Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #4821
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry about your kitty Tesaje !

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #4822
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Stayed inside all day, too hot to do anything else. Replaced the broken remote control switch for the bedroom ceiling fan.

Played on the computer, read the paper, watched some TV. DW surprised me by trying on her wedding dress, which she often does when the anniversary gets close. I got some pictures, but am expressly forbidden to show them to anyone else, even after touching up with Photoshop.

I told her she hasn't changed a bit in 22 years. She doesn't believe me but smiled anyway.
I, too, am impressed that DW can still fit into her wedding dress because I sure couldn't...even if I could move the heavy TV to access the trunk in my bedroom where the dress is stored. Like a loaf of yeasted bread, I have doubled in dress size in 33 years, going from a size 6 to a size 12! Congrats on you anniversary.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #4823
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Shed some tears for my dear old (17) cat who was increasingly bruising and bleeding. End of the road for him and he was in pain so I had him put down and buried him next to his old dog friend. He lived longer than anyone thought he could but this was the last straw. A really good cat that I will miss. RIP.
Tesaje, I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you gave your beloved kitty a good life.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #4824
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Shed some tears for my dear old (17) cat who was increasingly bruising and bleeding. End of the road for him and he was in pain so I had him put down and buried him next to his old dog friend. He lived longer than anyone thought he could but this was the last straw. A really good cat that I will miss. RIP.

The rest of day I just did some cleaning up from all the stuff I had out for him. I think I needed a quiet day after all the vet activity of the last few days.
Sorry to hear about your kitty cat. You did the right thing for him.
I am an animal lover too. I cried over every single beloved pet I've lost over the years.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #4825

What a great day! Sushi for lunch, pool in the afternoon, and then grilled up Creole Grouper, served with Cauliflower Smashed Potatoes (yes, they are so good!) and grilled veggies. Yummy!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grilled Creole Grouper 001.jpg (654.9 KB, 4 views)

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 07-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #4826
Give me a forum ...

I've been enjoying some luscious blackberries. I have this funny feeling that none will make it to the freezer. Blueberries are almost ripe. Yummy!
I finally planted my Roma tomatoes in containers. I grew them from seed.
I finally stayed home for 1 day and got off my keister to transplant them. The plants are big enough and there is enough growing season left to just barely get tomatoes.
I have hot Portugal peppers in a container and am growing Cubanelles in my 10 gal aquarium. Buds are just starting on the Cubanelles.
My regular garden is a mass of weeds I don't feel like dealing with, hence the containers.
Back lawn is mowed. All in all a successful day.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #4827
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent most of the day wondering where the evil cat had got to. He ran out last night & would not come back. Didn't show in the morning like usual. A friend brought his new dog over to go thru some seperation exercises because I'm going to dog sit next weekend. The dog found and pointed to the evil cat's hiding place for me. I fetched him and found the limping paw is now a bloody paw. Sheesh! Looks like someone bit him. Now we have to go back to the vet. I sure am supporting that clinic this month. He wants to go outside tonight too. Idiot cat.

This is just too much animal excitement for one week.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #4828

DW is pet-sitting for her brother & SIL while they go to SC for almost a week, staying in a nice hotel. Never mind that there is a free doublewide available 30 minutes down the road, but that's them.

So later on I'll ride the bike over to see her and FIL. Miss her already.

But there's bright side to everything. Since she's away I can leave the bed unmade and the toilet seats up.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #4829

A splendid early morning kayaking on the lake. Water smooth as a baby's a$$. Quiet. A joy to paddle around, get lost in the paddling where it is on autopilot. Parked at a favorite spot in front of a rock face.

The world did not exist, just the view of the bow parting the waters.

These pics were taken last summer, still just the same this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Que_Roc_undercut.jpg (881.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Que_rockfac1.jpg (840.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #4830
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
But there's bright side to everything. Since she's away I can leave the bed unmade and the toilet seats up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
A splendid early morning kayaking on the lake. Water smooth as a baby's a$$. Quiet. A joy to paddle around, get lost in the paddling where it is on autopilot. Parked at a favorite spot in front of a rock face.

Lovely pics....a piece of heaven on earth.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #4831
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post

Very nice pictures ! It reminds me of Pennsylvania .
Old 07-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #4832

Occasionally jumping out of my skin as the roofers drop bundles of shingles right over my head. However, the HOA gets eco-points for selecting white shingles instead of the ubiquitous (and silly for Texas) dark gray or black.

Off to afternoon coffee and pastries with friends. Life is tough.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #4833

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Very nice pictures ! It reminds me of Pennsylvania .
A nice lake, not very well known, not very far from Johnstown.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #4834
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry for your loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
Tesaje, I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you gave your beloved kitty a good life.

I am sure he was a wonderful kitty. He is now healthy again and playing with his dog friend in Rainbow Bridge. You've provided a wonderful life for him for 17 years, let that thought comfort you, at least a little.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #4835

A good day here in VT. Weather is a little cooler than it was last week. Our 7 year-old granddaughter has been here for a few days. This morning we took her to the one-week day camp which was the primary reason for her trip to VT. After dropping her off, walked for an hour on a path that skirts Lake Champlain for part of the way. After going home and eating lunch, drove back to the vicinity of her camp, this time with the kayaks on the roof of the car. Paddled around Shelburne Bay for an hour and a half and then picked up granddaughter who had a very nice day. Early supper and took the dog to obedience class. On the way home, stopped for creemees with granddaughter. (Creemees = soft serve ice cream.) Just put granddaughter to bed. Sure beats the hell out of driving on the Beltway in the DC area to get to/from a job I didn't really love.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #4836
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
What a great day! Sushi for lunch, pool in the afternoon, and then grilled up Creole Grouper, served with Cauliflower Smashed Potatoes (yes, they are so good!) and grilled veggies. Yummy!!!
That plate looks pretty darn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I've been enjoying some luscious blackberries. I have this funny feeling that none will make it to the freezer. Blueberries are almost ripe. Yummy!
A lady down the street from me has a few blueberry bushes and they are covered. I picked some yesterday with her permission. I love them on cereal. I have a fig tree that should be ready for some harvesting by the weekend. I'll have to return the favor and drop a few off to the lady.

No golf today but will be back at it tomorrow. Ran a few errands and dropped by my old company. I feel sorry for a couple of my old buddies as they are trying to get familiar with a new computer system. The system doesn't appear to be as user friendly as the old one. Made me appreciate my freedom even more.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #4837
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Made bean soup and rice pilaf and chef salad.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #4838
Administrator

It was a hot, humid day here in New Orleans today, and I didn't cook a thing. We went out. For lunch I ordered a cup of superb seafood gumbo, and we split an order of freshly made onion rings. Summertime, and the living is easy....

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #4839

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It was a hot, humid day here in New Orleans today, and I didn't cook a thing. We went out. For lunch I ordered a cup of superb seafood gumbo, and we split an order of freshly made onion rings. Summertime, and the living is easy....
W2R, have you ever eaten at the "Iron Pot"? It is on Veterans right on the corner as you get off the interstate at the airport.
That is the best Seafood Gumbo I have ever eaten out in a restaurant. I think the cooks are all the real deal. I recommend it. Let me know if you try it.
Meanwhile, what did I do all day? I worked a full day of course.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #4840
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
W2R, have you ever eaten at the "Iron Pot"? It is on Veterans right on the corner as you get off the interstate at the airport.
No, I haven't been in there since it was "Jazz Seafood and Steak" not so long ago. Sounds like the new place has settled right in.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread