Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #4541
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Was going to run errands today; screw it. Will stay home & cook. Errands tomorrow.
Uh oh. That means running errands on a Saturday, when all the w*rking folks are out and about.

Funny how I used to love the weekends, and now I find them a little bit annoying.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #4542
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Was going to run errands today; screw it. Will stay home & cook. Errands tomorrow.
Errands tomorrow....but tomorrow is Saturday! .....

ooops, didn't see ksr's post....oh well...

Old 06-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #4543
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Sorry, but I think you're too late. The high temp is over 90 every day in the 10-day forcast with "low" temps not going below 77. Hope you have a good time any way
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Boy, aren't you the kill joy.

Of course she is going to have a great time!
That's why people like me developed air conditioning.

This going to FL is starting to really grow on me.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #4544
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did my errands today...no Satudays for me. Went to the credit union to cash a nice little rebate check from State Farm. Had a new battery installed in my watch. Went to the frozen yogurt place and had strawberry kiwi sorbet. THEN, I spent some money. I needed some new shorts and capris since I've lost a little weight. I was getting tired of holding up my pants with safety pins.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #4545
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
... I needed some new shorts and capris since I've lost a little weight.
Congratulations! Always a good reason to celebrate with a new purchase...
Old 06-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #4546
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Sent some money to a high school graduate (after asking permission from her father)
Old 06-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #4547
Give me a forum ...

Funny how we take for granted the little things in life like the use of a laptop computer. A couple of days ago, my pc would not boot up due to corrupt files. I couldn't even get into safe mode or any other mode. To make a long story short, I had to reformat the hard disk, reload the OS, drivers, at&t dsl software and I am now back in business. I almost bought a new laptop today as I was struggling to get this thing going.(not pc savy) Still have to get virus software and Firefox loaded but that won't be a problem. Some lost personal data but can live with out it. Oh well..............thank God for med's.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #4548
Give me a forum ...

This evening we watched some old home movies from DH's side of the family. The dates were from 1964 to 1976. So much fun to watch everyone ham it up in front of the camera....and of course wave.

It was amusing to watch the men looking like FBI agents and the women with big hair, pill box hats and dresses morph into a long haired, bell bottom jeans wearing crowd.

Quite a few folks are gone now, but not forgotten. The babies born during the earliest films have grandbabies of their own now.

The beat goes on.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:07 AM   #4549
Moderator Emeritus

Dropped our kid off at the airport. Woo-hoo!!

In about an hour she's flying halfway around the world for a two-week visit to a high-school classmate whose Navy parents are now stationed in Naples. I figure it's a good intro to her future NROTC life-- two 17-year-old girls in a port full of sailors. What could go wrong? Maybe she'll get a free P-3 ride, too.

She's following that up with a couple weeks at a Russian-language immersion camp in the northern U.S. (During her sophomore year she became good friends with an exchange student from Tajikistan. So she knows the Cyrillic alphabet and some vocabulary. I figure the Navy would encourage that, too.) Keep in mind that this surfer grrrl has never in her life worn insect repellent, let alone encountered a serious mosquito. They also keep the campers totally off the grid-- no cell phones, no iPods, no e-mail, no Internet, no computers, not even any electricity in the cabins. Snail-mail only, or faxes at $132 rubles/page. It should be a very educational fortnight in more ways than one.

Happy graduation.

And happy grownups vacation, too! We're wondering how much we could get for renting her room out. OTOH this is a fantastic opportunity to proclaim four weeks of no adult parenting, no responsible eating let alone meal-cooking, and no example-setting kitchen-cleaning behavior. In fact we're probably going to declare the entire house a clothing-optional zone with a two-drink minimum...

I figure at least one Waikiki staycation and probably a few days' holoholo. But not tonight, anyway.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #4550
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
...They also keep the campers totally off the grid-- no cell phones, no iPods, no e-mail, no Internet, no computers, not even any electricity in the cabins. Snail-mail only, or faxes at $132 rubles/page. It should be a very educational fortnight in more ways than one...
Nords I think you are creating a monster. She will come home committed to staying there as long as she can.

Have a great staycation though - well-deserved!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #4551
Give me a forum ...

