Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #4701
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Sitting in front of our woodstove-type fireplace. Had a fire this morning, and the fan is still pumping out the heat. 52 degrees outside this morning.
Hrmph. Coastal living.

Meanwhile, 30 miles inland we just hit 101. The temperature, not the highway.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2010, 01:17 AM   #4702
Moderator Emeritus

Three to five at White Plains. My Army surfing buddy has his relief on base and in his office, so we're going back out again on Tuesday. He only has about three-four weeks of no-wetsuit surfing left.

Our kid finished her two weeks in Italy with a high-school friend (whose family is now stationed in Naples). Two 17-year-old girls on a base full of sailors apparently managed to keep the trouble reports from making it halfway across the world back home... so far. Now she's spending two more weeks "off the grid" at a summer camp for a Russian-language immersion program.

It's how she wanted to spend her summer vacation. And the fun grinds to a halt in just six more weeks when NROTC begins their indoc!

This empty-nester stuff is even better than I ever thought it could be.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #4703
Administrator

Yesterday I awakened to a phone call from Frank, asking for assistance since his car battery was dead. I drove over there, we jumped his battery, and I followed him to Sears where he was given a new one. He paid nothing since it was within the warranty period. How nice to begin hurricane season with a new battery. Then lunch, and a Sunday drive.

I recently posted a photo of the stunningly beautiful Nieuschwanstein castle in the "Houses" thread, and that brought to mind a computer game that I haven't played for years - - "Gabriel Knight, The Beast Within". Part of this game takes place within the Nieuschwanstein castle, and includes photography of the inside and of views from the castle as one steers one's character through the castle as part of the game tasks.

So, last night I installed and played this old game on my present computer. I was pleased to see that it still runs on modern computers, and in Vista no less (though I had to lower the screen resolution to the minimum). The game is essentially a history lesson on Ludwig II with a little fantasy involving werewolves thrown in. The game itself is a little pretty lame, but the history is interesting. I doubt I'll play it again.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #4704
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today I'm at w*rk...

Yesterday, I broke down (heh) and ordered a power amp for my home studio. I had been using an old stereo, but every knob and switch on it was noisy and intermittent. I guess I got my moneys worth after 24 years...

Samson Servo 200 | Sweetwater.com

Also ordered some rails, to build my own rackmount cabinet, for the new amp and my processor.

Studio has been out-of-order for months, due to the remodel. Looking forward to making some muzak again.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 06-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #4705
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm still w*rking but on Saturday I got a ripping pain in my lower back. Sunday was awful, I could hardly walk. Went to doctor on Monday and he reassured me that I hadn't slipped a disc ("2/3 of people with slipped discs recover in six months or less", said The Intarwebs ) but just had acute lumbago. He gave me 4 days off work, through Thursday - pretty sweet since I have vacation booked for all of next week. He also prescribed me 300mg/day of ketoprofen, 3g/day of acetaminophen, and 200mg/day of tetrazapam, one of whose brand names is the superb "Spasmorelax". This last drug is, of course, a cousin of Valium, so I had a nice nap yesterday afternoon before the World Cup came on TV.

So today, Tuesday, I'm a little more flexible - defined as, when I walk, the heel of the foot I'm moving actually passes the toes of the other - and I guess I'm getting a glimpse of life after FIRE, although I hope my back doesn't hurt like this until I'm too old to care. Got up at 0930, check my e-mail, did a little programming, managed some pot and pan washing and squatted down to empty the dishwasher and put a load of laundry on. Then totter 200 yards to my local restaurant for today's special: tomato with mozzarella and basil, then sautÚ de porc Ó la provenšale with ratatouille and French fries. $15 including wine, water, tax, and tip. By the time you read this, I will probably have had another nap and watched some more soccer. And maybe my hosting company will have found out why my 2GB database takes up 6GB of disk space. But I will *not* have connected to work to look at my e-mails.

Oh, and to really cheer up those of you who live with the 37th best health system in the world:
the doctor's visit cost $38 and the medicines cost $18. But I do have a $1.25 co-pay on that, so I skipped coffee at lunch.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #4706
Give me a forum ...

Went to a Spanish language play class with my granddaughter and her nanny. I was really fun, but a little overwhelming for la nieta. Glad nanny was along. Went out for espresso and a sweet for the ladies afterward.

