Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #4721
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It's cold here too. The heat was finally turned off since we had a few mild days, but it is unpleasantly cold in my apt now. I am OK with this, since there is usually plenty of heat, but it is cold.

Yesterday it was cool but sunny. I walked up to the park to catch a few rays, but I almost got blown off the hillside by the wind coming off the bay. Stuck it out anyway.

Ha
Man, what I would give for some of that cool weather. Didn't do much today. Just took the mutt on an early morning walk and ran some errands this afternoon. Went to a Mexican restaurant tonight with a couple of buddies. So.........easy day, but just the way I like it. Except for losing money in the stock market.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2010, 06:24 AM   #4722
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The last couple of days it has been sunny and dry and about 70 degrees, perfect as far as I'm concerned. Heading out today on another road trip to visit relatives.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:26 PM   #4723
Moderator Emeritus

Dawn patrol. Two-to-four, occasional six.

Usually it's done by the working class or those who live within a very short distance of the break. In this case my Army buddy figured it'd be a good way to start his day. Rush-hour traffic cooperated with the brief shot I had to make on the "interstate" but otherwise the back roads were almost clear.

As soon as we got into the water a goby jumped out in front of our boards. Scared the crap out of me until I remembered that sharks don't like the sandy shallows at White Plains. I don't know what the fish was spooked about. Otherwise the weather and the surf was great, I'm getting comfortable going backside, and a couple waves made me look better than I could ever hope to be.

Surfing with a workin' guy is a good reminder of why I'm ER'd. In the first place, he was able to immediately tell me that the federal holiday is next Monday, not this Friday-- I wasn't sure, and that can really screw up a trip to the beach this time of year. My buddy transfers in about a month, his relief is settling in nicely so there's not much left to do, and it's beginning to show in his attitude. His general decreed today that next week the entire staff would turn out at the airport (in the middle of rush hour) to greet the newly-arriving relieving commanding general and make him "feel welcome"... my buddy opined that could be better accomplished using the duty officer and a couple six-packs.

He was invited not to attend if he couldn't get with the group attitude. Mentally he's so short that he's walking under closed doors without ducking...

It felt kinda weird to be paddling back in about the time that I usually pull into the parking lot. However the rest of the day has been wide open for surfing the Internet and catching up on creative writing.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #4724
Give me a forum ...

Fixed the clogged defroster drain on the fridge ( think it was clogged). I'm disappointed that last time I did this, a few years ago, I didn't write myself a note. It would have saved some dismantling.

Today's note:
Clogged Freezer Drain

2010/06/30
If water appears below the vegetable compartment in the refrigerator, it probably means that the defrost drain is clogged.

Slide the fridge out. The drainpipe comes out of the middle of the back, 70% of the way to the top. Unscrew it and check/clear any clog.

You do not need to access anything from the inside of the fridge or freezer.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #4725

Ate lunch at Taste of Chicago. Steak sandwich, prime rib quesadillas, and a hot dog - perfect weight watching lunch. Came home and transferred my 1st beer batch to the secondary fermenter.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:13 PM   #4726
Administrator

Went for a routine appointment with my doctor. My bloodwork has improved quite a lot, and my BP is down too. What a nice surprise! My health had been going downhill during my last year or two at work, but appears to be improving in ER with little or no effort. I think the stress reduction is responsible for my improved health.

Who knew that joy and fun all day every day could do all this?

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #4727
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Went for a routine appointment with my doctor. My bloodwork has improved quite a lot, and my BP is down too. What a nice surprise!
Pretty soon now you'll be getting those low-BP head rushes when you stand up out of your recliner...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:56 PM   #4728
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Pretty soon now you'll be getting those low-BP head rushes when you stand up out of your recliner...
Not again! I used to get those when I was a kid.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #4729
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not again! I used to get those when I was a kid.
I just get a good grayout buzz and stagger around for a few seconds.

Saves me from having to buy beer meds.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:26 AM   #4730

Went on a nice ~160-mile bike ride. Out through Shepherdstown, WV to Boonsboro, MD, found some unknown back road that ended up on MD Rt 40, took that to near Frederick, MD then north on MD 15 to MD 26 and east on that to MD 27 south to Damascus, MD. Stopped at one of the few remaining genuine country stores for water and chatted with a guy driving a 1940's or something hot rod about what a perfect day it was. Wish I had taken a picture of it, it looked like a frame-off restore job.

Decided to head for home so took IS 270 (yuck!) to MD 340 west to MD 17 to Middletown, MD, back through Sharpsburg, MD, to Shepherdstown, WV and then home.

