Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #4661
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm getting ready to go out of town for a few days for one hot biker rally in AR.

So, I've manicured, pedicured, waxed and have picked out my clothing for the event. The leather is supple and the chains are shiny.

Eh heh....a good time will be had by all....

Is it true biker chicks get passed around like a rag dolls?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #4662
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Tried to find a "Notary Public" who actually is performing their commissioned tasks for the public.

Needed to have my signature notorized for a document of DW. Knowing that auto dealers have notaries, stopped at the one in town. When asking the the manager if I could use their notary, he informed me that the notary only does internal work. Good luck for that dealership to ever sell me or DW a car in the future.

Next stop a real estate office. The owner was covering the floor, who I know to be a notary, denied that he was a notary. (he is listed as notary in a few town blurbs) Next. But helpfully suggested that the bank next door, and a title company across the street both have notaries.

On to the bank. Was informed that their notary is only for bank business.

Getting a tad annoyed head over to the title co. Their notary was not in. (11 am) Ok. On to another bank where we have accounts. Once again was told the only do notary work for bank business. But helpfully pointed the way to Borough hall where they were sure there was a notary publick who actually performs service for the publick.

Imagine how unreasonable it is for me to expect that the description, Notary Public is actually supposed to perform a public service, surely that can't be.

Anyway, walk into borough hall, first office is the chamber of commerce, ask my now boring question. The lady politely points me to the office of the State representative three doors down who she thinks is a notary.

Find my way down the hall, find the State rep's office door open, walk in and ask my now very repetitive question. The lady behind the big desk, who is of course not the State rep. answer in the affirmative.

Miracles never end. She very competently reviewed my docs, asked for my ID and after looking at my driver's license, performed the magic rites, added stamps and embossments, even found a lady to act and sign as witness for some lines which required a witness.

After this long exercise, I went kayaking. A much better way to spend time.
I always go to my bank when I need something notarized, and they are very accommodating. I have only a fairly modest checking account, but I know the ladies as it is right across the street from my office and I socialize a bit when I go in to make a deposit or cash a check. I think the executive secretary of my agency is a notary but I would be hesitant to go to her as she not terribly friendly and in any case I would not want her to know my business. But I know what you mean.....hard to find someone for stuff like this.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #4663

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Spent a few days at Fort Walton Beach, FL this past weekend. The ocean still was as beautiful as ever, and people were out on the beach, but yes...sadly, did see some tar balls:-(( Still, had a GREAT weekend and felt good about supporting the local economy with our tourist dollars.
Enjoyed the photos. A friend recently retired from my agency and moved back home to Dothan, AL. She talked all the time about Ft. Walton Beach and also Panama City Beach. I might be driving down for a visit next year....after she gets settled and buys a house. I talked to her last week and she is trying to acclimate herself again to the heat after 25 years up North.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #4664
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Is it true biker chicks get passed around like a rag dolls?
Maybe in some clubs...but not ours.

The men say 'yes ma'am', 'please' and 'have MERCY'!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #4665
Recycles dryer sheets

I figured out how to cope today! Crown molding no less. The Internet is great. Made some jigs and succeeded. Now I can get my project done.

I also planted little sweet potatoes and leeks this morning then watered them before the blistering heat got going. Figures my first summer in retirement is a scorcher.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #4666

After our home shredder shredded itself and we discovered that home shredders are only rated for about 5 minutes use each hour, we took 70lbs of old documents to OfficeMax to be shredded. A dollar a pound was kind of steep, but we could stand there and watch them do it.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #4667
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went to farmers' market (and three other stops); successful hunting and gathering. Turned on A/C for first time this year.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #4668
Recycles dryer sheets

Went and harevested a community garden and took the veggie's to the food pantry. We took about 60 pounds of cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, and peas today. We had to get an early start since it was 83 degrees at 7 AM! It's now over 100.

After that we came home to babysit our seven month old granddaughter. I have been rolling around in the floor and playing with her for the last couple of hours. She's now going down for a nap, and grnadma thinks she needs one too!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #4669

Took DW for her 2nd cataract surgery. All went well. The same doc did my eyes as well. It was done at the local surgery center 3 blocks from the town square. While she was getting set up and operated on, I walked over to the town square, where in the gazebo a Jazz band was entertaining the noon time crowds. Plus on Sunday evenings there is usually some band playing.

Along the way stopped at one of the coffee shops for a nice cup, walked over to a park bench and enjoyed the brew along with the music. Yeah, small town life is tough.

