Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:35 PM   #3901
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I got tired of a schedule, so I think I'm 'moving on' to not really knowing or caring what day it is. Sounds pretty good to me.
Good move, after a decade you've obviously done your duty. When volunteering becomes a "job" you are no longer retired - time to go.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #3902
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went for breakfast with my neighbor and another friend, then came home and worked out in the gardens doing more Spring clean-up! Only 4 more garden beds to clean-up....tomorrow!!!

After being outside all day enjoying the gorgeous weather...sunny skies and 81...I fired up the the charcoal grill and did up a couple of extremely nice & tender 2-lb prime ribeyes...cooked medium...and a couple of big ol' baked taters, and about a pound of sauteed mushrooms!!!

Now getting ready to head for the kitchen to have some fresh strawberries over a hunk of angelfood cake, topped off with a generous "plop" of Cool Whip!!!

Life is GREAT....and those ribeyes were too!!!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:56 PM   #3903
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I turned in my resignation letter.....I got tired of a schedule
Gee, sounds like ER all over again! Good for you bbbamI!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:58 PM   #3904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Gee, sounds like ER all over again! Good for you bbbamI!
Ditto - good for you bonnie lass
Old 03-31-2010, 11:04 PM   #3905
Give me a forum ...

Today I had a very productive day at w*rk. After coming home I tallied all my information and calculated my NW, which I do annually on this date. NW has risen 23% since last year, due to a combination of LBYM, strong markets, additional portfolio diversification and a good deal or two. Very reassuring!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:17 PM   #3906

Drove out to the PD pistol range to renew my weapons permits and have my Get Out of Jail Card identification updated. Pack of retired guys/gals there as well, so we chatted about how wonderful retirement was.

One topic of conversation was about a man who has to be the oldest serving police officer in the U.S. He is 92 years old and refuses to retire. He swears that work is the only thing keeping him alive, because everyone he went to the police academy with died after retiring. He has no wife or kids so his pension and lump sum payment will just revert to the pension when he dies. That, or his cat will be the richest feline in town.

I first met the man 25 years ago, and he had hash marks on his sleeve up to his elbow (each one = 5 years of service). Darn things probably go to his shoulder today. Even then they had removed him from "real" police duties, and his job was to do the mail runs between his station and headquarters. His duties also apparently involved flirting with all the young female clerks in whatever division he wandered into.

We don't have a mandatory retirement age, but that's never been much of a problem because everybody eventually retired or died before they got to such an advanced age. We've had a few that tried their darndest, but nobody has come within anything less than 20 years of this man. The guy is still hanging in there, and has a near perfect attendance record (he told his bosses years ago what funeral home he prefers, "in case I don't come in to work one morning.").

He doesn't hang around for the money - back before direct deposit they had to order him to go deposit his paychecks because he was screwing up the books in payroll by hanging on to them for more than a year. He really believes he will live forever as long as he goes to work every day.

The most recent chief (an outsider from another state) tried to fire him because he thought he was a liability. Apparently his driving skills were deteriorating and he really didn't think it necessary to stay and explain himself after backing into somebody's parked car. After it got to be a bit too regular the chief decided he had enough. But he quickly learned that the man is something of an institution, if not a legend, in the black community. He worked one of the city's oldest historically black neighborhoods since WWII, and there's not a black elected representative/senator or council member that's served in the last 40-50 years, who he doesn't know on a first name basis. Probably knows their parents and grandparents as well. The chief got enough calls from powerful folks that he made some arrangements for the old man, and he no longer drives a police car. They have him assigned downtown doing something that gives him plenty of time to flirt with clerks.

A man who most definitely does not get the concept of retirement.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:21 PM   #3907
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
True, but what a great story, Leonidas!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:08 AM   #3908
Give me a forum ...

They will miss you, bbbamI.

But, but, but, what will you do all day?
Old 04-01-2010, 06:00 AM   #3909
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I turned in my resignation letter to the Director of Volunteers tonight. I've volunteered at the police department for nine and a half years and it's time to move on.

I got tired of a schedule, so I think I'm 'moving on' to not really knowing or caring what day it is. Sounds pretty good to me.
WOW, I go to bed early and look what I missed!

Sounds like a good decision if it was becoming a "schedule" thing. We don't need no stinking schedules in FIRE.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:08 AM   #3910
Give me a forum ...

Today is my 3 year anniversary of FIRE. No fooling

Accordingly, the cliche du jour is "3 is a charm".

What better way to spend it than to attend a retirement luncheon with a bunch of other retirees from the same zoo. BONUS points: the "dress code" for the event is casual.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:59 AM   #3911

Quote:
I turned in my resignation letter to the Director of Volunteers tonight. I've volunteered at the police department for nine and a half years and it's time to move on.

Wow, I had no idea you were contemplating this. Big change! Very exciting! Congrats!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 04-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #3912
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post

One topic of conversation was about a man who has to be the oldest serving police officer in the U.S. He is 92 years old and refuses to retire. He swears that work is the only thing keeping him alive,

A lot of people like this. My old company has an 85 year old salesman. He feels this way. Amazing he is able to hang in there as the salesmen are required to enter all sales orders on a laptop. He is as slow as Christmas on the pc, but he gets it done. Heck of a salesman though. Well liked by all. And he drives a Hummer.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #3913
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Congratulations on re-retiring !
Old 04-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #3914

Quote:

Have you got to turn in the gun, cuffs, badge, spray can, baton/sap/stick...?
You gonna devote all your new free time to us?
Old 04-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #3915
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But, but, but, what will you do all day?
Eh heh...yeah I wonder....that's the fun part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Wow, I had no idea you were contemplating this. Big change! Very exciting! Congrats!
Thanks....

I have been thinking about this for the past couple of months. Kind of a tough decision, but I've been dodging bullets for a while now....especially lately.

It does feel like I'm re-retiring ...but I don't think I'll get severance pay.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #3916
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
WOW, I go to bed early and look what I missed!

Sounds like a good decision if it was becoming a "schedule" thing. We don't need no stinking schedules in FIRE.
I snuck one in on ya didn't I?

Congratulations on 3 years of retirement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
You know me better than that...I have my own.
Quote:
But of course.......
Old 04-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #3917
Recycles dryer sheets

Beautiful day today - 75! My tractor fired up with only a little banging on the starter so my lawn is mowed for the first time. It really is spring - April 1st and the grass jumped up to 6 inches right on time. This about the first year I've been able to actually mow the grass on time and before it gets 12-18 inches high in the spring. I'm loving this retirement thing.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #3918
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
81 F
I declared today the First Day of Spring™.
Put out birdbath and clothesline.
Nothing quite like the smell of line-dried sheets.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #3919
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You forgot the whip but I'm sure that was personal property !
Old 04-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #3920
Recycles dryer sheets

Enjoyed walking through the neighborhood today and admiring all the blooming plants. Seems like with the great weather the past couple of days the blooms have just popped. Cleaned out leaves from the flower bed---pansies and daffodils are in bloom there now. Put a cheese souffle in the oven and surfing the net while it bakes. Life is good.