Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #3741
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
....My crocus are up but no signs of flower buds yet. Tulip leaf tips are up about an inch and greening up nicely. Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh
My crocus started blooming this morning!!! YEA!!! The daffs are about 6-8" tall but no flower buds yet....but soon! Rhubarb is poking up about an inch and half! The lilacs, snowball, hydrangea, and honeysuckle are all budding out! As is the chanticleer pear tree, which will be blooming before too long!!! Most of the roses are showing signs of life, as are all the other shrubs, bushes, and trees!!! Hollyhocks, poppies, maltese cross, sundrops, irises, sedum, and daylilies are all poking up through the mulch. And the ornamental grases are all starting to sprout new growth!!!

Oh yeah...Life is GREAT!!!

As for today...went to breakfast with my neighbor and another friend as we always do on Wednesdays. Came home and sat outside on the patio and enjoyed the sunshine, fresh air, and birdies! Then went to the usual hangout for corned beef and cabbage for lunch. Went out to my friends paver business to get some ideas and prices for some projects that I'm going to get started on VERY soon! Met up with an old friend for coffee and b.s session. Came home and sat on the patio again for a while. Then surfed the 'net 'til I headed out for nightly coffee run. Now checking email, forums, and Facebook before the pillows cal my name!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2010, 12:37 AM   #3742
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I would like to know:

1. How did you measure your sit bones.
2. How did you fashion the sun visor.
1. Got a piece of memory foam and a ruler. Put foam on a hard surface. Sat on foam with my knees up a bit. Got up quickly and measured the distance between the 2 indentations. Eh voila!

2. I used a broad brimmed straw hat that was never comfortable on my head. I cut a 3.5" wide visor from the brim using the helmet as a guide so it fit snugly up under the tiny plastic bill and tapered around to the sides behind the ears where there is a vent hole. I cut a generous width so it would shade the sides of my face too. Sort of a cross between a bonnet and baseball cap shape.

Once I was satisfied with the shape, I punched 4 metal eyelet holes (fabric shops have these) lined up with vents in the helmet. Then I sewed a cloth edging around all the edges to keep the straw from fraying.

I tried to find some sort of plastic but failed to find anything suitable. Stiff enuf to hold its shape in the wind but flexible enuf to form the visor.

It was a big hit with the other bikers. They said I shud market it.:-)

I attached the visor with skinny 8" cable ties threaded thru the eyelet under the plastic bill and thru the vent, snugged tight and made sure the head was in the vent hole so it couldn't scratch me. Clip the ends off and black ties makes it invisible.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #3743
Recycles dryer sheets

I rode 10 miles on the C&O canal tow path for my final training ride on my bike so now I am an official bike patroller! Then I wandered along the Potomac hinterlands to get home checking out different access points. Swung by the vet to get more meds for my dying 17 yo cat and called it a day.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:07 AM   #3744

Quote:
(snip) My crocus are up but no signs of flower buds yet. Tulip leaf tips are up about an inch and greening up nicely. Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
My crocus started blooming this morning!!! YEA!!! The daffs are about 6-8" tall but no flower buds yet....but soon! (snip)
The crocuses here have been and gone. Daffodils, flowering cherries, camellias, hyacinths etc etc are in full bloom. Still to come: rhododendrons galore. I love spring!
Old 03-18-2010, 04:57 AM   #3745

Went for an ambling 140-mile motorcycle ride out through Boonsboro, MD up some side windy road that went over a mountain and came out on MD RT 40 near Gambrills State Park. Followed some more windy roads (MD RT 17 north) and got lost, had to dig out the GPS to find out where I was after passing a sign that read "Welcome to Pennsylvania".

SBS (sore butt syndrome) forced the return to home. After grocery shopping and a dentist appointment I'll do that again today.

Now I'm trying to figure out a way to take photographs from the bike without having to find a safe place to stop, remove gloves, get camera from saddlebag, put everything back. Some of the scenery was worthy of picture-taking, especially the high-running creeks.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #3746
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My crocus started blooming this morning!!! YEA!!! The daffs are about 6-8" tall but no flower buds yet....but soon! Rhubarb is poking up about an inch and half! The lilacs, snowball, hydrangea, and honeysuckle are all budding out! As is the chanticleer pear tree, which will be blooming before too long!!! Most of the roses are showing signs of life, as are all the other shrubs, bushes, and trees!!! Hollyhocks, poppies, maltese cross, sundrops, irises, sedum, and daylilies are all poking up through the mulch. And the ornamental grases are all starting to sprout new growth!!!

Oh yeah...Life is GREAT!!!
I love this time of year.
I'm guessing within the next 2 weeks the same will be happening here. We can get snow falls (which melt) and freezing temps right up until end of April, so it's hit and miss.
In the meantime, I decided to add some of my own "color" to the landscape.