Mowed grass, time to go get pizza for dinner.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #4670
Administrator

Yesterday we spent all afternoon at the art museum. It is free on Wednesdays. We took our time and looked at all exhibits, all galleries. Today, the world is my gallery - - art does that to me. I find myself mentally framing scenes with good composition, paying more attention to the way the sunlight falls onto things, and textures and colors. The world is a prettier place.

After getting home yesterday I did some yardwork (translation: hacking back tropical undergrowth before it takes over over my back yard). This morning I got up at 6:00 and finished while the heat was still bearable. Then went back to sleep for several hours.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #4671

Poodle sitting!

Our friends and ex-landlords are on holiday, so we are staying at their house and looking after their pooches. They are great dogs and we are enjoying a break from pretending to unpack and organize our new apartment.

I have to admit that walking a pair of miniature poodles is hard on my he-man self image, so I wear cowboy boots and a Stetson to make up for it. Native Texan and all that.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #4672
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
I have to admit that walking a pair of miniature poodles is hard on my he-man self image, so I wear cowboy boots and a Stetson to make up for it. Native Texan and all that.
That won't fly unless your belt buckle is the size of a small dinner plate...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 06-25-2010, 12:15 AM   #4673
Give me a forum ...

The criminal case of which I have been one of the jurors concluded today. It was my first trial case ever. It was a case where a defendant faced multiple serious charges ranging from endangerment, arson, aggravated assault, to conspiracy to commit murder and attempted first degree murder, etc... Alleged victims took the witness stand, as well as many witnesses called by the prosecution.

It was obvious to all jurors that the defendant was definitely guilty, but not of all the charges thrown on him. I took the responsibility seriously, hence lost a lot of sleep over this. It was stressful to argue back and forth with other antagonistic jurors over several individual charges. At times, I felt they were too soft on crime. On one charge, I was about to become a rogue juror, to cause a hung jury over just that charge. I knew that the prosecution would not bother to retry just that charge, hence it was simply to ease my conscience that I did the right thing.

Near the end, I decided to go along with the other jurors and not raised a ruckus, when I realized that the prosecution and defense do plea bargaining all the time. This means that from a practical standpoint, one should accept that absolute justice cannot be defined. One must be satisfied that a guilty defendant does not walk free, and that he might escape a few valid charges against him. The justice system is choked with cases, and I could not see myself causing troubles to add to that bottleneck.

What was so sad about this case was that the defendant, being a solidly middle-class citizen with a good job and good income, got himself in trouble by committing a pervert sexual act, and then compounding it with more crimes to cover it up, and ended up with attempted murder charges. How could someone be so stupid? It was all very sad.

Now that the case is over, I can describe it with complete details, but do not feel like writing more than the above. The sad evolution of this individual digging himself deeper and deeper might not be all that unusual to people dealing with crimes all the time. Still, it was all very sad for me and other jurors to see.

And by the way, the judge, prosecution, and counsel came over to the jury room afterwards to talk to us. The judge informed us that the defendant never made a serious attempt to plea bargain. Of course the prosecution bluffed him with all these charges initially, and then had to carry out the threat. It was a good thing for him that the jury did not find him guilty of all the charges, else he might spend the next few decades behind bar serving just the minimum time on each charge. He was pushing his luck all the time. How lucky do you feel, punk?

There is one thing unique about the AZ court system. The jurors are allowed to take notes. We then used our own notes during deliberation. I really do not know how one could remember all the details for a lengthy trial like this. We can also submit written questions while the witnesses are giving testimonies on the stand.

Now that I have my normal life back, I will continue to work on my RV to prepare for a longer trip. I may even do some w*rk to make a bit of money.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:37 AM   #4674
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
After our home shredder shredded itself and we discovered that home shredders are only rated for about 5 minutes use each hour, we took 70lbs of old documents to OfficeMax to be shredded. A dollar a pound was kind of steep, but we could stand there and watch them do it.
Holy crap! I pay about $5 for 25#.

Ha
Old 06-25-2010, 12:39 AM   #4675
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Now that I have my normal life back, I will continue to work on my RV to prepare for a longer trip. I may even do some w*rk to make a bit of money.
Come on now, I need you to spend your time posting songs.

Ha
Old 06-25-2010, 12:42 AM   #4676
Give me a forum ...

I need to spread them out. My repertoire of songs is finite you know, even if they are in multiple languages. When I run out, what do I do?
Old 06-25-2010, 05:56 AM   #4677

Took 5 gallons of DW's bottled water and brewed my first batch of beer. Also started phase II of my backyard renovation project - re-leveling patio, adding rock out-croppings and flagstone paths, and some plantings.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #4678
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Finished power washing our 1350 sq.ft. rooftop patio. Black and green mold now all gone and normal color restored. I had to wait for some rain so the residents below did not complain about my overspray.

