Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #4141
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Made love with my wife and girlfriend, all in the same day
My goodness! Taking a step on the wild side, are we?

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #4142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

Three possibilities:
1. You are cheating
2. You got married today
3. You got divorced today, but it was very amiable!
I'm guessing they are one and the same, since after checking your profile and seeing your birthdate, I suspect any of the other three options would probably have left you incapable of typing.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #4143
Give me a forum ...

About to go see the WigWam Motel on Route 66. It's only 9 miles from the motel we're staying in in Loma Linda Ca. Remember the animated movie Cars? They didn't invent that old route 66 motel. Then up into the San Bernardino mountains to look at an old 1938 rock house for sale. Like i want a house in Cahliforniah. Sure can't argue with the weather and palm trees and I'm a sucker for rock houses though.. Funny - I'll stew and delay and put off buying a car, but a house? that i've no problem buying. weird.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #4144
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I can't help wondering if this is in some way related to W2R's sudden move out of Hawaii.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Well, if I had KNOWN about it...
I do remember hearing about plans to no longer dump raw sewage in the ocean off Oahu. This was about 50 years ago so hopefully that has been taken care of.
Nah, it's worse than ever.

The state's entire sewage infrastructure is rotting. Our monthly sewer bill is $60 for the "base charge" (first 5000 gallons of effluent included) and $2.50 per thousand gallons above that. It's all a desperate struggle to replace piping that's 40-50-60 years old.

Four years ago there was a 40-million-gallon rupture of a 42" main into the Ala Wai Canal. (Sewage closes Waikiki beaches - Environment- msnbc.com) It was flushed out to sea just in time for the tide to start flooding, and Waikiki beaches were closed for days. "Smaller" ruptures are reported in urban mains all the time as the ground shifts and compresses old cast-iron (even clay) piping. The state didn't even pass a law to eliminate cesspools until five years ago.

The irony is that Oahu hardly treats its sewage at all. Settling tanks for solids and the rest is pumped out to sea at a depth of about 3000 feet. (The lobby at the Dept of Environmental Services building displays posters of living-color underwater photos of the huge, happy critters gamboling about the sewage discharge pipes.) There's only one tertiary-treatment plant on Oahu, and that only because it discharges its effluent into Lake Wilson-- the water reservoir for Wahiawa and local communities.

A minimum of secondary sewage treatment is required by federal law. Hawaii has been litigating against the EPA for years and is facing fines of over a billion dollars to incorporate secondary treatment methods. The state's been refusing to do so because they claim there's no discernible adverse effects around the outfall piping. (This appears to be solid science, so to speak, but still difficult to accept.) The reality is that there's not enough money to keep the primary pumping system in operation, let alone upgrade it.

This would be a bad time to get into the details of what the Navy's allowed to do in the ocean with nuclear reactor coolant...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #4145
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Made love to my best friend!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #4146

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Engine stalls?!!

Thanks for the details regarding the flight. Even with the engine stalls, that is one event I would LOVE to experience!
Probably either practicing aerodynamic stalls in which the airplane is slowed to the point where it simply stops flying. Sounds scary but it's a gentle maneuver - the nose drops a bit and airspeed (and lift) resume since you're already close to flying speed anyway.

Or he was practicing engine-out procedures, a normal training routine in multiengine aircraft.

Neither is dangerous or out of the ordinary.

Now, if you get a chance to go on an acrobatic ride, grab it. There's nothing like a series of rolls, loops, spins, inverted spins, etc. to make any roller coaster in the world anti-climatic.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #4147
Give me a forum ...

On a bike ride, I passed a girl on a bicycle, and saw that she was texting.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #4148
Moderator Emeritus

The senior prom.

OK, OK, I wasn't actually at the senior prom, but I didn't really have a choice whether or not I'd share in all the vicarious thrills & chills.

Spouse, an experienced emergency-planning and disaster-recovery officer who can read a calendar and is no fool, somehow chose the prom weekend to be the middle of her shipmate's shopping vacation. In spouse's defense, a couple months ago she did provide parental support for the girlie stuff like dress shopping, shoe selection, and a couple of other topics which are so TMI that even I wish I didn't know why they're TMI. However she did that stuff with our kid because she enjoys doing it, not from feelings of absentee guilt or because she wished to help me avoid pain or guy incompetence. It would be like me preparing for deployment separation by taking our kid surfing every day.

