Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:42 AM   #4161

Nords - great story on your daughter's prom prep. I suspected that it was like you described, but I wasn't sure. DW still goes through similar regimens for weddings, etc. I'm thankful I'm a guy and do not have to go through such agony.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #4162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been working on building a new raised-bed garden for my tomato plants for the last couple of days....only a few hours each day. Hopefully I'll get it finished today or tomorrow.....no hurry. I took up what little grass was in that area, cut and laid down some 5/4 vinyl deck planking to keep the 3" x 8" redwood timber from being in direct contact with the soil below. Then cut and stacked the 3" x 8" redwood timbers two high, bored a few 1/2" holes around the perimeter, and drove 3' lengths of 1/2" rebar down through it into the ground to hold everything square and level.

Today, I need to drill and bend a few pieces of strap steel to reinforce the ends to the sides. Then lay several layers of old newspaper on the ground to prevent any possible stray grass roots that I may have missed, from poking up. After that I'll fill it up using a combination of Fertilome Potting Mix, mushroom compost, and vermiculite. Probably next week I'll take the tomato plants out of the greenhouse, and plant 'em in there new home!!!

I salvaged the 3" x 8" redwood timbers and rebar from a demolition project several years ago before I retired. The vinyl 5/4 was scavenged of the scrap pile at our local lumber yard. So all that I had to purchase was the potting mix, compost, and vermiculite....and I got all of that for very reasonable prices from the local feed & seed store.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #4163
Moderator Emeritus

STILL working on the Great Family Room refit of 2010.

Carpeting goes in today, for the family room. master bedroom, walk-in closet, stairs and landing. (Tract home... Rebuilding the stairs with proper oak treads was not in the budget, so we're recarpeting the plywood. ) No, I hired a local business to to this. I'm not completely crazy.

Cabinets and lighting are all in. Sound system wiring is done. A couple of items of furniture will arrive shortly. Almost done!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #4164
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
... so we're recarpeting the plywood. ) No, I hired a local business to to this. I'm not completely crazy.
Some home-improvement tasks will never be DIY. When we were getting rid of our old carpet, the prospect of doing the steps looked ugly from the minute we tore out the padding. When the pro did the installation, I was sure that he was underpaid.

At least carpet is less maintenance than the wood finish on treads. Or were you planning on diamondeck with non-skid?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #4165
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Had to go to the mall. Saw a duckling on the sidewalk and thought, 'man..gonna have to take this little fella to the animal shelter.' Then I heard a guy make quaking noises. Apparently he was taking his duck on a walk.

Well, there was a Petco nearby....
Old 04-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #4166
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
At least carpet is less maintenance than the wood finish on treads. Or were you planning on diamondeck with non-skid?
Well, I thought about that, but I couldn't find anyone to weld a set of stairs with a 70 degree slope.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #4167
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Well, I thought about that, but I couldn't find anyone to weld a set of stairs with a 70 degree slope.
Did you really need a photo of that in your family album?!?

On that vessel, I'm surprised photographers weren't shot on sight...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #4168
Confused about dryer sheets

Started a consulting job today. Got a call last week from an area city mgr about problems on a city street project. Met with all parties this morning and I'll be looking after the next concrete pavement pour to help work out problems. Oh well, a little spending money for whiskey and cigars.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:27 PM   #4169

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19kilo View Post
Started a consulting job today. Got a call last week from an area city mgr about problems on a city street project. Met with all parties this morning and I'll be looking after the next concrete pavement pour to help work out problems. Oh well, a little spending money for whiskey and cigars.
That's a good ER strategy. If you shorten your lifespan then you don't have to save as much. Those last 10 years aren't very good anyway
Old 04-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #4170
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Did you really need a photo of that in your family album?!?

On that vessel, I'm surprised photographers weren't shot on sight...
I borrowed from another person's album. On the Parche photographers WERE shot on sight. That made being the assistant ship's photographer hazardous...

Meanwhile, the carpeting crew finished up, and I reassembled the master bedroom. Oh, they SAY they'll move all the furniture, but they didn't reckon on my waterbed.

"One... Two... Three... LIFT!", and the next sound is the popping of discs...

I was a nice person, and drained and dismantled the softside mattress, and detached the massive solid wood headboard and footboard. They helped me re-spot all the hardware, and I got the whole thing reassembled and ready for use in a couple of hours.

