if it isn't working.
Among many references:

Backing Up the RV Rig - Proper Hand Signaling Technique
Old 03-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #3656
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just got back from a 3 hour hike with the local Sierra Club. Fun day and beautiful weather!
That's great to hear. I lead hikes with our local Sierra Club and like to promote it when I can. Good clean fun and we only charge a dollar (to offset mailing and liability insurance).
Old 03-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #3657
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
That's great to hear. I lead hikes with our local Sierra Club and like to promote it when I can. Good clean fun and we only charge a dollar (to offset mailing and liability insurance).
Thatís wonderful volunteer work, Travelover. I took two Sierra Club bus tours years ago. They can be great for getting around without a car or reducing your vehicle usage. The ones I took met at a central place with lots of parking & public transit and lasted a full day. I went with a friend but the bus was full and we had to sit apart, so we both got to know other people; it was my first introduction to bird watching enthusiasts. Highly recommended.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #3658
Give me a forum ...

Hiking With the In Crowd

Quote:
But tagging along with a local walking club on one of its scheduled outings is, for my money, a safer, surer way to see the very best of a place.

For a donation of a few dollars, or sometimes just for the asking, you'll get a tested route, plus companions who will keep you away from busy roads, point out not-to-be-missed attractions that only locals know about, and dispense advice on where to stop for a memorable snack. Club walkers tend to be over 50.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #3659

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I do trailering alone often. DW is not a camper type. Have lots of backing up experience with trailer, with or without guide. Also with motorhome.

When helpers are guiding, seems obvious, you should be able to see them from rear view mirror. Likewise, if they can't see you in the mirror they need to understand that you can't see them either. So stop, until visual is established. You may find radio chatter far too distracting.

Hand signals should always refer to where the rear end of coach/trailer should be going. Be sure you and helper look UP to find low overhead clearences. (Ask Martha ). Before parking, if under trees check for low and weak/dead limbs. If a storm comes up you may find interesting views through the roof.

When in doubt STOP. Get out and look for yourself. This may tick off whoever is guiding, but cheaper than fixing stuff. Practice.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #3660
Give me a forum ...

I did not try to back up an RV. Reading these RV posts makes me happy I just have an 18' powerboat and trailer to deal with. Whew!

I finished my decluttering pile.
I found a still w*rking Garmin GPSMAP 276C unit and a handheld marine radio that have sat unused since the sailing days of my past life. I thought about donating them as teaching aides to the local US Power Squadron. It turns out that a fellow boater at dh2b's w*rkplace is very interested in buying them. I'll let him make me a cash offer on the pair.