Spouse also missed out on the pre-prom drama, the prom drama, and the after-prom drama.

I'll start with the LBYM aspect of the prom. There is no LBYM aspect to a prom... there's only "how far above your means you are living while you are getting ready to go to the prom." In this case the damage could have been a lot worse.

Prom ticket: $0 for her, $75 for us parents. (We got off cheap, too!)
Dress: $30. (Ross Dress For Less. For you guys, apparently this amount of money for a clothing article is considered to be stupendously cheap. Go figure.)
Hair: $40. (Guys: refer to my previous parenthetical commentary.)
Nails: $40. (Guys: makes sense to us. Acrylics are synthetic and tougher and last longer, so of course you're going to spend more money on bigger and more powerful tools. Post-prom, they make great slot-head screwdrivers, too.)
Makeup: $40. (Guys-- back to the first comment.)
Shoes: Free. Already had 'em from another "mandatory footwear" occasion.
Limo: Free. Another parent has a cousin in the business.

It never in my life would have occurred to me to utter the sentence "And that makeup price is a good deal, too, because it includes the false eyelashes!", let alone assess a financial transaction as "good" because it includes more fake stuff.

Our kid was actually stressing out more over the preps than the event, because she is about as far from a girlie-girl as you can get. Under normal circumstances if you offered her a free manicure or a free bucket of used surfboard wax, she'd be the first one out on the waves. She owns zero skirts and only two dresses, both of which are suitable only for proms (or bridesmaids), but she owns approximately three dozen pairs of surf shorts. (I'm so proud of her.) She didn't listen to her mother It never occurred to her that she'd need appointments for hair, nails, & makeup, so the day before the prom she found herself struggling to schedule this tech-support team alongside approximately 20,000 other stressed-out teens. (The girlie-girls made this year's prom-prep appointments the day after last year's prom.) She had no idea what she was getting into, either, but she suspected that the Macy's makeup counter was probably going to attempt to upsell her. She was also very concerned about buyer's remorse.

So as the prom approached she shared all of these concerns with me-- repetitively and at length. (For some reason spouse's phone kept going to voicemail.) I tried to help out by explaining to her that the prom is a tough time for guys, too. For example we actually have to find a rental tux that goes well with dress sneakers. Then there's the whole issue of whether to shower or shave-- surely there's not enough pre-prom time to be expected to do both. Next there's the whole debate about deodorant & cologne. But my topic tactics pretty much guaranteed that there was not going to be any discussion about sexual activities.

We decided that it's her money and her choices, it's her choice what to do with her body (makeup and otherwise), and if she doesn't perceive value then it's not worth spending the money. Then we got into the whole "What if..." discussion and decided that these types of experiments are best done for fun (and for absolutely no reason) instead of for an evening when it all has to work out perfectly or everything is "ruined". She finally decided that she might as well experience this stuff now rather than later, if for no other reason than to entertain her girlie-girl friends. The hairdresser turned out to have a makeup guy on staff (oddly enough, he was indeed a guy) so she didn't have to deal with Macy's sales pressure. And one of those friends offered to pay half for the cost of the manicure, so that tipped the deal. Apparently seeing our kid sportin' acrylic nails is considered an attraction worth paying money for, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

The prom itself was anti-climactic. A wonderful time was had by everyone, and she was home by 11:15. (For some reason the planned post-prom co-ed sleepover had difficulty finding a venue.) The biggest drama was the couple who broke up last month (a month after they bought their non-refundable prom tix) but who decided to "get back together for one more try" at the prom. Didn't work out. Explosively. With many many cell-phone photos on 500 Facebook pages.

Thank goodness the prom drama & angst is behind us for good. Now all that's left is three AP exams and a graduation party. And after that we're all done with the parenting stuff, right?

Eight more days until spouse gets home. At least that's what she claims...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
"LOL, lk ma no hnds!!"

followed shortly thereafter by:
"OMG!!!!!!!!"

and then still later by:
"911 "

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #4149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Eight more days until spouse gets home. At least that's what she claims...
Kinda missin' her, huh? ....btw, you're a great dad.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #4150

Nords, I love your description of all the girlie stuff. You are a great dad and you are gonna miss her and of course, the dad stuff will never be over for your little girl.

