Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #4521
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Gave blood samples for CT stage of testing.
Bought too much stuff at farmers market, they had fresh rainbow chard.
I'm getting fresh veggies this year from a local organization that provides seasonal vegetables directly from the farmer. Last week my vegetable box contained some chard. They provided a recipe for the chard that was really good (and very simple). I hope the box that I get today has more chard - I had never ate chard before.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #4522
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I'm getting fresh veggies this year from a local organization that provides seasonal vegetables directly from the farmer. Last week my vegetable box contained some chard. They provided a recipe for the chard that was really good (and very simple). I hope the box that I get today has more chard - I had never ate chard before.
If you get a chance, try beet greens. They taste like chard.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #4523

Picked up my produce box for the week.

snap peas
purple kohlrabi
looseleaf lettuce
kale
strawberries
spring onions
garlic

Next week is supposed to include beets, so Khan, I will save the beet tops too!
Old 06-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #4524
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Served green beans, ham, tomatoes and cornbread fritters for supper tonight.

A little cornbread was left over, so I 'donated' it to the birds. They loved it and I'm quite sure some took the bread back to the nest to feed their babies. I hope I'm not contributing to hardening of the arteries in the little guys...
Old 06-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #4525
Give me a forum ...

Finalized my next trip to FL at the end of this month. I got a great deal on the Blue Heron Beach Resort, a lakefront condo only complex 1 mile from Disney in Orlando. I am renting a family size condo for $118 per night + taxes and fees. No hotel room in the area came even close to that rate.

Hooray for JetBlue air + hotel + rental car packages. There were 3 openings left at that price and I grabbed it!

4 days in Orlando, 3 days in Tampa to visit 2 former colleagues BEFORE the summer heat gets too bad.
Look for me at Seaworld and Epcot Center!
Old 06-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #4526
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
4 days in Orlando, 3 days in Tampa to visit 2 former colleagues BEFORE the summer heat gets too bad.
Sorry, but I think you're too late. The high temp is over 90 every day in the 10-day forcast with "low" temps not going below 77. Hope you have a good time any way
Old 06-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #4527
Give me a forum ...

After w*rk I had a very pleasant evening. Got my hair cut & coloured. While waiting for the colour to set my hairdresser let me play with her new iPad (she trusts me!). Then off to The Body Shop at the mall. They are introducing several new product lines and all my favourite stuff was on sale! With my accumulated points, I got almost 40% off. Yippee!

The Apple store faces The Body Shop and I just couldn't resist going in. It was already quite late and the crowd was thinning, so I got an excellent tutorial from the (very young) sales agent and tested everything I hadn't tried at the hair salon. Specifically, I made a spreadsheet and emailed it to myself. Well, now I'm home, and I can tell you, no, you can't open an Apple spreadsheet on MS Excel; the title is there, but the figures are gone. There are many things I do that it just can't cope with, including sharing memory sticks. But I do love the book reader app!

After an evening of fun with the iPad I now know that if I ever buy one it will be strictly for pleasure. And as of today I am just too damn LBYM to indulge.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #4528
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes indeed, they do. That's cuz chard is a beet. :-)

I didn't do much today. Just a little laundry & dishes, made the cat's food & drew up my ailing cat's prednisone. Thought about how I'm going to fix a thing or two around the house but didn't do much of anything.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #4529
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Khan, Happy2BRetired - do either of you do any gardening? I have to tell you that I have found chard to be one of the most foolproof veggies I grow. And it grows well throughout most of the year, all but the coldest part of winter. If you're at all inclined, buy a packet of seeds and throw them into some corner of your yard. You might be surprised with fresh homegrown swiss chard!
Old 06-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #4530
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
Khan, Happy2BRetired - do either of you do any gardening? I have to tell you that I have found chard to be one of the most foolproof veggies I grow. And it grows well throughout most of the year, all but the coldest part of winter. If you're at all inclined, buy a packet of seeds and throw them into some corner of your yard. You might be surprised with fresh homegrown swiss chard!
I have a share cropper agreement with my neighbor; he tills and plants my back yard and we both eat the results.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:56 AM   #4531

Yesterday's weather was almost perfect - a tad warm at 90 F - so I was outside as much as possible. A grocery run during which I bought a lot of junk food (Doritos, large pepperoni, hot cheese) which I rarely do but since the scale showed I dropped to 144 lbs I figured I could afford the caloric indulgence.

