Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #4641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

freebird....you GO girl!

Ahhhh dating....the newness, suspense, heart pumping, pulse racing......

Hmmmm...where was I?

Oh yeah....I made supper, took care of a few chores....blah blah blah...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #4642
Give me a forum ...

Drank a pot of coffee, then rode the bike. Putz around the house, out of the heat, then attend a Johnny Winter show tonight.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 06-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #4643
Give me a forum ...

I threw our annual father's day cook out . Hot dogs , hamburgers , potato salad , chips , key lime pie ,apple pie and various dips .It was a small group and over early so now I am chilling out .
Old 06-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #4644
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I threw our annual father's day cook out .
Did he have too much to drink? or make a rude suggestion?
Old 06-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #4645
Give me a forum ...

I woke up today for some reason thinking it was Friday. Checked how the Dow was doing and it didn't change for hours, then I realized it was Sunday

Then spent my entire morning, afternoon and part of evening helping a friend install a new outdoor antenna to get over the air TV, the whole bit (added the coax jack to the wall, mounted the antenna, hooked up to DTV convert box etc).

Oh, btw, her "new"/old TV was only $10 at Goodwill. Not bad, came with a VCR and remote too . Works like a charm now.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #4646
Administrator

We had our annual feast of Sol Invictus, to celebrate the summer solstice. The menu is always the same -- oysters on the half-shell, steamed lobster, potato salad with smoked salmon and dill, asparagus, champagne, strawberries drizzled with balsamic vinegar for dessert. After dinner, we sat on the front porch in the gloaming, watched the fireflies and listened to the bells from the Methodist church two streets over.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #4647
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We had our annual feast of Sol Invictus, to celebrate the summer solstice. The menu is always the same -- oysters on the half-shell, steamed lobster, potato salad with smoked salmon and dill, asparagus, champagne, strawberries drizzled with balsamic vinegar for dessert. After dinner, we sat on the front porch in the gloaming, watched the fireflies and listened to the bells from the Methodist church two streets over.
Sounds like a perfect day, Gumby, makes me long for summers in the midwest, especially the part about the fireflies.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #4648
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did a quick mile and a half this morning before it got above 90. Youngest son took me to breakfast at one of my favorite taquerias and then we stopped by Sur La Table and I picked up a couple of items I needed. Oldest son cooked burgers for dinner and then he and I played a round of disc golf.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #4649
Moderator Emeritus

I spent the day in the bathroom.

No, not like that-- fixing things. Our kid's bathroom has seen a lot of hard/careless use and it's needed some work. She took care of the toilet's leaking wax seal, the toilet's broken flush handle, and her filthy/moldy shower curtain before she left. But then the toilet's flush valve started to leak and the mold had gotten behind the tub's caulk.

So a couple days ago we stripped out the old caulk and cleaned the tub/tile to kill off the mold. Today I recaulked the tub and then replaced the toilet flush valve. We even cleaned the window over the tub and fixed its rusted hardware.

I know we live in a humid tropical paradise, but that bathroom has had a lot of run time on its plumbing, plenty of wet towels strewn around, and it's always smelled damp or even dank. Now that she's been gone for over a week, though, it's finally dried out and it's kinda nice.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #4650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
After dinner, we sat on the front porch in the gloaming, watched the fireflies and listened to the bells from the Methodist church two streets over.
Gumby you brought back memories of my sitting on Grampa's and Grampma's porch many years ago. Just sitting in the dark on the squeaky porch swing watching fireflys and the fireworks from the county fair that was just a mile or two away.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #4651
Give me a forum ...

I came home late last night, and my entry into the driveway was blocked by a parked BMW. I turned on my blinker and sat in the street. Nothing happened and I was starting to get annoyed. Then I looked in the car and a couple was going at it, the 30 ish woman sitting astride the man. So I gave a polite horn toot- she didn't even slack off. This girl was focused on the finish and some guy wanting into his driveway was not going to distract her.

I backed up a little and waited, and they eventually drove off.

It's the little things that make life interesting.

Ha
Old 06-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #4652

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I came home late last night, and my entry into the driveway was blocked by a parked BMW. I turned on my blinker and sat in the street. Nothing happened and I was starting to get annoyed. Then I looked in the car and a couple was going at it, the 30 ish woman sitting astride the man. So I gave a polite horn toot- she didn't even slack off. This girl was focused on the finish and some guy wanting into his driveway was not going to distract her.