Can you say "tacky" ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pinkflamingoes.jpg (55.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #3747
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
1. Got a piece of memory foam and a ruler. Put foam on a hard surface. Sat on foam with my knees up a bit. Got up quickly and measured the distance between the 2 indentations. Eh voila!
I'm afraid that if I did this there would not be two little indentations.

Quote:
2. I used a broad brimmed straw hat that was never comfortable on my head. I cut a 3.5" wide visor from the brim using the helmet as a guide so it fit snugly up under the tiny plastic bill and tapered around to the sides behind the ears where there is a vent hole. I cut a generous width so it would shade the sides of my face too. Sort of a cross between a bonnet and baseball cap shape.

Once I was satisfied with the shape, I punched 4 metal eyelet holes (fabric shops have these) lined up with vents in the helmet. Then I sewed a cloth edging around all the edges to keep the straw from fraying.

I tried to find some sort of plastic but failed to find anything suitable. Stiff enuf to hold its shape in the wind but flexible enuf to form the visor.

It was a big hit with the other bikers. They said I shud market it.:-)

I attached the visor with skinny 8" cable ties threaded thru the eyelet under the plastic bill and thru the vent, snugged tight and made sure the head was in the vent hole so it couldn't scratch me. Clip the ends off and black ties makes it invisible.
Clever! I am often not good about wearing the helmet because I hate sun glare and want a bigger visor. Any chance at a picture?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 03-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #3748

Dropped the "I'm going on military leave for the next TWO years, starting April 5, 2010" bomb at the office today...

Supervisors not speaking to me now!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #3749
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have three of those little blue violets that are out. Daffodils and tulips are emerging from the ground. I have threatened the wandering chickens with the roasting pan if they so much as peck at a flower. Back to spring cleanup
Old 03-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #3750

BBQ for dinner today
Old 03-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #3751
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday we went on a bike ride along the Oregon coast. You can read a full report here.

Here's a photo and a video:

Old 03-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #3752
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
........................In the meantime, I decided to add some of my own "color" to the landscape.

Can you say "tacky" ?
Freebird, are those flamingos real?
Old 03-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #3753
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
First blossom today: purple crocus.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #3754
Dryer sheet aficionado

- Tried to get up at 6. Failed for the fourth day in a row (ever since Daylight Savings Time)
- Kung fu in the park this morning
- took son for walk, to post office, hardware store, Chinatown for lunch, home again, got sidetracked by neighbour and his two grandsons and went with the for another walk
- got home, did some plumbing repair of the wash basin in the basement
- walked back to HW store, got more liquid plumber
- made dinner, now playing on the web
Old 03-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #3755
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I'm afraid that if I did this there would not be two little indentations.

Clever! I am often not good about wearing the helmet because I hate sun glare and want a bigger visor. Any chance at a picture?
You would be surprised. Those bones are pretty good at showing up thru soft tissue.

Here's a couple of pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Helmet visor underside 100_1912.JPG (49.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Helmet visor side 100_1911.JPG (43.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #3756
Recycles dryer sheets

My early bulbs are out too - miniature iris & crocus.

I pruned some bushes today and did a load of laundry. My knee hurts so it was rather limiting. So I accomplished something today. It was a beautiful day today in the pre-spring days.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #3757
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Freebird, are those flamingos real?
Yes, I brought them back from my January FL trip. They were fine until the TSA guy gave them a hard time. Then it was nothing but long legged kicking and screaming.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:23 AM   #3758

Quote:
......In the meantime, I decided to add some of my own "color" to the landscape.

Can you say "tacky" ?
What do ya mean "tacky"? I have two sets just like those! Also have a bird bath with a pink flamingo base.....and a 30" tall concrete pink flamingo...and pink flamingo windchimes...and pink flamingo plant stakes....and....and....

So today I cleaned up 5 more flower beds and cut down all of the ornamental grasses since they are now starting to show new green growth coming up!!! And the daffs now have buds on them, so they'll be popping open in the next day or two!

Spring arrives here at 12:32 p.m. on Saturday...only 36 hours and 10 minutes away!!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #3759
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Now I'm trying to figure out a way to take photographs from the bike without having to find a safe place to stop, remove gloves, get camera from saddlebag, put everything back. Some of the scenery was worthy of picture-taking, especially the high-running creeks.
Vibration-stabilized helmet cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
Dropped the "I'm going on military leave for the next TWO years, starting April 5, 2010" bomb at the office today...
Supervisors not speaking to me now!
I'm trying to figure out if you're describing a problem or a solution...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #3760

Quote:
Spring arrives here at 12:32 p.m. on Saturday...only 36 hours and 10 minutes away!!!!

I can't believe we're down to the wire now!! Counting in hours instead of days!

I have crocuses, tete-a-tete daffodils, and a few of the big daffs in bloom now. Lots more to come! This is my FAVORITE time of year.