Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:10 AM   #401
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went and threw down about a thousand bucks a costco. $400 would buy the equivalent amount of stuff in the states. Meat was about a quarter of that, including a $30 turkey weighing in at 13#. Later in the day, I saw a 24 pounder going for $100 at another store (this is already translated to US$ folks...a hunnerd bucks for a frozen turkey...). Went to another place to get the rest of the supplies for thanksgiving and tossed down a couple hundred more. (canned cranberry sauce for $5 each, canned yams for $3.50 each, sour cream for $8 a pint...too expensive). I read somewhere that this year's average spread for 10 people was avg about $46...about 6-8x that here for 7 of us. Not all of today's shopping was for turkey day, catching up on some other stuff too.

Came home, cut up the meat into meal sized portions, wrapped it and froze it. Made a french onion soup, picked up DD from the school bus stop 2 miles away, came back home, ate my soup, playing online now.

R

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #402
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Thanks for the info. Wouldn't you know it, suppose to be flying over at this moment. But it's cloudy and raining here. I'll check later in the week.
dh2b is the astronomy nut in the household, so credit goes to him for this geek-speak, with my commentary. it's a 2-for-1 techno-geek special today.
please look at the column labelled Elevation (angle). the higher the number, the higher in the sky it will be. elevation angles are measured from the horizon (elevation zero), not the vertical. an elevation angle of 90 degrees means directly overhead. you will see the longest track across your viewing location. 30-45 degrees is good too.
we've seen it here several times while outside in near black sky. we can easily see satellites, but this was unmistakable. wow
the Shuttle is currently attached to it, last we checked, so the combo of the ISS and the bright white Shuttle will reflect the sun even better.
if you have background light pollution, find a darker place with no artificial light.
i'm out in the boonies. we have coy dogs and everything.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #403
Give me a forum ...

laundry day - all slaves must report immediately!
called security company to schedule service call for low battery signal
shovelled back deck (3" snow). yawn.
set up seed and suet block for my feathered friends
goofed off online
listened to classical music all day

i'm so stressed ! NOT!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Went and threw down about a thousand bucks a costco. $400 would buy the equivalent amount of stuff in the states. Meat was about a quarter of that, including a $30 turkey weighing in at 13#. Later in the day, I saw a 24 pounder going for $100 at another store (this is already translated to US$ folks...a hunnerd bucks for a frozen turkey...).
Okay, I have to ask. Where are you living that stuff costs that much?

I want to make sure I never go there....
Old 11-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #405
Dryer sheet aficionado

As the resident hunter-gatherer, I picked up a 25-pound turkey at the local supermarket for $12.50....there's a lot of grocery store competition in our area. We make up for it , though, in high property taxes, state and county income tax, and the ridiculously high cost of services.
Said turkey will go through the time-honored stages of Turkey, Turkey Salad, Turkey Pot Pie, and last but not least, enough home-made Turkey Vegetable Barley Soup for a week.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #406
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Worked a little this morning. Had lunch at the golf club(too cool for golf), raked leaves this afternoon, and watched some football. Watching OK and Texas Tech play right now. BTW, my Bullies beat Arkansas today. Ark must really suck this year.
Sunday was too cool for golf? Saturday was much cooler here in Laurel.
Most of us played on Sunday afternoon. Very pleasant.
By the way, Ole Miss taking care of LSU was great, wasn't it?
Even if you are a MSU fan.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #407
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Other than being another year older, went to small claims court.

Where facing the prospect of explaining to a judge the local zoning officer's sloppy and incompetent work, the township refunded my zoning hearing board fees and court fees.
A seven month hassle with the town came to a close.

Never ever give up or give in to town bureaucrats!

Next I'm writing a summary of the experience to the local paper, hopefully they will publish it.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #408
Give me a forum ...

I applied for SS, even though I had planned to wait until I was 70. I think the balance has tipped toward taking the money and investing it, rather than waiting.

Ha
Old 11-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #409
Give me a forum ...

We went to the American Indian Museum which was interesting then walked forever to the reopened American History Museum . Great museum just too much too see in one day so we will return tomorrow . We had dinner at an Irish Pub that is attached to the hotel .
Old 11-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #410
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
A cold blustery day with flurries.

Made *'garbage soup' (from mother): broth, frozen leftover meat and vegetables, and throw in some starch (cooked rice/pasta).

*AKA: refrigerator stew, slumgullion, SLOP (stewed leftovers on potatoes)
Old 11-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #411
Give me a forum ...

drove for the DAV transportation network - had a great conversation with a new passenger, a proud father of 8 grown children. put on 118 miles round trip. no heavy snow as predicted, whew!
elected dh2b to be the hunter/gatherer, gave him a shopping list and off he went.
watched dh2b snowthrow 4" of heavy slush off driveway and back deck.
reminded myself to definitely keep him
Old 11-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #412
Give me a forum ...

Got up at 6:30, had breakfast and then got in an hour of work. Headed to the golf course and got in 18. Afterward, picked up a few things for my mom at the grocery store. Got home and started the chore of cleaning up my house. One of nephew's and his bride to be are staying with me for Thanksgiving. I'm pretty much a slob and will only clean up my house when I have to. Made some headway but more to do tomorrow. Got to work a couple of more hours for my company project so I better get at it.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:46 PM   #413
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am happy to report that I completed the NYT crossword on both Monday and Tuesday. First time ever. They get progressively more difficult each day of the week so by Wednesday I start to struggle but recently I have been doing a lot better.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #414
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I am happy to report that I completed the NYT crossword on both Monday and Tuesday. First time ever. They get progressively more difficult each day of the week so by Wednesday I start to struggle but recently I have been doing a lot better.
very impressive.
i have never been able to do crosswords. i have a strong vocabulary but i can't get it visually or by deduction. now give me a Jumble puzzle and i zip right through that. i play killer Scrabble.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #415
Give me a forum ...

the plan...
clean 5" of wet sticky snow off car.
weekly chinese buffet with former fun co-w*rkers.
dive into Bogle's new book, "Enough" and temporarily disappear from the planet for a few hours.
make pumpkin pie from scratch.
push snow off back deck and outdoor jacuzzi. go in jacuzzi.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #416
Give me a forum ...

Workin' at the court this a.m. I have a couple of errands to run after I leave this joint. Once home, log on the forum and bake bread and pies this afternoon. Possibly sip a little JD during the kitchen activities....
Old 11-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #417
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I applied for SS, even though I had planned to wait until I was 70. I think the balance has tipped toward taking the money and investing it, rather than waiting.

Ha
Don't forget that you can withdraw your app at age 70, pay the money back (that you've invested), and start over.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:21 PM   #418
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Got up at 6:30, had breakfast and then got in an hour of work. Headed to the golf course and got in 18. Afterward, picked up a few things for my mom at the grocery store. Got home and started the chore of cleaning up my house. One of nephew's and his bride to be are staying with me for Thanksgiving. I'm pretty much a slob and will only clean up my house when I have to. Made some headway but more to do tomorrow. Got to work a couple of more hours for my company project so I better get at it.

Don't forget to put the toilet seat down.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 11-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #419
Administrator

Frank and I are "playing retired" in our ER location of choice, in Missouri. We have been sleeping in every day and then doing things like reading in the reading room of the local library, checking out the gym facilities in town and a nearby marina to the north, trying local restaurants, and today, he got a haircut in an old time barbershop and talked to the other men in there about hunting.

It is going to be tough to go back to work next week!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #420

Sulked over the demise of my Imac G5. Went to Hooters to cheer myself up. Stocked up on beer for Thanksgiving.