Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #4481
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today I tried to ignore the trolls....

Oh and this is a pic of DH...he was a sub in a band last night. He's the one with the 'big' bass....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg band.jpg (338.8 KB, 14 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #4482
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Today I tried to ignore the trolls....

Oh and this is a pic of DH...he was a sub in a band last night. He's the one with the 'big' bass....
Well isn't he the cutie pie--no wonder you're occasionally giddy !
Old 06-06-2010, 06:11 AM   #4483
Give me a forum ...

Today I am watching the rain falling. We've had a string of intense thunderstorms move through the area, preventing me from boat launching. Tuesday is BL (boat launch) day. I hope.

Yesterday, I volunteered at a new private veterans' club I joined. I cooked at the grill and did cleanup duty. I got a heck of a workout wiping down picnic tables. Hopefully it will offset the beers I drank.
The members are all ages, and very welcoming to the new kid here. There is no better way to get involved in a new group than to help out.

I think sometime today I will sort out my overstuffed file cabinet. Or read. Or...do whatever floats my boat on a rainy day.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #4484
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Nords, I think you have a twin surfing at the Big Island (but on little waves).
Ponytailed surf geezers are a dime a dozen out here...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #4485
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Ponytailed surf geezers are a dime a dozen out here...
They're not worth much here either.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #4486
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Its 83 degrees, and it must be 80% humidity, and we are moving.

Argh!

Having previously downsized, it is a relatively easy move, but we decided to do all of it except the heavy furniture ourselves. We are paying double rent for this month and slowly moving stuff over to the new place. I know, for that money we could have hired the whole thing done, but I have had horrible experiences with professional movers and prefer to do as much as I can myself.

Even after downsizing there is an amazing amount of stuff that we don't need any more. Like, for example, a big collection of tools that were great for a homeowner and while cruising on a sailboat, but about as useful as teats on a boar hog for an apartment dweller.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #4487
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Well isn't he the cutie pie--no wonder you're occasionally giddy !
I'll be sure to tell him of your compliment. But I'll remind him he still has to do some of the housework....
Old 06-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #4488
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'll be sure to tell him of your compliment. But I'll remind him he still has to do some of the housework....
All that and he does housework too? I'm impressed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Its 83 degrees, and it must be 80% humidity, and we are moving.

Argh!
My sympathies! I would suggest frequent breaks for cool beverages, cool showers, and sitting under the A/C vent... safety first. Weather like this is why we Southerners sometimes seem "lazy" and seem to do things slowly by northern standards.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #4489
Moderator Emeritus

Went to a photovoltaic open house.

A local solar company hosts them every week. They park a rep in the homeowner's driveway for a few hours with a table, laptop, and handouts, giving tours of the hardware and showing all the details. It's sort of like the Porsche dealer bringing a few cars to your neighborhood for static displays and a test drive.

As we chatted with the company rep, he mentioned that the homeowners were a nuclear engineer and his wife. I said "Hunh, that's odd, around here that usually means he's a Navy submariner." A few minutes later they wandered out and sure enough, it turns out he's USNA '99, working at COMSUBPAC, and even used to have a couple of my old billets (of course about 15-20 years later). We were all a bit weirded out by the coincidence but we ended up talking story for over an hour.

Maybe it's not weird after all... I wonder what the correlation is between "submarine nuclear engineer" and "solar geek".

Their PV panels are about twice the power density as ours, including nearly 19% efficiency compared to our 13%. Their mounting racks and roof flashings are orders of magnitude beyond what we did five years ago. Our array has almost paid for itself and will keep chugging along for a couple more decades, but now it's looking like a Commodore 64 alongside a Macbook.

We're still considering buying a used EV or plug-in hybrid in 4-5 years and recharging it from a PV system. We'd need to add another 3-4 kilowatts to our current 3.3 KW system, and the new panels would probably be the roof of a pergola on the south side of the house. (Shading the south wall as well as making electricity.) These newer panels mean that the pergola doesn't need to be very big after all. But if the pergola idea doesn't work out then we could just as easily replace the old panels and add a second inverter. Best of all, it looks more clear than ever that we'd be able to handle it DIY.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #4490
Moderator Emeritus

Voted in the primaries. Engaged in madness with software developers (the circus is in town...). Awarded another evil software patent, two years after retirement. There are several more still in the pipeline...
Old 06-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #4491
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Voted in the primaries. Engaged in madness with software developers (the circus is in town...). Awarded another evil software patent, two years after retirement. There are several more still in the pipeline...
Congrats on getting through that ballot... Oh and on the patents I'll be dropping off the absentee ballot on the way to the free movie. We won tickets to a pre-opening screening of Ondine.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #4492
gone traveling

Packed, double check the passports, tickets, and $$$.

Leaving for London on a 9am flight, tomorrow (along with my DW).

Be back in 3 weeks or so...

Here's a tune for you in my absence :

Old 06-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #4493
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Congrats on getting through that ballot... Oh and on the patents I'll be dropping off the absentee ballot on the way to the free movie. We won tickets to a pre-opening screening of Ondine.
California ballots are big on initiatives. Folks, including businesses, write up proposed amendments for the state constitution, and generally hire one of the initiative support firms to collect signatures to qualify the initiative for the ballot. This year is a bit more egregious than usual. Cheaper than campaign contributions, and much more flexible than simple pork, I suppose.

I think I'll put one together to have the taxpayers buy me a nice big inflation adjusted SPIA. We'll call it "The Taxpayers Right to Financial Freedom Act."
Old 06-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #4494
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Packed, double check the passports, tickets, and $$$.

Leaving for London on a 9am flight, tomorrow (along with my DW).

Be back in 3 weeks or so...

Here's a tune for you in my absence :

Not sure I'd use "John Denver" and "plane" in the same sentence...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 06-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #4495
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Not sure I'd use "John Denver" and "plane" in the same sentence...
Yes, my DW/me were out to Monterey Bay a week after his fatal crash. However I could not find a UTube on PPM's version

But we've traveled so much over many years, it's not a concern of ours. It's not what you may lose, but what you gain by traveling the world...
Old 06-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #4496
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Speaking of babies, I found this little guy lounging in my yard this morning

Cure pic!, worthy of submission to
Cute Overload
Old 06-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #4497
Give me a forum ...

I applied for several open positions. Oh yeah, and did an infinitesimal amount of actual work as well.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #4498
Moderator Emeritus

I celebrated my 62nd birthday today, with Frank. At my favorite restaurant, I ordered the Chicken Florentine Special. This dish was sky high in calories but utterly unbelievable and completely worth it. We had a terrific afternoon together and just a cup of soup and small green salad for dinner after that lunch. Now that I am 62, I am officially old enough to be eligible for SS. I haven't claimed it yet, but it's kind of neat to know that I could at any time if I want to.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #4499
Give me a forum ...

Happy Birthday!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #4500
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I celebrated my 62nd birthday today, with Frank.
Happy Birthday W2R!......and wishing you many more.