You are starting to sound like you miss your wife. Hang in there.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #4151
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Thursday I managed to drop a pot of chicken soup to the kitchen floor; slip cleaning up stuff. Need someone to help move the fridge.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #4152
Administrator

Quote:
Dress: $30. (Ross Dress For Less. For you guys, apparently this amount of money for a clothing article is considered to be stupendously cheap. Go figure.)
Cheap? That was cheap fifty years ago. Nords, that is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
The prom itself was anti-climactic. A wonderful time was had by everyone, and she was home by 11:15.
Again, how terrific! That way nobody had to worry about her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Thank goodness the prom drama & angst is behind us for good. Now all that's left is three AP exams and a graduation party. And after that we're all done with the parenting stuff, right?
Yeah right? WRONG I have to admit that when my daughter married her true love (and Intel geek) last October, I stopped worrying about her health and welfare quite so much.

I can relate to all the single parent, or temporarily single parent stuff since my ex went to sea a lot. I remember attending football games in the snow to watch her play in the band. My ex would have enjoyed being there so much (had he not been at sea) and I didn't understand football at all, so I was just the wrong parent for that. But I wanted my daughter to know that her parents were proud of her band accomplishments.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #4153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You are cruising the wrong neighborhood:

Start the Day.jpg
Old 04-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #4154

Great story. Made me appreciate my sons even more.
Quote:
Then there's the whole issue of whether to shower or shave-- surely there's not enough pre-prom time to be expected to do both.
Thank the Lord that the youngest one has discovered showering as a pre-date ritual. It took some of what his mother calls well-meaning advice. Which means she usually has to apologize after saying it.

"You're going out with X tonight?"

"Yep"

"You know, you've been played basketball for 2 hours, and sparred for another couple of hours, and you haven't showered. You were dripping sweat earlier."

"It's okay, I'm dry now."

"But there's some residual issues to deal with"

- blank stare in return -

"Son, you smell like burned Fritos. You need to take a shower. And I mean that in a mommy-loves-you kind of way."
Old 04-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #4155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
You are cruising the wrong neighborhood:

Attachment 8841
That looks like Dave Ramsey on the bike. He must have used his scissors on something other than credit cards in this pic.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #4156
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Great story. Made me appreciate my sons even more.
Thank you, I enjoy occupational therapy writing them.

I think daughters are God's little karmic punishment to fathers for our teenage behavior...

"Smells like burned Fritos". I'm gonna get some use out of that!

Old 04-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #4157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The senior prom.

OK, OK, I wasn't actually at the senior prom, but I didn't really have a choice whether or not I'd share in all the vicarious thrills & chills.

Spouse, an experienced emergency-planning and disaster-recovery officer who can read a calendar and is no fool, somehow chose the prom weekend to be the middle of her shipmate's shopping vacation.
"911 "

Your wife is having a margarita and saying thank god I passed the prom drama with a capital D to Nords !
Old 04-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #4158
Give me a forum ...

Packed, watered house plants, mowed the lawn, ate tortilla chips with melted cheese as a late lunch.
Spring flower and garden report...
I enjoyed the first opening of the tulips in my raised flower garden bed. Grape hyacinths (pic below) in a smaller bed in the back yard have finally spread out and were just gorgeous. A row of mature lilac trees of several varieties have tiny little flower buds just starting to form.
I checked my mini-vineyard and am happy to report that ALL 3 cold hardy seedless grapes I put in last year have survived their first winter and have lots of leaf buds developing. Strawberry plants are developing leaves and have spread out beautifully. Blackberry bushes have new leaves and look very healthy. Garlic bulbs that I missed harvesting last year have sprouted and will be divided and replanted when they get a little bigger.
I will be very busy with tending my little green friends in a few weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grapehyacinths.jpg (70.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #4159

Nords - Wow, your daughter got off cheap for the prom! Kudos to her! Oh, the big drama of gearing up for a black tie event (prom, per se) does get a little easier - next time she'll schedule the pedicure that includes the massage! All the rest sucks! (shopping, makeup, hair, bleah!) Good on ya!
Old 04-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #4160
Give me a forum ...

Great story Nords....you will miss DD when she goes to college!