All in all, a nice day. I offered to take DW to her hair appointment on the bike but she has some issue about not mashing down her freshly-done hair with a motorcycle helmet. Women are funny that way. She then left in the afternoon for two days to babysit her nephew's two kids.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #4731

Prepared our ancient old "bowling ball" iMac to donate to Goodwill. Sorry to see it go. It was a great design and worked perfectly, albeit a bit slowly.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #4732
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Went for a routine appointment with my doctor. My bloodwork has improved quite a lot, and my BP is down too. What a nice surprise! My health had been going downhill during my last year or two at work, but appears to be improving in ER with little or no effort. I think the stress reduction is responsible for my improved health.

YAY! I'm hoping for the same response re BP and so on. Stress? There was (is) STRESS

Last day is tomorrow. I'm trying to pass on all accumulated knowledge of projects in a few hours.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #4733
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
YAY! I'm hoping for the same response re BP and so on. Stress? There was (is) STRESS

Last day is tomorrow. I'm trying to pass on all accumulated knowledge of projects in a few hours.
. That's how my last days went, too. Tell us all about it.

My "white coat syndrome" has disappeared.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #4734
Give me a forum ...

Happy Canada Day to all Canucks on the Board....hey, you can all be honorary (make that honourary) Canucks for today!

It's a holiday here, but since I have been away a lot recently, it's a good chance to get some stuff done at the office. That's what I've done for the past two hours. Now, I'm off to PARTY!!

Old 07-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #4735
Administrator

Happy Canada Day, Meadbh!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #4736
Moderator Emeritus

Finished the overhaul of our kid's bathroom. Fresh caulk on the tub, no more hairballs in the bathtub drain, fresh toilet parts, fresh baseboard paint, cleaned window & screen, lubricated window track, cleaned & re-hung shower curtain... she'll hardly recognize the place.

We fixed the rolling wheels on two eight-foot mirrored closet doors. In retrospect it's probably been 10 years since I cleaned them, and they were the hairballs from hell-- the size of ping-pong balls in/around each wheel. The wheels were totally locked up. Spouse and I were literally using headlights, magnifying glasses, and tweezers to pick the hairs out of the bearings. (You've seen the operating-room microsurgery scenes in "Gray's Anatomy.") Dawn liquid soap turned out to be the key to breaking up the hairballs. 30 minutes' work, some WD-40, and they're rolling again (the wheels, not the hairballs).

Next we're putting new doorknobs on all the doors in that hallway. Spouse could paint some more walls and baseboards, but we've decided that it makes more sense to wait another 38 days until our teen is done banging all her luggage around on her way out the door.

Our kid got her NROTC "Welcome aboard" letter today, and spouse & I got our own "To the Parents of" letter. We've been assured us that our new midshipman will be carefully trained by the upperclass cadre while the officers stand around monitoring safety. Yeah, right. Spouse and I both have uniforms that are older than the safety monitors...

Old 07-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #4737
Recycles dryer sheets

The heat wave here in eastern NC finally broke. 70s today. We rode the bike down the Outer Banks, and took the ferry to Ocracoke Island. Wandered a few beach shops, had lunch at a sandwich shop, and rode the ferry back to Hatteras. Got a call from the Ford Dealer, so far they have found a bad oil cooler, bad egt cooler, and low boost from the turbocharger. They are not finished with the tear-down yet. Sounds like... about $4000 so far. But.... it still has 2 months left on the 5/100 engine warranty!!!

We stopped at the Sugar Creek Seafood House for an early dinner. I had the disgustingly rich crab bisque to celebrate 5/100 warranties. DW had the early dinner special - 20 shrimp and 2 sides for $12.99. I ate some.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #4738
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
The heat wave here in eastern NC finally broke. 70s today. We rode the bike down the Outer Banks, and took the ferry to Ocracoke Island.
Spouse-to-be and I made a college after-finals trip there in May 1980. The beach was so deserted that... well... I still remember that trip.

But "Edwards" is probably long gone.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:11 AM   #4739

Went to western Il with my BIL (retired last week) to look over his and SIL's soon to be mini retirement ranch. Puttzed around his pole barn. Fired up his old truck and boat to make sure they would run. Came home and took my vessel on a turtle watch.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:46 AM   #4740

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
The heat wave here in eastern NC finally broke. 70s today.

Glad the heat wave finally broke (for a few days). DW and I couldn't take it anymore so we left the beach and headed 700 miles north to see the kids and grandbaby.

So today I championed the effort to chane the oil on the kid's Murano. Piece of cake except when I knocked over the 5gal. oil can. Is it coincidental that my initials are bp - doom on me