Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #3961
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Another clothesline day
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #3962
Moderator Emeritus

Easter surfing. In the pouring rain.

An Army friend has had a tough few months since returning from Iraq (mother passed away suddenly from kidney cancer) but we finally got together at Sunset Beach. We started out on the Sunset break, which died fairly quickly, and decided to paddle south to Kammie's. We arrived just in time for the 8-12 footers and learned a lot about "toilet bowl" paddling.

Great surfing, and possibly the last of the North Shore winter season. Lots of good conversation about the state of the military (no better), his next duty station (six months), his retirement prospects (about three years) and what he'll be doing all day... he's not exactly struggling to come up with ideas.

Had a good nap, made fresh spaghetti sauce for dinner, and I'm looking forward to a leisurely day finishing our tax returns tomorrow. Yeah, tax returns. That's it.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:50 AM   #3963
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
and learned a lot about "toilet bowl" paddling.
Oh! How icky.

"toilet bowl" +paddling - Google Search

or would my curiousity be better spent here?

"toilet bowl" +paddling +surfing - Google Search=

(Click to enlarge)
Toilet Bowl.JPG
Old 04-05-2010, 08:57 AM   #3964
Moderator Emeritus

That was messy, turbulent, face-smacking varsity paddling with a little extra current to make it even more challenging. I frequently come home with tired legs & glutes from controlling the board but it's been a while since my pecs & deltoids have been this sore for this long.

There are plenty of places on the North Shore where you don't want to wipe out due to shallow water & coral-- Pipeline, Velzyland, Haleiwa, parts of Pua'ena, the beach break of Kammie's. Places I'll stay away from. A tube may be a wonderful experience, too, but the physics that create it require shallow water and a reef. Of course there are plenty places with (slightly) deeper reefs, great rides, and easier paddles-- Pua'ena & Kammie's again, Sunset, Freddie's, Monster Mush, many more I'll probably never get around to surfing.

I don't know what drives the guys who surf in waves over 20 feet. Of course younger guys (and they're almost always guys) are invulnerable and immortal. Technology & tactics are much better even over the last 10 years, allowing everyone to push the envelope. But I'll never get used to that "Oh, crap" feeling-- even looking up at a 15-20 footer, knowing that you should have paddled more outside but now it's too late, is the kind of life-changing anticipation I can live without.

The more I know about the North Shore, the more I prefer the south shore. North Shore just gets more crowded (and more tournaments) every year. South shore breaks tend to be wider so that there's not a crowded lineup clustered around one spot, the surf tends to be "smaller" (6-10' instead of 12-20'), and it's summertime so the bikinis are a lot smaller water is a lot warmer.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #3965
Give me a forum ...

Said my goodbyes at the police dept this morning. The women were fun and took me to lunch. Funny thing is...the men teared up and had difficulty speaking...this was something I did not expect.

I will miss them all.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #3966
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Said my goodbyes at the police dept this morning. The women were fun and took me to lunch. Funny thing is...the men teared up and had difficulty speaking...this was something I did not expect.

I will miss them all.
and I'm sure they will all miss you. Congratulations again
Old 04-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #3967
Give me a forum ...

Got up really early , had coffee, and emptied the dishwasher. I did some online ladies' body shapewear product research until 2 PM, and promptly fell asleep in the bright sunlight in the leather recliner.
Just woke up a little while ago. Did I miss anything good?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #3968
Give me a forum ...

Went to a funeral this morning. An old golf buddy who was 71 died from cancer. Three years ago he had colon cancer surgery, but knew it was advanced colon cancer. Sure enough, a couple of years later it shows up in his liver. He actually did well with it for over a year. Played golf, went to a lot of college football games in his RV(a fine one too) and truly looked fit. But first of this year the chemo treatments stopped working and he went down fast. And during his battle with cancer, his wife died from a sudden heart attack. So a sad final couple of years for him.