Celebrated by meeting a friend at a downtown pub after work. Rain had cleared away and sun was out. Summer has finally arrived!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #4679
Give me a forum ...

Just got back from my Eureka Springs, AR trip…here are the highlights….

Nice to see hills again…lovely ride.
Did a lot of sweatin’.
Made the destination and met up with over a hundred bikers at the hotel…
Dined on crawfish etouffee, sausage, dirty rice, salad and watermelon…
I ate my first crawfish (in the shell). Two people had to instruct me on how to eat said crawfish. Evidentially I’m not good at suckin’, so I gave up after wrasslin’ with just two crawfish…
One of members of the biker’s association is a Catholic priest from Baton Rouge and he blessed our supper.
Met a couple of members that came all the way from Vancouver and Boston.
Enjoyed some JD and a few beers.
A State Trooper came to our room one night.
Rode a train that boasted a 1 hour ride…yep, it was an hour, but we went only 2 miles.
Contemplated getting a tattoo of a body piercing.
Sat around in a huge circle, passed around tequila, JD, smoked salmon, peanuts and cigars. I didn’t take a cigar.
Listened to some great music.
Enjoyed more JD and a few beers.
The same State Trooper came to our room again, but it was ok as he had a key.
Bought a HD biker tee shirt that is subtle on the front and evil on the back.
Hooked up with friends that live in the area and went to a fabulous restaurant. I don’t know what was more delicious, the wine and pork tenderloin or the way the waiter Franco said my name.
Said goodbye to my pals while lightning lit up the sky and lightning bugs lit up the trees.

I'm just downright tuckered out.....

Old 06-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #4680
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The criminal case of which I have been one of the jurors concluded today. It was my first trial case ever. It was a case where a defendant faced multiple serious charges ranging from endangerment, arson, aggravated assault, to conspiracy to commit murder and attempted first degree murder, etc... Alleged victims took the witness stand, as well as many witnesses called by the prosecution.

It was obvious to all jurors that the defendant was definitely guilty, but not of all the charges thrown on him. I took the responsibility seriously, hence lost a lot of sleep over this. It was stressful to argue back and forth with other antagonistic jurors over several individual charges. At times, I felt they were too soft on crime. On one charge, I was about to become a rogue juror, to cause a hung jury over just that charge. I knew that the prosecution would not bother to retry just that charge, hence it was simply to ease my conscience that I did the right thing.

Near the end, I decided to go along with the other jurors and not raised a ruckus, when I realized that the prosecution and defense do plea bargaining all the time. This means that from a practical standpoint, one should accept that absolute justice cannot be defined. One must be satisfied that a guilty defendant does not walk free, and that he might escape a few valid charges against him. The justice system is choked with cases, and I could not see myself causing troubles to add to that bottleneck.

What was so sad about this case was that the defendant, being a solidly middle-class citizen with a good job and good income, got himself in trouble by committing a pervert sexual act, and then compounding it with more crimes to cover it up, and ended up with attempted murder charges. How could someone be so stupid? It was all very sad.

Now that the case is over, I can describe it with complete details, but do not feel like writing more than the above. The sad evolution of this individual digging himself deeper and deeper might not be all that unusual to people dealing with crimes all the time. Still, it was all very sad for me and other jurors to see.

And by the way, the judge, prosecution, and counsel came over to the jury room afterwards to talk to us. The judge informed us that the defendant never made a serious attempt to plea bargain. Of course the prosecution bluffed him with all these charges initially, and then had to carry out the threat. It was a good thing for him that the jury did not find him guilty of all the charges, else he might spend the next few decades behind bar serving just the minimum time on each charge. He was pushing his luck all the time. How lucky do you feel, punk?

There is one thing unique about the AZ court system. The jurors are allowed to take notes. We then used our own notes during deliberation. I really do not know how one could remember all the details for a lengthy trial like this. We can also submit written questions while the witnesses are giving testimonies on the stand.

I knew you were up to something, by your recent drop in post count...but was afraid it was buying a third vacation home or a second RV, or just busy talking to annuity salesmen... It sounds like justice was served in this case. I was on a similar trial in WA about 20 years ago, we all decided that the defendant was guilty of being a dumb*ass loser, but not necessarily all the charges levied in this particular case. The star witness for the prosecution was the defendants one-time cell mate and subsequent "business partner"...After quite a bit of discussion, we found him guilty of burglary, and the judge levied the max sentence. It worked out.