Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #4081
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Had a busy one here today. Did my 3 miles on my treadmill, seemed like a good day for it as it has been bucketing down all day.

We bought a condo in Hawaii on Friday, so have been busy since then gathering all the necessary paperwork to get this thing thru to the end. Have to say not something I would want to do every week.

Just getting ready to cook a chicken and vegetable stir fry for dinner.
DangerMouse, I just loved the juxtaposition of your treadmill/stir fry story with buying a Hawaii condo. Sort of puts life events into perspective, eh?

If I may ask, which island did you choose? How will you survive not being able to move immediately? (I guess I shouldn't ask such a question as I purchased my original condo here almost 30 years ago and didn't move until a couple of years ago.) From what I can see of your pictures, you have a beautiful place.

I'm sure this wasn't a spur of the moment decision. Have you visited the Islands often? We actually purchased our first place on our second visit to the islands. We spent 30 minutes in the place and decided "that's it"! Love is funny that way.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #4082
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Played golf today. Hit the ball pretty well but can't putt to save my life. Missed a putt less than 2 feet for birdie. Spent some time with my best buddy this afternoon, which made me feel better. Here is a pic from just a couple of hours ago enjoying the warm Spring day.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #4083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
DangerMouse, I just loved the juxtaposition of your treadmill/stir fry story with buying a Hawaii condo. Sort of puts life events into perspective, eh?

If I may ask, which island did you choose? How will you survive not being able to move immediately? (I guess I shouldn't ask such a question as I purchased my original condo here almost 30 years ago and didn't move until a couple of years ago.) From what I can see of your pictures, you have a beautiful place.

I'm sure this wasn't a spur of the moment decision. Have you visited the Islands often? We actually purchased our first place on our second visit to the islands. We spent 30 minutes in the place and decided "that's it"! Love is funny that way.
We bought in Honolulu. Not being able to move now, still working on that one, trying to formulate a plan that can work to get us there sooner than later. At this time winning the lottery seems the most obvious solution, just have to try and work out how I can get the winning numbers in advance of the draw. We have been to Hawaii at least a dozen times. It is an ideal location for us because it is so close to Australia and overall we just like the Hawaiian attitude to life. I have always dreamed of living there, there were other locations in Europe that we were considering, but the weather really tipped it in Hawaii's favour.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #4084
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Think this posting pictures may be beyond my technical ability.
Here, let me post your condo's exterior shot with you standing in the driveway:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DangerMouse condo.JPG (198.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #4085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Here, let me post your condo's exterior shot with you standing in the driveway:
hey Nords, you weren't meant to out me and expose my wealth for all to see. Actually I have an identical shot from my last trip with me posing in front of that very building.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 PM   #4086
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
hey Nords, you weren't meant to out me and expose my wealth for all to see. Actually I have an identical shot from my last trip with me posing in front of that very building.
Oooh, sorry, I posted the wrong photo. Here it is!

And have you met your new neighbors yet? Just kidding...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Waianae.jpg (7.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Kipahulu feral pig hunters.jpg (70.0 KB, 117 views)
Old 04-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #4087
Give me a forum ...

W*rked this morning. Took this afternoon off (it's a beautiful day) and attended an excellent financial seminar offered by my bank. Big cheese from Tronna was presenting on current and future economic and market developments. Good questions (including mine). He agrees that modern portfolio theory is dead and recommends US healthcare stocks. (He said a lot more and explained it very well, but this is not my homework).
Old 04-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #4088
Give me a forum ...

