Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #4601
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have been absent from this forum for 2 weeks. At least one forum member, Westernskies, wondered about my well being.

Well, the truth is that I have been tied up in a civic duty.

It may not be a big deal for others, but it puts me in a gloomy mood and has been somewhat exhausting for me.

No, I cannot talk about it yet, and later may not want to.
Did it involve a certain former governor from the heartland?

I hope you get untied soon.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #4602
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It may not be a big deal for others, but it puts me in a gloomy mood and has been somewhat exhausting for me.
If it's jury duty, please share your survival tactics. I just got my summons for 6 July.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:51 AM   #4603
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wake up, go to work, come home and now am on a global call wth NY, Japan and London. I've handed my resignation but need to serve 2 months notice. Last working day will be 16th July.....so you will find different sort of activities I will be posting next time.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:32 AM   #4604
Recycles dryer sheets

Last night. I successfully learned how to use the pneumatic nailers on molding & fit an out of square outside corner on crown molding. That's about as hard as it gets so now I can make steady progress. Looks nice! Except today I need to mow before really serious heat with high humidity gets here this weekend. Ugg! Figures the regular nasty wet heat summer would come back my 1st summer of retirement instead of those last 2 summers with nice Canadian air.
More incentive to get this house fixed up so I eventually move.

Re the mystery flower - yep, got lots of birds so they could be the culprits.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #4605
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have been absent from this forum for 2 weeks. At least one forum member, Westernskies, wondered about my well being.

Did someone say "tied up"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If you are on the firing squad for the convicted murderer out in Utah, I hope you get the blank...
At my age, shooting blanks sounds like a good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Gave painting lessons to my 12 year old grandson. He helped me paint my 12 x 20 storage building - and expects to get paid! What is it with kids these days?
He's on to the old Tom Sawyer - Huck Finn routine...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 06-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #4606
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

This doesn't necessarily mean that NW-Bound served on a jury, although that is one of our most common civic duties. There are others. Personally I would think it was my civic duty, at least peripherally, to testify against a dangerous criminal who was terrorizing my community, for example. Similarly I think it would be my civic duty to cooperate with law enforcement in their investigations of a serious crime or in a "sting". If I was a man in the reserves I suppose it would be my civic duty and requirement (not to mention the law, I guess?) that I show up for whatever it is that the reserves do. If I had knowledge that would be of material assistance in improving the way in which my community was run (such as if I was the only one who could explain how the filing system worked at city hall, or some such thing) I might consider it to be my civic duty to volunteer my time to help.

Anyway, my point is that I think we are jumping the gun by assuming that NW-Bound had jury duty. Probably, but really he did not specify that particular civic duty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Last night. I successfully learned how to use the pneumatic nailers on molding & fit an out of square outside corner on crown molding. That's about as hard as it gets so now I can make steady progress. Looks nice! Except today I need to mow before really serious heat with high humidity gets here this weekend. Ugg! Figures the regular nasty wet heat summer would come back my 1st summer of retirement instead of those last 2 summers with nice Canadian air.
More incentive to get this house fixed up so I eventually move.

Re the mystery flower - yep, got lots of birds so they could be the culprits.
It is already hot and humid down here so you have my sympathy - - it is very hard to mow when the weather gets like that. About six years ago I finally gave up on mowing completely, and just pay someone to do it these days. Are you going to move to another state? We had planned to move to southern Missouri, but our plans seem to be stalled due to the housing market and the recovery of our area from Hurricane Katrina, which is gradually removing some of our motivation to move. So, we are "on the fence" and not working nearly as hard as you are on the necessary fix-ups that need to be done before selling.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #4607
Moderator Emeritus

Agreed, W2R, I brought up an experience on jury duty because I was remined of it by something I did today (technically yesterday). When I was summoned to testify against a gang of young thugs, it felt like a very heavy civic duty.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #4608
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
..Was going to do yard work late in the evening, but I drank half a bottle of wine at supper and changed my mind.

Probably a wise decision. At least you judegement was not impaired.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #4609
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Agreed, W2R, I brougt up an experience on jury duty because I was remined of it by something I did today (technically yesterday). When I was summoned to testify against a gang of young thugs, it felt like a very heavy civic duty.
Wow! That really would be a very heavy civic duty, indeed. Pretty scary.

I didn't mean to refer to you, or any one person, in my post. I just felt like many of us might be assuming jury duty, and NW-Bound didn't actually specify any particular kind of civic duty. That was the first thing I thought of, anyway, until reflecting further.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #4610
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Probably a wise decision. At least you judegement was not impaired.
I'll drink to that!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #4611
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Laundry is on the line. Cooked breakfast. Considering lunch. Watched neighbor work on the lawn/garden.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #4612
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It is already hot and humid down here so you have my sympathy - - it is very hard to mow when the weather gets like that. About six years ago I finally gave up on mowing completely, and just pay someone to do it these days. Are you going to move to another state? We had planned to move to southern Missouri, but our plans seem to be stalled due to the housing market and the recovery of our area from Hurricane Katrina, which is gradually removing some of our motivation to move. So, we are "on the fence" and not working nearly as hard as you are on the necessary fix-ups that need to be done before selling.
I am planning on moving eventually. To someplace where the summer isn't so miserable. And without such a big yard. But the house stuff needs to be done anyway and will make it more pleasant for me even if I can't sell for a few years. I had planned on my 1st 1-2 years to get all the house sprucing/remodeling done.

Mowing done. Now to go run some errands.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #4613
Give me a forum ...

Cleaned house and did some laundry today. Had to fix supper early. I made pork chops, fried potatoes (with sweet Vidalia onions) and peas.

No biscuits...it's too hot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01578.JPG (132.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #4614
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Cleaned house and did some laundry today. Had to fix supper early. I made pork chops, fried potatoes (with sweet Vidalia onions) and peas.

No biscuits...it's too hot.
Yum!!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #4615
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Did it involve a certain former governor from the heartland?

I hope you get untied soon.
I don't think he's a Blago juror. From what I'm hearing the trial is a hoot and not something that would put anyone in a gloomy mood
Old 06-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #4616
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Made some steller Garage Rock Music Live with some other Rock and Rollers. We had a blast. I recorded everything on a tiny Zoom Stereo device with built in Condenser Mics. Today I'll process the tunes and make CD's for the rest of the band to document the event. We get together about once every week or two out at the Drummer's House. Fortunately he lives in the sticks at a place called Merced Falls (dare you to find it on a map) which allows us to make unlimited high volume noise with no neighbors close enough to notice, let alone complain. Playing at concert volume is truly uplifting. A couple beers etc doesn't hurt the experience.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #4617
Give me a forum ...

I think it's OK to say that my civic duty is just the common jury duty while revealing nothing about the case, which is still on going.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #4618
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think it's OK to say that my civic duty is just the common jury duty while revealing nothing about the case, which is still on going.
And here I was fantasizing that you were helping in a complex sting operation involving an international diamond smuggling cartel and the witness protection program, not to mention decoding cryptic files in city hall!

Oh well. Life is never as exciting as fiction.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #4619
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm proud of you.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #4620
Give me a forum ...

W2R, sorry if I misled you, even if unintentionally.

I am feeling better the last few days though. Well, hopefully justice will be served.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Closed Thread