Ha
What? No photos?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #4653
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Hmmmm...well...it was Father's Day and maybe she forgot to purchase a gift...
Old 06-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #4654
Give me a forum ...

I'm getting ready to go out of town for a few days for one hot biker rally in AR.

So, I've manicured, pedicured, waxed and have picked out my clothing for the event. The leather is supple and the chains are shiny.

Eh heh....a good time will be had by all....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg boots.jpg (3.5 KB, 135 views)
Old 06-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #4655
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm getting ready to go out of town for a few days for one hot biker rally in AR.

So, I've manicured, pedicured, waxed ...
You are referring to the bike, no?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 06-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #4656
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
But of course....she's all ready for a big ride........
Old 06-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #4657

Tried to find a "Notary Public" who actually is performing their commissioned tasks for the public.

Needed to have my signature notorized for a document of DW. Knowing that auto dealers have notaries, stopped at the one in town. When asking the the manager if I could use their notary, he informed me that the notary only does internal work. Good luck for that dealership to ever sell me or DW a car in the future.

Next stop a real estate office. The owner was covering the floor, who I know to be a notary, denied that he was a notary. (he is listed as notary in a few town blurbs) Next. But helpfully suggested that the bank next door, and a title company across the street both have notaries.

On to the bank. Was informed that their notary is only for bank business.

Getting a tad annoyed head over to the title co. Their notary was not in. (11 am) Ok. On to another bank where we have accounts. Once again was told the only do notary work for bank business. But helpfully pointed the way to Borough hall where they were sure there was a notary publick who actually performs service for the publick.

Imagine how unreasonable it is for me to expect that the description, Notary Public is actually supposed to perform a public service, surely that can't be.

Anyway, walk into borough hall, first office is the chamber of commerce, ask my now boring question. The lady politely points me to the office of the State representative three doors down who she thinks is a notary.

Find my way down the hall, find the State rep's office door open, walk in and ask my now very repetitive question. The lady behind the big desk, who is of course not the State rep. answer in the affirmative.

Miracles never end. She very competently reviewed my docs, asked for my ID and after looking at my driver's license, performed the magic rites, added stamps and embossments, even found a lady to act and sign as witness for some lines which required a witness.

After this long exercise, I went kayaking. A much better way to spend time.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #4658
Moderator Emeritus

Yardwork. Gotta make quota for next week's green waste pickup. The bougainvillea are starting to spread down the hill below our lava rock wall to cover the grass, and in a couple years I'll be able to shut off those sprinklers too.

Picked a couple mango and a harbinger of the flood of papaya that will be ripe in about six weeks. Our lychee tree will also be ready in about six weeks.

Going to a friend's house tonight with another dozen people for Chinese food and talk story. Spouse and I have only cooked our own dinner twice during the last 10 days of our empty nesting.

Oh, yeah, our kid checked in today. She's having a wonderful vacation and expects to be home in another three weeks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
...for one hot biker rally in AR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think she's referring to the air temperature. Or what's going to happen to the leather & chains if she doesn't stay out of the sun.

But it's a dry heat wax!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #4659

Spent a few days at Fort Walton Beach, FL this past weekend. The ocean still was as beautiful as ever, and people were out on the beach, but yes...sadly, did see some tar balls:-(( Still, had a GREAT weekend and felt good about supporting the local economy with our tourist dollars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fort Walton Beach trip with friends 004.jpg (438.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Fort Walton Beach trip with friends 007.jpg (609.0 KB, 3 views)

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 06-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #4660
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Spent a few days at Fort Walton Beach, FL this past weekend. The ocean still was as beautiful as ever, and people were out on the beach, but yes...sadly, did see some tar balls:-(( Still, had a GREAT weekend and felt good about supporting the local economy with our tourist dollars.
Yup, that looks like the Fort Walton/ Destin area. Pretty beaches. They say you get some tar balls just from normal oil seepage. I've never really noticed as I had other things to look at.

Took the mutt on a hiking and swimming trip this morning. Boy it was hot. The mutt handled it well by cooling off in the water. I looked like I had been swimming, drenched from head to toe. Then this afternoon I mowed my grass. More sweating.

Closed Thread