I went to Chinese buffet and had some great laughs with the crew. On the way home, I had to go see how the small lake (that I keep my boat on in summer) was doing. I am pleased to report that the ice is completely melted. I found a discarded mass of chives sitting at my little boating club with roots exposed in one of the landscaping garden beds. I decided to give the poor neglected things a good home.
Came home and did a little "double check how last year's bathing suit fits" exercise. Suits are a little big on me but still OK.
Beach towel...check. Sunscreen...check. Beach tote bag...check.
My complete for the day was making and freezing single serve portions of a huge pan of goulash for dh2b so he doesn't singlehandedly drive up Arby's and Burger King's stock while I'm gone.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #4089

Quote:
In every state I've called home, you could go to Spencers Gifts at the mall and buy "devices" that hum. No, they weren't anatomically correct, but I think most folks knew what they were used for 95% of the time.
These definitely weren't anything like the toys you are used to buying at Spencers.
Quote:
Are they illegal in your state? If so, I'll be sure to visit as I'll feel so much safer there than at the mall.
Not any longer. You are free to come here and buy all you want.

I didn't write the laws, I just enforced them. It is a simple exercise in living in a republic of laws - if you don't want to go to jail, don't break the law. If you don't like the law, get it changed. It's taught in every 8th grade civics/government class in the nation.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #4090
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Beach towel...check. Sunscreen...check. Beach tote bag...check.

I'm getting ready for my trip up to Lakewood ,NY
1- real shoes not sandals
2-socks
3-multiple sweaters
4-long pants
5-rain jacket
6-several presents for my Grandson

I'll probably pass Freebird in the air !
Old 04-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #4091
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I'm getting ready for my trip up to Lakewood ,NY
1- real shoes not sandals
2-socks
3-multiple sweaters
4-long pants
5-rain jacket
6-several presents for my Grandson

I'll probably pass Freebird in the air !

I'm flying out on the 20th. Wave if you see a JetBlue jet going by in a southerly direction.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #4092
Administrator

I have a stomach bug, with the runs and heartburn BOTH (totally no fair!).

And, as if that wasn't enough, I threw my back out somehow yesterday and couldn't sleep all night due to the pain.

It's still better than the best day at w*rk.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #4093
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
what did you do today?
Abso-freakin'-lutely nothing. Glad to have taxes finished.

Oh, I've caught up on e-mail and some interesting corners of the Internet. And I'll probably go to taekwondo practice tonight. But otherwise the broken microwave oven can wait until tomorrow...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #4094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
These definitely weren't anything like the toys you are used to buying at Spencers.Not any longer. You are free to come here and buy all you want.

I didn't write the laws, I just enforced them. It is a simple exercise in living in a republic of laws - if you don't want to go to jail, don't break the law. If you don't like the law, get it changed. It's taught in every 8th grade civics/government class in the nation.
No thanks, don't want any (anatomically correct or "generic").

I hear you Leonidas and I meant no criticism of you. Still, I'm always amazed when an entire state adopts laws that seem so (what's the word?) "judgmental". Here in Paradise, we have a couple of gals advertising (admittedly on late night TV) some of those anatomically correct devices - all colors of the rainbow. Just the names make me giggle and blush in front of DW as we play channel roulette.

I guess my real concern would be that folks seek to control private behavior that has no spill over into public (unless "real" laws are being broken as well).

Again, I understand that LEOs just do what they are told to do.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #4095
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No thanks, don't want any (anatomically correct or "generic").
Well, don't Google Fleshlight then. And definitely don't watch the "Quick Video Demo."
Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #4096

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Well, don't Google Fleshlight then. And definitely don't watch the "Quick Video Demo."
Don't you know that telling someone NOT to do something is the wrong approach? You gotta use a little reverse psychology.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #4097
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Don't you know that telling someone NOT to do something is the wrong approach? You gotta use a little reverse psychology.
Or so the Wife of Bath Says:

"Forbid us thing, and that desiren we" (Canterbury Tales)

Old 04-15-2010, 07:50 AM   #4098

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Wow, one can learn so many interesting new things here!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #4099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Wow, one can learn so many interesting new things here!
Oh, I learn new things here all the time, but something tells me to pass up this opportunity.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #4100

Picked up my motorcycle at the shop with a new rear tire and had to go for a ride.

Photoshop Elements 8 arrived at the front door and I had some time to play with it before leaving with DW for the last session of the digital photography class. Left thinking about a better camera than the one we have.

Ordered some books on Photoshop from Amazon. There is a steep learning curve to the software.