Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #4341
Dryer sheet aficionado

Saw my doctor. He'd run multiple tests and . . . .I'm healthy and normal.

So I'm confirmed healthy and FI (although waiting for a number of questions to be answered)

Just waiting for the right oppourtunity to tell the boss to take this job and . . .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #4342
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bought our tickets on Priceline to go see our grandbaby in San Diego next month. I can't wait to see her and of course our DD and DS-in-law. It seems like forever since we have seen them (12/4/09). I hope that she remembers us.

Then went to Mexican restaurant with the ladies from work. One of our gals is getting married, so we gave her her gifts and had good drinks, good food and good conversation.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #4343
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Bought our tickets on Priceline to go see our grandbaby in San Diego next month. I can't wait to see her and of course our DD and DS-in-law. It seems like forever since we have seen them (12/4/09). I hope that she remembers us.

I talk to my grandson via skype every week . This keeps the connection going between visits . Have a great time !
Old 05-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #4344
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I talk to my grandson via skype every week . This keeps the connection going between visits . Have a great time !
Well, that answers the question of your "avatar".

Yes - been to the seafood restaurant several times just left of the "sculpture" on our trips out west (we live between NYC/Phila).
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #4345
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Well, that answers the question of your "avatar".

Yes - been to the seafood restaurant several times just left of the "sculpture" on our trips out west (we live between NYC/Phila).

My Avatar is the statue the "kiss" which is currently residing on the bay front of Sarasota,Fl. where I live .There is currently a petition going to keep the statue permanently .
Attached Images
File Type: gif victory.gif (136.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #4346
Give me a forum ...

From that angle it looks more like an assault or a vampire thing.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #4347
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took pictures of four dogs at the Humane Society, and wrote their descriptions for the websites. Completely emptied out the kitchen, and washed the floor (even behind the fridge)!! New stove comes tomorrow.

Late lunch, then a nap.

Ahh . . . retirement!

-- Rita
Old 05-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #4348
Give me a forum ...

Had a pretty good day today. Portfolio stayed flat even though the market was down. Yes, I do own some stocks. This morning I took the mutt on a 5 mile walk at a local park. And I had some success getting him to swim. He would never swim for a ball, stick or even treats. Would just wade out in the water. But took a rubber training dummy, tied a cord to it and threw it out for a feet and increased the distance on every throw. Of course rewarding him with treats. And before you know it, he was swimming. He looks like a lab but is actually a labx so maybe he just doesn't have the born in swimming genes a purebred does. But, I think he is headed in right direction.

Now, time for a much needed med.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #4349
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Wore a bra for 10 hours as it didn't seem worth the trouble of undressing and redressing.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #4350
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My Avatar is the statue the "kiss" which is currently residing on the bay front of Sarasota,Fl. where I live .There is currently a petition going to keep the statue permanently .
Well, I see that it moves around a bit ...

Same statue - different location (3,000 miles away)...

Here's a link to show where it resided last time - next to the USS Midway:

California Destination Guide: The Kiss Statue USS Midway San Diego
Old 05-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #4351
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Had a pretty good day today. Portfolio stayed flat even though the market was down. Yes, I do own some stocks.
Now, time for a much needed med.
Argh!!! I am down 0.46%. This emoticon is now mine!
You don't need med. I do!
Never mind, your med is too diluted for me. Mine is 80 proof!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #4352
Administrator

I am only down 0.28% since yesterday. Barely perceptible! I'm happy as can be, and I am still up 2.04% since February 1st.

Life is good, and retirement is still sheer bliss. When is the honeymoon period over anyway? I'm working on month 7.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #4353
Moderator Emeritus

Trumpeter swans at wildlife refuge in northern Minnesota. Nice birding day but too many woodticks.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 05-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #4354
Recycles dryer sheets

Painted. More precisley primed. It will be good when it is all done. Making some progress on my do list.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #4355
Moderator Emeritus

I seem to be the family go-to guy for home electronics. In a challenge to replace a dead videotape machine at the father-in-laws place, I found that it's getting really hard to find electronics that put out a picture on analog channel 3. Yup, that's how his TV was set up, with a tree of A/B switches and a stack of electronics all putting out signals on channel 3.

So, today I went shopping for a TV set made in this century for him. I found a nice one for cheap at a local big box store, with all the right modern inputs. Now I just need to convince him to part with some of the less-used peripherals. Betamax VCR, anyone?

Sometime in the next few days I expect to be rewiring his home entertainment system...
Old 05-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #4356
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I would love a little boat like that. What did it/she cost, and how much to maintain? Is it necessary to have a tow-ready vehicle?
I bought a similar model (Sea Ray 175 BR) in '95 for $8500 from my credit union's repo lot. Dry weight is 2100lbs., so fairly easy to pull.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #4357
Give me a forum ...

The guy I bought the RV from was also selling a boat, which was more than 10 years old, but in really good shape. The clock on the inboard engine read 100 hrs. It was kept under cover hence the seats were in good shape. It seated 8.

He offered me a heck of a deal if I bought both, and towed away the boat with the RV. Never owning a boat in my life, DW and I were really, really tempted. We refused, because we were not sure if the RV would fit in my driveway, leave alone an additional boat. The next day, as we picked up the RV, he said he already sold it for $800 more than what he offered me.

The problem with owning a boat in AZ is that the lakes here are not appealing to me. If I were up in the Puget Sound, that would be the first thing I bought.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #4358
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Wore a bra for 10 hours as it didn't seem worth the trouble of undressing and redressing.
Lol! Now that's a properly lazy FIRE comment.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #4359
Give me a forum ...

Played golf this morning and had a decent day. Rained this afternoon so have been indoors watching stock market crap. Portfolio down .68% today.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #4360
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Played golf this morning and had a decent day. Rained this afternoon so have been indoors watching stock market crap. Portfolio down .68% today.
This took my portfolio back to February 12th. Here we go again.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread