Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #3781
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
....with my hearing problem and what could be a vision problem in the future...really makes you think a little.
What? Glad you had it taken care of and are better today.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #3782
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I had a wonderful bike ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Had a great bike ride
Have you two rode RAGBRAI yet? RAGBRAI
Dave's Ragbrai Page
ragbrai pie - Google Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I had a regular eye exam yesterday morning after my complaining of flashes of light, etc.
Thanks for posting this. I've been seeing flashes of light and the Plaquenil I take for Lupus can cause retina detachment but I never knew light flashes were a symptom - I'll go see the opthamologist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I'm in Germany on business.
A retired couple on my route love Germany and go and just drive around hoping to find anything off the beaten path. They followed a sign endlessly one day, hoping it was a quaint undiscovered hamlet because the name was on none of their maps. The road sign said UMWEG - or in English detour - LOL. Gawd, that was the funniest story!

Old 03-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #3783
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Have you two rode RAGBRAI yet?
No, that certainly looks like fun. Around 1978 I rode from Ann Arbor, Michigan to the upper peninsula with about 350 other riders. A truck takes your tent and camping stuff to each day's endpoint (usually a football field). Those multi-day group rides are a great experience. Maybe we should do something like that again.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #3784

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
Have you two rode RAGBRAI yet? RAGBRAI
Dave's Ragbrai Page
ragbrai pie - Google Search

Thanks for posting this. I've been seeing flashes of light and the Plaquenil I take for Lupus can cause retina detachment but I never knew light flashes were a symptom - I'll go see the opthamologist.

A retired couple on my route love Germany and go and just drive around hoping to find anything off the beaten path. They followed a sign endlessly one day, hoping it was a quaint undiscovered hamlet because the name was on none of their maps. The road sign said UMWEG - or in English detour - LOL. Gawd, that was the funniest story!
We did Ragbrai with SIL & SIL's SO about 15 years ago and ranks as one of our favorite trips. Three of us biked while one of us drove my Jeep towing a pop-up camper to the next town or so. We switched drivers/bikers at noon every day, so that everyone had at least a half day of biking every day.

I want to do it again and I think I have DW and SIL on board. The only sticking point is accomodations - I may have to do a little better than the pop-up camper that we borrowed last time
Old 03-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #3785
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
You would be surprised. Those bones are pretty good at showing up thru soft tissue.

Here's a couple of pics.
That came out really nice! When I get back north I'll try it, I also have a straw hat I never wear.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 03-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #3786
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
That came out really nice! When I get back north I'll try it, I also have a straw hat I never wear.
Not sure what a straw hat will do for "seat indentations" but I suppose it won't hurt to give it a try...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 03-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #3787
Moderator Emeritus

Painted the master bathroom today. Hey, it's that time of the week when all the fun places get crowded for some reason.

We're replacing a huge, ugly contractor-grade double vanity with two singles, side by side. I have one ready to install, but am still tracking down a matching second one.

The Great Family Room Refit is on hold waiting for cabinet delivery. "Four weeks." Uh huh. I get the feeling that all subcontractors have memorized the dialogue from The Money Pit.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #3788
Give me a forum ...

I decided tonight when I looked outside that the end is near. It's snowing.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #3789
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I decided tonight when I looked outside that the end is near. It's snowing.
It was 71 here today. Not bad for the first day of Spring. But we have storms from your area headed our way. Suppose to rain tomorrow.

Took the mutt on a couple of walks today. Ran a couple of errands and that's about it. I did start my tax return, but got distracted so will work on it tomorrow. I can't believe I spent my entire working life crunching numbers. I hate doing my taxes.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #3790
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Today is honey-do day.
First on the agenda is dh2b's w*rk clothes laundry detail, then out in the yard for the annual pickup detail.
Hint: I have 2 dogs. Anybody want pictures?

UPDATE: We blew off the yard pickup detail. Laundry and homemade pumpkin pie won the day's chore selection battle.
Phew!! Last time I saw you, Rabbit, you were relaxing. I didn't know you were a vegetarian!

-------
Wisteria is in serious bud here, a sure sign of Spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0013.jpg (894.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #3791
Recycles dryer sheets

I clawed 6 garden beds to loosen the weeds while chatting with my mother on the phone. Hunted a dozen or so stink bugs. I've never had them in the house before but everyone is having trouble withem since fall. Beautiful day. My daffodils started blooming!
Old 03-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #3792
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
It was 71 here today. Not bad for the first day of Spring. But we have storms from your area headed our way. Suppose to rain tomorrow.
I'll go outside and blow really hard in the opposite direction just for you!
Old 03-21-2010, 01:26 AM   #3793
Moderator Emeritus

Our third surf session this week, and the other two were just a warmup for today-- 6-10 footers smashing in every 20 seconds for nearly two hours. Paddle in, down the face, bottom turn, off the lip, do it again until you're practically standing on the beach. Paddle back out, wait 19 seconds, repeat.

I was doing fine until the cold got to me. We've had some sort of front pass through and it was in the 60s this morning. I was already a little chilly when we paddled out, and the water must've been in the low 70s. Eventually I got too clumsy even for the smaller stuff. Next winter I'm wearin' neoprene, and this time I really mean it.

Our kid loves her new board.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #3794
Give me a forum ...

Some man made me go outside today and do the dog output pickup detail. Rain is in the forecast, and all my protests fell on deaf ears.
The algorithm: He raked, I scooped.
I decided to spare you all and skip posting any pics.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #3795
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Some man made me go outside today and do the dog output pickup detail. Rain is in the forecast, and all my protests fell on deaf ears.
The algorithm: He raked, I scooped.
My brother used to be a CFA(certified financial analyst), but now he runs a Proline Invisible Dog Fence business. He says that he is the only person for whom the smell of dog crap is actually the smell of MONEY!
Old 03-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #3796
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I biked about 15 miles on a nearby rail trail today. Beautiful weather and nice to be outside. Where's the Aleve?
Old 03-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #3797

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I biked about 15 miles on a nearby rail trail today. Beautiful weather and nice to be outside. Where's the Aleve?
I usually do 13 miles a day, but today I went way overboard and biked 42. Same thing here - great weather caused me to stay out there. Thanks for the Aleve reminder
Old 03-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #3798
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Crocus daffodils and squill in bloom, tulips and hyacinth up.
Seems to be a crocus crop failure.
Did end of winter trash gathering.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #3799
Give me a forum ...

I bought a used mountain bike for my 66 year old sister's birthday. Because her driveway is a half-mile of pot-holed, hilly, dirt road, she can't go on a bike ride from her house, so this might fix that.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #3800

Quote:
One of my favorite gag gifts was a large plastic dog poop. I kept it in the kitchen drawer next to the silverware and would ask guests to "hand me a knife please" and watch the reaction.

When I got married DW insisted on storing it someplace else. No sense of humor.