I was going to go to a Greek festival in Syracuse NY, however the weather decided to kill that idea. Tomorrow perhaps...

I am logging onto Match.com on a daily basis and getting some free entertainment from some of the emails I am getting. No millionaires so far.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #4552
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Nords I think you are creating a monster. She will come home committed to staying there as long as she can.
Luckily Rice has more bandwidth.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #4553

Let's see....yesterday I did nothing, as it was too hot and humid to be active outside, so I stayed in the A/C mostly and made a couple of coffee runs. Today it wasn't too hot but it was pretty humid, so I've stayed in th A/C mostly and made a couple of coffee runs. As for tomorrow....probably about the same game as yesterday and today!
Old 06-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #4554
Moderator Emeritus

Well, we have what passes for a really hot day here. It's 93F outside. First day over 80 this year. That can only mean one thing.

Beach road trip!

DW and I headed out early to hit a farmers market maybe 20 miles in from the coast, loading up on fresh fruit and some veggies. We wandered through the town square, and had an early lunch. Then we headed out to the coast, stopping along the way to buy some bread. OK, technically, too much bread. Cheese, herb, potato fougasse, a baguette, sticky bun, and a nice white chocolate and strawberry scone.

This should tastefully counterpoint the healthiness of the veggies and fruit...

Then, we were off to Bodega for a beverage stop, then the beaches. 64F, a more reasonable summer temperature for us NorCal types. We finished off the afternoon with a nice, leisurely drive along Tomales Bay, and eventually home.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #4555
Give me a forum ...

A lot of errands and garage sales today. Got a replacement watchband for my watch (by buying a defunct watch together with two 9V batteries and a calculator all for $1). Also and never-used steering wheel cover to replace our frayed one, and HD antenna to experiment to see if we can receive any over the air signals ($1 each). Also a nice Belkin iPod armband thingie for 10 cents for Lena's MP3 player.

My iPod touch is genuinely useful on these trips. Throughout the week I speak to-do items and shopping items into it, and check them off as completed. I can speak notes into it ("At Ace hardware Preen costs 18.99 for $5/pound"). At the library I use the IMDb app to decide which movies to borrow*. I recorded all the garage sales in geographical order before we left in the morning, a truly paperless system.

*There Will be Blood
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
Crash
The Squid and the Whale
I Know Where I'm Going
ChungKing Express
Ace in the Hole
Rent
The Rapture
Old 06-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #4556

Started the day at the Farmers Market looking for fresh fruit. Still a bit early for the fruit from eastern Washiington. Then off to a walk in downtown Bellevue with a group I belong to, and lunch after.

Beautiful day in western Washington.

-- Rita
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1998.jpg (1.02 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2004.jpg (1.11 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2009.jpg (770.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #4557

Movers just left. Whew. Not too bad. They broke a wooden knob off our armoire, but if I can't glue it back together, Ethan Allen probably has replacements.

We're gonna miss our tiny, funky, aerie on the alley. Oy vey.

Boy, am I tired.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #4558
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post

Boy, am I tired.
I hate moving. Every time we've done it I've sworn "never again" - thirteen times.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 06-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #4559

I spent the afternoon lolling about the beautiful gardens of a nearby winery and berry farm. They had a bluegrass band playing, and my friends and I sipped a nice red and munched on assorted tidbits. I did pick up a bottle to go plus some fresh raspberries and raspberry vinaigrette. I felt like I was in Napa, not a farm in semi-rural PA. And I get to sleep in tomorrow as my office is closed in celebration of Flag Day! Life is good.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #4560
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I hate moving. Every time we've done it I've sworn "never again" - thirteen times.
For me it has been twenty-eight times as an adult in the U.S., only counting places where I lived with all my belongings for at least a few months. I just tallied them up a minute ago on my fingers and probably forgot about at least a dozen.

Moving can be a great adventure. Seriously, how can you not like the first night in a new place, sharing pizza while surrounded by a mountain of boxes, wondering where on earth you put the box with the bedding, and knowing that at least everything is in one place again? Still it is tiring and the breakage is sometimes heartbreaking. I love having a longtime home at last.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread