Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #4561
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just noticed I have 8,888 visits on my profile page....woo hoo...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #4562
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The weather wasn't too bad this morning, so today I started a bunch of different herb seeds and stuff, also finally got the zinnia seeds sown in their bed, and potted up a eucalyptus plant. This afternoon after another rain shower, it got sticky & muggy out again, so made my usual coffee runs and then stayed the A/C where it's nice and cool and dry!

Tomorrow starts with my routine stop at the Doc's for blood pressure check and stuff. He opens at 9, but I get there about 8:30, and I'm back home (or at the coffee shop) by 8:50. Then it's who knows what for the rest of the day! If it's fairly nice out, I'm going to try to get my 36 pepper plants planted out, and also a new hydrangea!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #4563
Recycles dryer sheets

We've got the 3 H's - hazy hot & humid. Yuck. So I turned on the AC. I cleaned up some of my workspaces & searched for my tools to start on the next phase of putting up molding so the house looks finished. Didn't have long enough sticks to hold it in place so back to home depot. I think I'm ready to start today. Another nasty hhh day so inside project will be good.

I got a nice surprise this morning when I went to the garden to dump my coffee. Grounds. There's a very pretty 3" red flower on a plant I let live because I didn't recognize its leaves as a weed. I'm happy I dint pull it but now I wonder where it came from.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #4564
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I'm happy I dint pull it but now I wonder where it came from.
Do you ever have birds visit? Our garden (the back yard) would be devoid of flowering plants -- and trees -- if not for the kindly efforts of the birds. Well, the bees are very important also.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #4565
Give me a forum ...

I treated myself to a new chain saw. I bought my last one new for $99 in 1984 and it still has the original bar, chain and sprocket, but it is starting to need other repairs. So I popped for a new Stihl for $200, which coincidentally, is $99 in 1984 dollars. This one will last me the rest of my life.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #4566
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Went to the local flea market. Did not find anything. Walked down to the beach and along the seawalk to the dogs-off-leash beach, eventually made my way back through the village square. Watched kids playing in the pond. Temperature was only 19 degrees (66) but with the bright sunshine, it was comfortable.

Lots of people using the boat launching ramp. First time out for many boaters. Low tide made it a challenge for the bigger boats.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #4567

Most of the clothes I bought last week were on sale but not all of them. When I paid for my clothing I said something about they probably would go on sale next week. The clerk said if they do go on sale within 14 days of the sell date, that they would honor the sale price.

So, I went home and signed up on their web site for email sale notices. Today....ON SALE. Went back to the store and got a $60.00 credit.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #4568

Started making plans for a road trip on Thursday. Going to visit relatives in Faribault Minnesota. From there to the Minnesota Street Rod Association Back to the 50s weekend which is, I think, the largest street rod show in the world at 11,500 cars last year.

Minnesota Street Rod Association
Old 06-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #4569

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Most of the clothes I bought last week were on sale but not all of them. When I paid for my clothing I said something about they probably would go on sale next week. The clerk said if they do go on sale within 14 days of the sell date, that they would honor the sale price.

So, I went home and signed up on their web site for email sale notices. Today....ON SALE. Went back to the store and got a $60.00 credit.

Score!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 06-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #4570
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Just noticed I have 8,888 visits on my profile page....woo hoo...
All of them since you mentioned how big your boobs were...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 06-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #4571
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
All of them since you mentioned how big your boobs were...
No...I think it's because I act like a boob.....

My day thus far....I rolled out of bed at 10:30, took a shower and am sipping a diet cherry Coke. Whew....I need to slow down.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #4572

I haven't managed to get going today either, but spent yesterday unpacking and going through old files. (yes, I know that it would have made more sense to clear out the old files before the move)

I had a couple of boxes of files from my parents. The labels looked important (deeds, wills, stuff like that) but I had never gone through them with a mind of discarding what was unnecessary.

Anyway, I came across a 1955 statement of my Dad's MegaCorp "Provident Fund" account. He was already well on his way to a good retirement even then. What a deal he had! 100% match of up to 10% of his salary - all in company stock though.

He contributed the max for 42 years and would have retired a rich man had he not panicked during the oil crisis in the Carter years and sold out at the low. It was a bad mistake, but he was right about one thing: that was pretty much the event that made folks realize that the era of cheap (Insanely cheap in retrospect. In my high school years, sweet Texas crude sold for $3.25 a barrel.) domestic fossil fuels was ending.

If I can find my round tuit I will continue unpacking today. But first, a coffee break.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #4573
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I celebrated my 62nd birthday today, with Frank. At my favorite restaurant, I ordered the Chicken Florentine Special. This dish was sky high in calories but utterly unbelievable and completely worth it. We had a terrific afternoon together and just a cup of soup and small green salad for dinner after that lunch. Now that I am 62, I am officially old enough to be eligible for SS. I haven't claimed it yet, but it's kind of neat to know that I could at any time if I want to.

Happy Birthday! My 62nd is this coming Sunday. And yes, very nice to know I could collect if I needed it. I'll be giving my 2 weeks' notice on Friday - it's a good pre-birthday present (for me, not for her).

Hmmmmm. Just realized I'm responding to a post from a week ago.... Oh well, happy b'day anyhow! Belated!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #4574
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats a few days early, thinker25! Nice gift to yourself, that giving notice on Friday!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #4575
Moderator Emeritus

Happy Birthday in advance, thinker25! I can't think of a better birthday present to give yourself for your 62nd birthday.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #4576
Give me a forum ...

I managed to work my way to my backyard with the camera and took a couple of pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01570.jpg (691.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01571.jpg (444.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #4577
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Congrats a few days early, thinker25! Nice gift to yourself, that giving notice on Friday!
LOL! Yes, and the advice I've been given is to keep the written letter of resignation short and direct (maybe not "sweet"). She has no idea I'm planning this.

Do you agree? Anyone?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #4578
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Short, professional, and to the point. Try to avoid too many similes.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #4579
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Try to avoid too many similes.
and smilies, also.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #4580
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
and smilies, also.
Metaphorically speaking, of course...