Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

laundry.
carried some firewood up.
surfed here pretty much all day.
made the fresh bread/turkey/bacon/tomato/cheese open faced broiled thingies. killed the pumpkin pie.
listened to some nice pop xmas music. actually heard Burl Ives and Bing Crosby a few times.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #442
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday....laundry, paying the bills, grocery shopping.....and a wedding celebration dinner last night. The bride is a colleague at work. Actual wedding occurred abroad and this was for the local folks. Wonderful evening, fabulous food, elegant venue.....and the groom's sister told us EVERYTHING. Who woulda thought he was such a hell raiser in his misspent youth?

Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #443
Give me a forum ...

At the police dept now. Have logged 15 incidents including theft, fire, burglary and just logged a missing person report. Had a ticket flung at my face...politely gave it back to the dude and told him to go to the court. All this before 9:15 a.m.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #444
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
At the police dept now. Have logged 15 incidents including theft, fire, burglary and just logged a missing person report. Had a ticket flung at my face...politely gave it back to the dude and told him to go to the court. All this before 9:15 a.m.
need an assistant?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #445
Give me a forum ...

sorted donated toys...the finale was today.
ate lunch with guy friend and local postmistress, a real character.
bought on sale and cooked 5 lbs of chicken tenderloins for freezer
made shake-n-bake chicken for dinner, and nobody helped
Old 12-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #446
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Was intending to stop at plumber's building to pay for last week's leak repair. Called first: nobody's home; first day of deer gun season. And secretary/receptionist in attending college most days.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #447
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And you do this as a volunteer? Today I got up and knocked out some morning work. Then drove to work and picked up more stuff to keep me busy for the week. Also went to lunch with an old work buddy. Then off to Petco for dog food. Spent the rest of the day just farting off. Now time to knock out a couple of more hours of work. Maybe a little wine too.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #448
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went for coffee this morning with the gang, then stopped to pick up a prescription at the pharmacy. Came home, and picked out the clothes to pack for our trip to San Antonio. Went for coffee, a BLT, and a cup of soup. Came home and packed the afore mentioned clothes. Surfed the 'net, ate supper, surfing the 'net, getting ready to go for coffee, then come back home for TV, then to bed.

Tomorrow I'll pack: the laptop, power adapters for it and cellphone, snack bag, meds & toiletries, and pick a book or 2 to take. Then goof off the rest of the day! Of course, I'm sure I'll squeeze in a couple of coffee runs!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #449
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
... picked out the clothes to pack for our trip to San Antonio.
Boy, you've been travelin' to support the economy.

Good, because we have not been doing our share this year, due to fiscal (and psychological) limitations .
Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #450
Recycles dryer sheets

Pushed snow off the drive. Cleaned snow off of one car. Said how much longer can this really be worth it. When should we say enough and get serious about getting out of the winter for good. Thought alot about our plane tickets that are still not valid for 8 weeks. Wished for a good week when in FL again. Took off many layers of winter clothes and put on coat and tie and went to work. Dealt with staff that doesn't think and can't make a decision. Coached them most of the day as to what they might take responsibility on and tried to get them all to think clearly and without help from me. Anyway...a normal day stuck in the winter of the midwest.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #451
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtotheCove View Post
Pushed snow off the drive. Cleaned snow off of one car. Said how much longer can this really be worth it. When should we say enough and get serious about getting out of the winter for good.
Once you're retired, the weather is a minor consideration.

Quote:
Dealt with staff that doesn't think and can't make a decision. Coached them most of the day as to what they might take responsibility on and tried to get them all to think clearly and without help from me.
I don't miss that crap one bit. My blood pressure has dropped from WTF to normal human.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #452
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
need an assistant?
Sure...we'll be the "cop twins"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
And you do this as a volunteer?
Yeah...I'm going into my 9th year at the police department. It's funny; working at MegaCorp was more stressful than what I do now....
Old 12-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #453
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yeah...I'm going into my 9th year at the police department.
Did you at least get a free set of handcuffs?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:05 PM   #454
Full time employment: Posting here.

I puttered around in my shop most of the day. I started making a box for a friend, well actually it's for her dad, sorta. Actually it's for his ashes.

I get some strange requests every once in a while. This one will be number 4. So far two people and two dogs. In case you're interested, for people you need to figure about 200 cubic inches of volume.

And in case you want to know how I know, all you gotta do is call a funeral director.

And they know more than even I want to know.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #455
Give me a forum ...

Umm, I assume that they would leave off any metal implants like hips, knees, etc... Else, your box isn't big enough.

Having seen pictures of your woodwork, I'd like to see how fancy you make your boxes.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #456
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Did you at least get a free set of handcuffs?
Nah, I declined. I wanted to save the tax payers some money. Besides, I have my own....
Old 12-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #457
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Umm, I assume that they would leave off any metal implants like hips, knees, etc... Else, your box isn't big enough.

Having seen pictures of your woodwork, I'd like to see how fancy you make your boxes.
Yep, no metal parts, except maybe fillings. Most large particles are.... reduced in size by......mechanical means.

Here's one of my dog boxes, made back when I was working in glass. Sold two to the same owner.

Still looking for a buyer for this one, a well heeled buyer. Maybe a Wall Street Banker.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:16 AM   #458

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Boy, you've been travelin' to support the economy.

Good, because we have not been doing our share this year, due to fiscal (and psychological) limitations .
Only doing about 12-13K miles this year....normally about 15K. Next year may end up being a bit more than 15K, not sure yet and haven't cyphered out distances for all of our planned trips.

In 2010 it should be closer to 20K, since I'm planning on an Alaskan air/land/cruise 'adventure'. Flying to Anchorage, then land touring to Denali and other points, back to Anchorage to cruise to Vancouver stopping at several 'ports of call' along the way with more land touring at each, then fly home from Vancouver.....or at least fly somewhere from Vancouver.

And in doing the Alaskan gig, I'm doing 3 things that I told myself I wasn't going to do until I've seen EVERYTHING that there is to see in the United States:

1) Fly....prefer ground travel.....love to fly, but absolutely hate airport BS & hassle.

2) Cruise.....nothing really against cruises...just not a fan.

3) Go to a 'foreign' country....Canada in this case...nothing personal...just too much yet to see here in the States

Dang! The sacrifices that I'm willing to make on my behalf!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:47 AM   #459

Went to the gym, 5 miles on the treadmill. Went to the office, hour with HR...came away from that fuming...HR issues not going as well as planned. Did a video shoot...I had to do a lot of smiling, but since I was fuming, I could not get my lines correct and couldn't gather a natural looking smile for the camera. What would have taken 45 min to complete on a good day took 3 hrs to finish. 10 minutes for lunch, just a protein bar and a quick check of the email. Back to back meetings all afternoon, many of them dealing with incompetent responses to petty issues...fumed some more. Signed some paperwork, got outta there at 6pm. Home now browsing the net, but still fuming. Thinking about taking up Dawg's second hobby: head banging...

R
Old 12-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #460
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nah, I declined. I wanted to save the tax payers some money. Besides, I have my own....
A typical night at the bbbamI house?

Closed Thread