This afternoon took the mutt on a 5 mile hike on a pretty trail. He enjoyed cooling off in the lake. Now, time for a med.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #3969
Moderator Emeritus

Wheee! The cabinets for the Great Family Room Refit of 2010 arrived today. I stood around and watched some folks with more youth than sense unload a truckfull of boxes. Tomorrow they'll carry the cabinetry up to the second floor and install it while the master carpenter and I watch.

I also made great progress on the master bathroom, installing the two single vanities, plumbing and trimming them. The only trick was stretching the drain lines. Hacksaw and glue ABS pipe as needed...

Hey, it turns out that ABS cement contains all the neat stuff that model airplane cement had in it back in my misspent youth. Yow. The headache is fading now...
Old 04-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #3970
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got up early and went to see my Doc for my normal visit...b/p, etc. Got to his office half hour before he open...as usual....and visited with him and the nurse for a few minutes, then got down to business. Everything was good as usual!!! I was out the door and back home before he was officially open for business at 9 o'clock....as usual!!! Then I headed to Burger King for breakfast and coffee with the gang.

This afternoon I cleaned up one of my rose gardens, pruned them, and put down new mulch. Hauled the rose clippings and debris to my friend's burnpile, and came home for supper.....pasta shells & cheese, and ham with a bit of 'Bruce's Wasabi Pepper Sauce'.....Mmmm-Mmmm Good!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:54 AM   #3971

For some reason, I don't read this forum until the next morning. So, if I want to add to this thread, I always need to report on what I did YESTERDAY. Anyway, YESTERDAY, I bought a bike! - on sale too!

Probably nothing fancy, but I like it. It's a Trek with coaster brakes - just my speed. It shifts automatically - also just my speed. I'm a little rusty on my bike riding so wish me luck in not killing myself.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #3972

Got my tax return back from the preparer and reviewed it. Found out that he hadn't given me credit for my quarterly payments, turning a painful amount of taxes due into a nice refund.

It was all my fault too. I paid the first three quarterlies, then skipped the last one (figured I didn't need to), but my notes to him were so badly worded that he though that I hadn't paid any.

All fixed now and waiting for the refund check.

Life if good.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #3973
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday we drove south through Missouri and the hills of NW Arkansas (beautiful!) to Fayetteville. It is lovely, but after just a cursory drive around town we decided that it is not on the top of our list as a possible retirement hometown. Then, we drove back to New Orleans, arriving here in the wee hours.

It's great to be back home. I think we'll stay here for a few years until the housing market recovers (at least).

Looked at my portfolio and love the way the market has been behaving lately.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #3974
Give me a forum ...

I had a pure unadulterated DDS day.

I'm expecting "The Party" in my mailbox from Netflix. All I have to do is walk down the driveway and get the mail. In a few minutes...

I redeemed myself in the later hours. I did all my Points of Interest research for upcoming trip. Got my printouts, contact info, and hours of operation all set.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #3975
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I took a nap & now I can't find my glasses; aging is a total pain..
Old 04-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #3976
Give me a forum ...

Made a fabulous Boeuf Bourguignon from Julia Child's cookbook. It's pretty much an all day affair, but I did have time for a morning run. Also decanted a nice Bordeaux to go with dinner . . . not bad for a Tuesday. It is Tuesday, right?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #3977
Administrator

Watched our UCONN women's basketball team win their second national championship in a row and complete two perfect 39-0 seasons.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #3978

Went for breakfast with the gang....but I was the one to show up today! So I enjoyed the solitude! Came home and played on eBay again for a while, and picked up a few more hard to find (if not impossible to find) items that I'd been wanting to get for a long time (hand-crafted and/or limited production stuff for my model railroad).....for cheap! Then after a hard day of not doing too much at all, I ordered a pizza from the Deli for supper!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #3979

Well, it's 12:01 a.m. here at the old homestead, and today...the 7th...is my 3 year anniversary of being officially FIRE'd!!!

Life is Really GREAT!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:04 AM   #3980
Full time employment: Posting here.

Monday was gardening and general cleanup and odd job day. Yesterday was stomach flu day. Boo HISS. Today Is better but definitely not full of energy. Hatched 14 baby chicks in the incubator.