Ha
Old 06-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #4707

Watered my vegetables early; it's supposed to be high 90s today. Did 3 quick errands and got home by 10:30. I'm looking at the list of things I should do today....not sure if I'm going to tackle them or not. I think I'll read my nee library book instead.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #4708

Watching a much needed rainpour down.

A/C man and landlord showed up at 8AM to fix the condensation dripping into the hall. Fourth time in as many weeks.

An entirely separate problem in another unit required turning off the water supply to the whole complex. Waiting for it to be turned back on.

Oh, the pleasures of old buildings.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #4709
Give me a forum ...

Woke up early this a.m. to the sound of the phone ringing. My mom and dad's car caught on fire last night....some type of electrical mishap. Good news is, they were home and the car was parked where there was no damage elsewhere. Bad news is...I have to buy them another car. Thank heavens I planned for the 'OH CRAP" times in my budget...
Old 06-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #4710
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
...Got up at 0930, check my e-mail, did a little programming, managed some pot and pan washing and squatted down to empty the dishwasher and put a load of laundry on. Then totter 200 yards to my local restaurant for today's special: tomato with mozzarella and basil, then sautÚ de porc Ó la provenšale with ratatouille and French fries. $15 including wine, water, tax, and tip. By the time you read this, I will probably have had another nap and watched some more soccer. And maybe my hosting company will have found out why my 2GB database takes up 6GB of disk space. But I will *not* have connected to work to look at my e-mails.

Oh, and to really cheer up those of you who live with the 37th best health system in the world:
the doctor's visit cost $38 and the medicines cost $18. But I do have a $1.25 co-pay on that, so I skipped coffee at lunch.
LOVE the video! I wanna live in France. All that, and good food.
Sorry about the lumbago, though!
Old 06-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #4711
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Woke up early this a.m. to the sound of the phone ringing. My mom and dad's car caught on fire last night....some type of electrical mishap. Good news is, they were home and the car was parked where there was no damage elsewhere. Bad news is...I have to buy them another car. Thank heavens I planned for the 'OH CRAP" times in my budget...

Maybe not , My car caught fire last year . It was the ignition . Toyota cleaned it and replaced the ignition and it's fine .
Old 06-29-2010, 03:27 PM   #4712

I am still at w**k through Friday... and actually had a system go down today so it's been crazier than expected...

Then next week my S.O.'s mother is moving into a senior living apartment. Wheeeee.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #4713
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Maybe not , My car caught fire last year . It was the ignition . Toyota cleaned it and replaced the ignition and it's fine .
From what dad told me, the fire marshall said it started around the battery. The car caught on fire in the wee hours of the morning and burned for a while...it's pretty much a total loss from what dad tells me. The car was 12 years old and they did not have full coverage.

Oh well...it's only money....gotta take care of mom and dad...
Old 06-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #4714
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
From what dad told me, the fire marshall said it started around the battery. The car caught on fire in the wee hours of the morning and burned for a while...it's pretty much a total loss from what dad tells me. The car was 12 years old and they did not have full coverage.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:02 PM   #4715

Quote:
You got that right, I wish I had the opportunity to do so. My parents both passed away before my 29th birthday.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #4716
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Hrmph. Coastal living.

Meanwhile, 30 miles inland we just hit 101. The temperature, not the highway.
It's cold here too. The heat was finally turned off since we had a few mild days, but it is unpleasantly cold in my apt now. I am OK with this, since there is usually plenty of heat, but it is cold.

Yesterday it was cool but sunny. I walked up to the park to catch a few rays, but I almost got blown off the hillside by the wind coming off the bay. Stuck it out anyway.

Ha
Old 06-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #4717

Spent today painting trim for our new house...should be moving in July - if it passes final.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0174.jpg (415.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #4718
Recycles dryer sheets

Ran 3 miles, lifted wts, sit-ups, swam laps, picked up friend's mail, drove his car for him while he was away, shopped, went to the bank and Walmart, bought mulch, watched the Tampa Rays game vs. the Bosox. Go Rays. Kind of a boring day. One of the few since being retired. It has been nearly 1 year as of 1 July.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #4719
Recycles dryer sheets

I did the quickie monuments tour of DC for my neice & her family. They were on their way to TX to start again. This economy is tough. Had a great time with them despite the heat. We get a couple days break from the heat wavve now. And bonus, my house nicely clean sice their arrival spurred me on.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #4720
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I did the quickie monuments tour of DC for my neice & her family. They were on their way to TX to start again. This economy is tough.
I'm confused: to start what again?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Closed Thread