Since the tall grass was still wet from rain there was nothing else to do but go for a two-hour motorcycle ride, came back and mowed the lawn. Ate a junk food lunch and went out for another three-hour motorcycle ride, getting back at dusk.

DW was babysitting a 4-year-old and a 7-month-old for a nephew whose sitter had some emergency and couldn't come.

And we had the now-standard conversational ritual when she's away overnight:

Her: "How are you doing?"

Me: "I'm cold and lonely."

Her: "You'd better be!"
Old 06-11-2010, 07:13 AM   #4532

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
I mostly grow flowers but I do have a very small patch of vegetables this year. I'm glad to know that about chard. I might try planting some at some point. Sounds like a good vegetable to have during the cooler months. I'm really trying to eat lots of green leafy vegetables these days.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #4533

Had to get up at 4 a.m. today to get ready to dance with my local dance fitness class on the morning news show LIVE! (we danced various times from 5:30 to 7). So much fun! Glad I have today off to chill out and nap whenever I need to.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 06-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #4534
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spent the week working on the new house, helped with pouring the concrete basement floor on Wednesday, not sure what I was thinking when I volunteered, lol. The concrete was moved from the door using man powered Georgia Buggies and I was assigned to one of these. A great workout but by 2 pm, had to take a nap to recover.

Here's a link to the blog about the house build as some have said they were following it.

Romney West Virginia Log House Build

Old 06-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #4535
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I mostly grow flowers but I do have a very small patch of vegetables this year. I'm glad to know that about chard. I might try planting some at some point. Sounds like a good vegetable to have during the cooler months. I'm really trying to eat lots of green leafy vegetables these days.
Plant rainbow chard. It is so pretty it can go in the flower garden with its deep green leaves & red & yellow stems & veins. I've had it last thru the summer tho it does taste better when it isn't too hot.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #4536
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Had to get up at 4 a.m. today to get ready to dance with my local dance fitness class on the morning news show LIVE! (we danced various times from 5:30 to 7). So much fun! Glad I have today off to chill out and nap whenever I need to.
Hey...we have a celebrity on our forum!

(now what is this 4 a.m. you speak of? )
Old 06-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #4537
Recycles dryer sheets

I learned how delicious lime-basil is in guacamole with fresh cilantro too. Dipping in fresh from the garden snow peas was heaven!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #4538

Still moving, and yeowee, did we ever step into a hornet's nest!

We have rented a condo in a "failed" apartment to condo conversion. We are renting from an individual who purchased two units during the bankruptcy, finished the upgrades himself, and is renting them. The conversions included adding washer/dryer connections, but the developer went bust before the 220v outlets were installed in our unit.

In our naive and pollyanna-ish fashion, we contacted the HOA president and the management company to find out how to go about getting a 220v outlet put in. We figured that if it didn't cost too much, we would offer to pay for the upgrade ourselves, but we wanted to get some info first. The rent is low enough that we figured that we might be able to pay for the upgrade and still come out OK over the course of the lease compared to other rentals in the area. Our landlord is fine with that (hey, he would be getting an improvement for free).

He HOA president called us back in a rage wanting to know how we got his number, and to inform us that we were not to contact him directly. I think he then called our landlord and gave him an @ss chewing also. The management company sent us a snippy letter to the same effect.

Gee willikers. We know that some folks in the complex have done just this upgrade, and we were just trying to find out how much it might cost, what folks experience had been, and what the approval process was. We weren't expecting to have the riot act read to us. What a welcome and introduction!

Seems like having purchased condos at the top of the bubble then seeing their values plummet has pushed folks over the edge.

Here are the property tax records for our 2 bedroom unit

2007 - $80,000 (probably the sales price of the whole complex allocated by square foot)
2008 - $280,000 (the price that converted units were selling for)
2009 - $130,000 (what our landlord paid)

current asking price for similar units: $180,000

Can we say volatility?
Old 06-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #4539
Gone but not forgotten

Was going to run errands today; screw it. Will stay home & cook. Errands tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #4540
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Sorry, but I think you're too late. The high temp is over 90 every day in the 10-day forecast with "low" temps not going below 77. Hope you have a good time any way
Boy, aren't you the kill joy.

Of course she is going to have a great time!
Closed Thread