Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #3921
Moderator Emeritus

Man I love this thread. Spice addicts. Reading out loud. Laundry on the line. Police men who can't drive. Plops of Cool Whip.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #3922
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Nothing quite like the smell of line-dried sheets.
I can still remember my mother swearing a blue streak while she ripped bird-pooped-on sheets from the clothesline and stuffing them back into the washing machine.

Absent the bird-poop, they did smell good.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #3923
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Beautiful day today - 75! My tractor fired up with only a little banging on the starter so my lawn is mowed for the first time. It really is spring - April 1st and the grass jumped up to 6 inches right on time. This about the first year I've been able to actually mow the grass on time and before it gets 12-18 inches high in the spring. I'm loving this retirement thing.
About the same weather here. I tried to fire up my lawn tractor but it wouldn't start. The 2006 battery had run its course. popped a new one in and it fired up and ran fine. Better than last year when it burst into flames on its first start.

Used it to move some landscaping retaining wall blocks. Also burned the remnants of my old deck.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #3924

Butterflies.

The Botanic Garden has a Butterfly Exhibit, which ends this week. Nice warm tropical conservatory , with beautiful trees, shrubs, etc, and a bunch of butterflies. We risked the exhibit, realizing that the local schools were busing in lots of kids to gee whiz the butterflies. Here you are, watch the video. The Fort Worth Botanic Garden - Sanctuary for the Senses

Afterwards, lunch at Macaroni Grill. A nice nap. Now, I sit sipping Yellowtail Merlot, browsing the internet, waiting for the Mavericks to beat the Orlando Magic. Tomorrow is another day which I expect to be as good as this one.

I'm so glad I retired. Life is good.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #3925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I suspected as much so once during a Giants football game I told my husband I was emtying the bank account and running away with his boss . He didn't even flinch so I guess that membrame really works !
My two half-sisters still laugh about the time they asked preoccupied Dad "Can we put the cat in the meat grinder?"

"Sure, go ahead."
Old 04-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #3926

Took a 120-mile motorcycle ride. Finally, it's warm enough to take the insulation out of the riding gear, leaving only the mesh and padding.

Took tender care of the snow thrower. Changed the engine oil, greased and oiled parts that need it, drained the fuel from tank, lines and carburetor. Hopefully it'll be years before I have use of it again.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #3927
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
...Nothing quite like the smell of line-dried sheets...
Soooooo true. I've already dried some just so I can get that rush when I bury my face in them all folded up. Nothing smells like that, nothing. I have a clothesline just for sheets and it's probably not even legal where I live, but I'd pay the fine.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #3928

Won an informal dance off against my instructor. I'm not better, but I just had more endurance to dance all the way through Timbalero.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #3929

Yesterday I finally finished cleaning up all of the garden beds, and hauled most of the debris to a friend's big burnpile. Then got cleaned up and headed over to the Cajun restaurant down the road a piece for their Crawfish Boil! The owner had just gotten back at 2 p.m. after driving straight through from Lake Charles, LA, with a fresh load of them there little critters. And they were boiled and on my table at 4:00!!! Can't get much fresher than that around here!

So I had a few pounds of crawfish, a batch of red beans & rice (with smoked andouille sausage), a nice salad with garlic horseradish dressing, and a couple pieces of fried gator that my Mom didn't have room to finish!!!

Life is great...and Cajun food makes it even better!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (648.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #3930
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just finished my third free photobook from hotprints.com, and the second one I made last month arrived in the mail today.

You get one free book per month, and there's no shipping or strings attached. These books are impressive with great quality printing and nice paper. Highly recommended.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #3931
Give me a forum ...

Finally got my motorcycle out of the shed, installed battery, did crank up the third try, after some prep went for an hours ride on the back roads. Yippeee.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #3932
Give me a forum ...

I enjoyed 84 degree...yes you heard right...84 degree weather today.
We're having a heat wave...a tropical heat wave
I spread a beach towel out on my front lawn and started my summer tan for about an hour. Now this is what I call a really good FIRE day.
dh2b is "cooking" tonight - the Pizza Hut special on wheels.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #3933
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
82 here. Another clothesline day. Front lawn was mown.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #3934

High of 84 today. Too hot too early as far as I'm concerned. I took a bike ride on the Youghiogheny River Trail today with some friends from the office. Tomorrow I'm off to the other side of Pittsburgh to prepare Easter lunch for my 93 year old Aunt and her friends. It is an pleasure for me to be able to do this little thing for them after church services on Sunday. Aunt is my Mom's younger sister and the only sibling remaining on either side of my parents' family.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #3935

I was off from my part-time job today and actually paid for it since it is Good Friday. I never had it off as a holiday before, since I worked for the Fed Gov. We went to Rogers OH to a giant flea market. Flea markets are not my thing, but my DH enjoys them. It was hot, it was crowded and there was lots of junk and then some more junk. We left there and drove to Youngstown OH to visit DH's mom, who is in a nursing home. We always get her dinner whereever she wants and eat with her and then we drove home. It was around 300 miles. I am so glad to be back home. The good thing is that tomorrow is only Saturday!
Old 04-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #3936
Administrator

70 degrees and sunny today. Ate lunch at a tapas restaurant two blocks away. Woke the Z3 roadster from its winter slumber and drove around for a bit. Vacuumed and washed the hybrid inside and out.

Made fresh Italian sausage with the young wife. We just got the meat grinder last week and this was our first attempt. It worked like a charm. We're having sausage, pepper and onion grinders for dinner.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #3937
Give me a forum ...

I got dirty and sweaty.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #3938
Moderator Emeritus

Frank and I are on the second day of a spontaneous roadtrip/vacation, and it's been a spectacularly beautiful spring day. We have no schedule, routes, or destinations in mind. We don't have to head home until we feel like it, and (being new retirees), we find that concept is pretty hard to wrap one's mind around! Right now we are in our eventual retirement location in southern Missouri. We like being here.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #3939
Give me a forum ...

Got the kayak out, paddled around the lake for a few hours. Like having a private lake, no one else was on the water. Saw one fisherman on the shore...

On the way back home saw and was passed by swarms of weekend motorcyclists. Must be the herding instinct, 20 to 25 in a group. Good to be retired, I'll head out on the bike during the week.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #3940
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Frank and I are on the second day of a spontaneous roadtrip/vacation, and ... We have no schedule, routes, or destinations in mind. We don't have to head home until we feel like it ...
Sounds like RVing to me.
Closed Thread