Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #3661
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went for coffee and breakfast with the gang at BK, came home and called to check on an order (will be delivered tomorrow), ran a few errands, then came home and had a ham, egg & cheese sandwich for lunch.

After lunch I went to a telenet class on morel mushrooms put on by the University of Illinois Extension. Then made a quick trip to the farm store to pick up some veggie and flower seeds, and a fancy glazed planter. Then back to the Extension office to drop off some seeds for the guy in charge, and also to chat with him for a while. Headed home and made a coffee stop on the way. Then headed out for supper at the local Mexican cantina.

Spring's really gettin' close!!! Only 11 days to go!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #3662

Bought some lawn fertilizer from the local big box store and for about the third time, looked at a neat tool, a Milwaukee digital inspection camera:

Milwaukee 2300-20 M12 12V Cordless Alkaline M-Spector Digital Inspection Camera

Since I'm about to undertake some wiring in the house to add an outlet for the laser printer (it draws enough power that it needs its own outlet) and there have been so many times in the past when it would have been useful. Look under the refrigerator, inside a car door panel, inside the furnace heat exchanger, behind the dresser, etc. Found it online for $99 and ordered it.

I told DW that we could save money doing our own colonoscopies. She was not amused.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #3663

Spied this fellow on today's walk. Whatbird says that Yellow-rumped warblers winter here, but we didn't see any until last week which makes me think they are just passing through on the way north.
Yellow rumped warbler.jpg
Old 03-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #3664

Temperature 62 F so I had to go for a bike ride:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Antitam 2010-03-10 001.JPG (91.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #3665
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Made it most of the way through a 400 page SEC filing. Now to entertain the kids by myself as DW will be at a dress rehearsal for her choir.

- Will Rogers
Old 03-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #3666
Give me a forum ...

Oh what a great day I had...Chinese buffet with the usual crew, coffee with a friend, very short grocery shopping and drug store stops, then home again home again hippity hop.
Sounds boring, huh ?
It was the SUNSHINE and mid 50s temps that put the cherry on top of the day. All I needed was a very light jacket.
I also bought two gorgeous orange canna lily bulbs to start indoors for the two large planters I place on my front steps. I have a very short growing season so I have to get a jump on sprouting them.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #3667
Recycles dryer sheets

I went down to the C&O Canal to have my first Bike Patrol volunteer training ride. We went 17 miles and I'm tired! And my tush is sore. Afterwards, I went to REI and bought some gel seated pants with the gift card I got for my retirement. I'm going to love this little volunteer gig. But I need to get back into cycling shape...

It will be good for me. And I like cycling.

The day was nice - upper 50s with a cloud cover for the most part. Now I feel like sleeping.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #3668
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I'll repost this:

Old 03-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #3669

Went for breakfast with the gang at BK again this morning. Then came home and enjoyed the beautiful weather....sunny and 64....NICE!!! Sat out on the patio and watched the birds, and cleaned up a few of our many gardens and put the debris on the compost pile.

Over all....another fabulous day in the neighborhood!

Life is GREAT!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #3670
Give me a forum ...

I had a nice day. Went dancing around noon. Went downtown to renew my driver's license, an interesting experience. Very crowded, the woman sitting next to me showed me her former license, "When I still had teeth." She described her breakfast, complete with poutine, steak, and eggs that she had earned panhandling on Market Street in Ballard. She assumed that I knew the dive on Ballard Avenue where she ate. To my uneasiness, I did know this establishment from eating many meals there myself. Then she said she would give me her low DOL service number if I took her across the street, let her pee and bought her a drink. I passed on this generous offer. Then she introduced herself and asked my name. "Ha". Oh she said, that's the name of the guy who drowned my friend by throwing her off a boat in Fisherman's Terminal. "Different Ha", I said. I must have looked hungry, because she then said she had food stamps and she would buy me some food if I went across the street with her. Then her number was called and she was gone from my life.

Next I had my eye exam. First time since I was 16 that I passed the eye exam and did not get a glasses restriction on my license.

Tonight I went to Happy Hour with a son. So great to see him. He told me that he was so glad he was born and grew up in Washington. He feels that Seattle, Vancouver BC, Portland and San Francisco are the only North American cities that would afford him the professional, city, social and recreational opportunities that he needs in life, with San Francisco being marginal because of the distance to mountains. He also told me that his older brother got a huge promotion. My sons love each other very much, and I am very proud to see this, as helping to foster this relationship was always one of my main goals as a father. I have been only moderately successful at best in many areas, but the father thing has gone very well.

Ha
Old 03-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #3671
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I made several salads and two large batches of soup.
Walked around the yard and looked at all the plants and buds showing up for spring.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #3672
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Walked around the yard and looked at all the plants and buds showing up for spring.
I did the very same thing today. In fact, it is one of the things I just love about this time of year - the promise of what's to come. The weather was warm and it was so pleasant out that I actually ended up weeding some of the front beds for an hour or so. It felt really good to be doing that!
Old 03-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #3673
Give me a forum ...

I had a really great session with my new life coach. This lady reads me like a book. She is asking me a lot of very tough questions and helping me explore options so I can resolve some mental restlessness issues. All good stuff!
Then I went to WalMart.
It actually wasn't too crowded or noisy at 1 PM. I was in and out of there like a hot knife goes through butter. I decided to be silly and bought myself a cute mascot for the passenger seat of my mid life crisis car. The sunglasses were a last minute add-on.
Still trying to think of a "good name" for my new little friend....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puppy.jpg (14.3 KB, 79 views)
Old 03-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #3674
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Still trying to think of a "good name" for my new little friend....

Scarface won't do....how about Pacino?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #3675
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Scarface won't do....how about Pacino?
Freebird and Pacino cruising in the 'Stang...good combo.

Pacino it is, then.

All of my 4 wheeled vehicles I have ever owned have had a single stuffed mascot, BTW. I refuse to grow up.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #3676
Give me a forum ...

Well, you've made me 'show and tell'...here's my riding companion...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01335.jpg (311.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #3677
Dryer sheet aficionado

Okay. Kung fu, sword forms in the morning. Then to the campus library, cruised the web. Wrote an email to my brother. Looked briefly at summer courses. Came home (biked), made lunch, to the photo lab to pick up some photos, then to the city library and browsed magazines (Harrowsmith, Chatelaine, ...), came home, made dinner for family, cruised the web a bit more, went for evening walk with family, now, got some ebay sale items to box up.

....V
Old 03-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #3678
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, you've made me 'show and tell'...here's my riding companion...
Oooooo...a real vicious looking mascot.
Name?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #3679
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Oooooo...a real vicious looking mascot.
Name?
That's right...sometimes I'm a softie...shhh, don't tell anyone!

Alas...no name...
Old 03-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #3680
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's right...sometimes I'm a softie...shhh, don't tell anyone!

Alas...no name...

I'll give this some thought...a blue (or purple?) Koala. From TX. Hmmmmm....let me sleep on that one. Zzzzzzzzz...

It gives me something to do tomorrow.