Back in the family room, the only item installed is my elliptical trainer, ready for daily torture exercise. I have a couple of items to assemble, and the Killer Sofa From Heck arrives Thursday. Three reclining sections, separated by wedge-shaped pieces with storage and cupholders.

Hey, this is the first major piece of furniture I've bought in 20 years, as part of the first interior workover I've done in 23 years. (I've still got a waterbed, fercryinoutloud...) Don't tell DW, but that family room is starting to look a lot like a home theater.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #4171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Some home-improvement tasks will never be DIY. When we were getting rid of our old carpet, the prospect of doing the steps looked ugly from the minute we tore out the padding. When the pro did the installation, I was sure that he was underpaid.

Thanks guys , You've given me a great idea . I hate my present stairs . They are oak but ugly and scratched plus they have tile on part of them . That is the world's ugliest tile . I was thinking about having the tile torn out and redoing the staitway but instead I am going to carpet them and have the bannister reppainted . I'm doing a few remodeling jobs . Right now I am travelling but when I return . I am getting into the great den redo and follwed by the bedroom redo . In a year or so I am planning on selling so I figure I might as well get these things done now . Actually I do the planning and picking out the colors and materials and Gary carries the projects out .
Old 04-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #4172
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spent yesterday at the new house site, builder was using a crane to lift the beams and rafters for the roof. All went like clockwork with a lot of coordination. Starting to look like a house now.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #4173
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Dave, thanks for posting this, I enjoy watching the progress you're making in building your house.

BTW, what's the concrete structure in the foreground - your fallout shelter survival bunker garage?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 04-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #4174

People still have waterbeds?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #4175
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Spent yesterday at the new house site, builder was using a crane to lift the beams and rafters for the roof. All went like clockwork with a lot of coordination. Starting to look like a house now.
Thank goodness everything's going well. Maybe it's all the home-improvement shows I watch, but when I read the first sentence of your post I thought it was going to switch to "And then..."

Old 04-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #4176

Wow, much progress is being made on your house. I enjoy watching the progress also. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #4177
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the comments and so far, no big issues. The logs for the house are cut and milled at a sawmill in PA to the specs that are submitted by our builder. I've been amazed at how tight things have fit together and how little persuasion (large mallet) has been needed.

Only downside so far has been that the well ended up needing a lining to prevent crumbling stone from falling in on the pump which was about a $2200 item and we only have 4 gallons per minute of water flow. That should be plenty for normal residential use and we don't plan to have any large lawns that need irrigation or cutting, lol.

The concrete in the front is the foundation for a 3 car garage (lowest level) and then the builder will frame a 28'x36' single story on that foundation that will be my workshop. We hope to get that dried in around early June so I can do the siding, wiring, and plumbing while I'm on site watching the construction of the house the rest of the summer.

House is targeted to be done early fall but we don't plan to move there until next year full time. We've told the builder that we're no in a hurry so there may be some times where progress is pretty slow. Some of his guys are staying overnight on the site to be able to start early and work late but are only there 3 or 4 days a week.

We are amazed at the number of decisions that go in to a house and we're really just getting started as we start finalizing on the interior finishes, colors, appliances, etc. Hope it doesn't get overwhelming for my DW as she tends to agonize a bit more on that type of thing than I do.

Here's a link to a blog with more details on the house construction for those interested and thanks again for the comments:
Romney West Virginia Log House Build
Old 04-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #4178
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
We are amazed at the number of decisions that go in to a house and we're really just getting started as we start finalizing on the interior finishes, colors, appliances, etc. Hope it doesn't get overwhelming for my DW as she tends to agonize a bit more on that type of thing than I do.
Uh oh. This could be a problem since, based on our experience, you really do have to pick out everything - down to the hinges on the kitchen cabinets, the door knobs, the electrical switch plates, the toilet paper holder, etc. As you fear, it really can be overwhelming.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #4179

Yesterday was rainy/yucky so played around with Photoshop. A steep learning curve on that.

Took DW out to dinner with a gift card to her favorite restaurant. The gift card was a "thank you" to her for watching after their toddler for a few days.

Took some pictures of DW and I'm starting to get the hang of layers in Photoshop and using them to soften features in a portrait photo. She's gonna like the results!
Old 04-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #4180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yesterday was rainy/yucky so played around with Photoshop. A steep learning curve on that.
Check out Julieanna Kost's Blog featuring her 1-2 sentence tutorials. That should help dampen the curve.

Closed Thread