Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #4941
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I trust the sob.
Ah. So you went with one finger.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #4942
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ah. So you went with one finger.
I guess it could have been worse.

prostate exam videos from friends & fun videos on webshots
Old 07-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #4943

No way I'm clicking on that link...
Old 07-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #4944

Yesterday we took DW's sister out to lunch. After 29 years of nursing, last week she retired! She already looks more relaxed, but wonders (just a little) what she's going to do. So I pointed her to this thread.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #4945
Give me a forum ...

Last night I went dancing outdoors in the park. It was fairly chilly, but a big crowd and mostly everyone having fun and smiling. I look forward to these dances every year, as they are outdoors in attractive places, cool and attended by lots of people who aren't regular members of a dance community, so I get to meet some less battle-hardened women. The sponsors put down a portable dancefloor. The dances have grown over the years, many have live bands and 16 are scheduled this summer. I imagine that the last few might be quite cold, as they are in a place fully exposed to the wind off the bay.

Once you reach middle age, men have it easier than women at things like this. Though here women at least feel free to ask a man to dance, and many do that. If a woman is sitting and sees a guy dancing who seems respectful and at least moderately skilled often she will pounce, literally, the minute he releases his current partner.

I think I have discovered a difference between men and women. For the most part when a man looks at a woman dancing or standing, he thinks is she pretty, is she sexy, is she well dressed. A woman on the other hand seems more inclined to note the interaction and perceived relationship between the partners. If his current partner is enjoying the dance, I likely will too she seems to think. They rate the other woman's apparent experience and seem to decide that it likely has meaning for them. In a dance community this is very out front where they share war stories, warnings, and also recs in the ladies room.

Ha
Old 07-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #4946
Full time employment: Posting here.

Last night I went to see Iris De Ment - incredible.iris dement - Google Search
"Our Town" is one of my favorites.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #4947
Give me a forum ...

I've done very little today. I did have to run a couple of errands, for the kitties... The clerk I spoke to is getting married next May. She said she already had the venue and had ordered her dress. She looked a bit sad and I asked her why....she said, "I've been bursting into tears the last few days because the bills are starting to come in and it depresses me."

Tonight I'll be going to a concert at the local college where my DH will be playing in a Latin Jazz combo.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #4948

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
The clerk I spoke to is getting married next May. She said she already had the venue and had ordered her dress.
Hope her wedding plans work out better than this couple: Bride fears 'Lois' flower stench will crash wedding
Old 07-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #4949
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

'Bout wore myself out today trying to rid my flower garden of Sweet Woodruff...nothing sweet about that stuff. It was such a cute little plant last year...not this year.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #4950
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Last night I went dancing outdoors in the park. It was fairly chilly, but a big crowd and mostly everyone having fun and smiling. I look forward to these dances every year, as they are outdoors in attractive places, cool and attended by lots of people who aren't regular members of a dance community, so I get to meet some less battle-hardened women. The sponsors put down a portable dancefloor. The dances have grown over the years, many have live bands and 16 are scheduled this summer. I imagine that the last few might be quite cold, as they are in a place fully exposed to the wind off the bay.

Once you reach middle age, men have it easier than women at things like this. Though here women at least feel free to ask a man to dance, and many do that. If a woman is sitting and sees a guy dancing who seems respectful and at least moderately skilled often she will pounce, literally, the minute he releases his current partner.

I think I have discovered a difference between men and women. For the most part when a man looks at a woman dancing or standing, he thinks is she pretty, is she sexy, is she well dressed. A woman on the other hand seems more inclined to note the interaction and perceived relationship between the partners. If his current partner is enjoying the dance, I likely will too she seems to think. They rate the other woman's apparent experience and seem to decide that it likely has meaning for them. In a dance community this is very out front where they share war stories, warnings, and also recs in the ladies room.

Ha
Nah. When I was dancing a lot, the only thing in my head about potential dance partners was: can he lead and not jerk my arm off? Faking enjoyment is something women are highly skilled at. We know it and don't assume another is actually being sincere. She is just as likely only being gracious. I looked at how the men led and danced but as you say, women are at a disadvantage in that game. Consequently, we suffer through a lot of bad dancers and some men on the make. I only looked at women who were really good dancers for the enjoyment and for technique. I really had not the least bit of interest in most of the men for anything but a dance.

Today, I spent most of it at MVA getting my van camper all legal. Then I went to the shop to find out if he could fix my broken generator exhaust pipe, but alas not. Nobody has the small diameter stuff. Time to figure out a jury rig solution. Seems ridiculous to not have repair stuff.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #4951
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
'Bout wore myself out today trying to rid my flower garden of Sweet Woodruff...nothing sweet about that stuff. It was such a cute little plant last year...not this year.
Wish I had that problem. Mine is getting a lot of brown kill from all this heat. I've been trying to get it to spread.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:26 AM   #4952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Woke up, got outta bed, showered, and dragged a comb across my head. Made a cup of coffee,
Did you look up and notice you were late?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #4953
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Faking enjoyment is something women are highly skilled at.
Faking enjoyment is something that women think they are highly skilled at. Many men are not as dumb as you women too often assume that we are. Of course, this just confers one more advantage on us.

Ha
Old 07-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #4954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Somebody spoke and he went into a dream.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #4955
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums
Woke up, got outta bed, showered, and dragged a comb across my head. Made a cup of coffee,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Somebody spoke and he went into a dream.
I have no idea what Major Tom and jebmke mean, I'm still wondering how in the world Birdie Num Nums can do all that before making coffee.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #4956
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
While playing with FIRECalc, I usually set the number of years for retirement at 35. Today, I tried 45 then 50 years. I got 100% on 50 years...that means it's ok if I live to be 102.

I don't do firecalc as our rental property doesn't translate well - using Quicken 2006 retirement planner from their planning tab. My gal's Mom is still ticking at 95YO, so I want our assets to last till 2045, or the gal being 95. Unfortunately, Quicken continues to claim our plan fails several years short of that. Been figuring 3% inflation and 4% rate of return after retirement - what inflation and return rates do others use? Getting really tired of Quicken saying we won't make it when I feel we can.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #4957
Give me a forum ...

New windows are in. Put up curtain rods. DW arranged the curtains in proper form.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #4958
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I don't do firecalc as our rental property doesn't translate well - using Quicken 2006 retirement planner from their planning tab. My gal's Mom is still ticking at 95YO, so I want our assets to last till 2045, or the gal being 95. Unfortunately, Quicken continues to claim our plan fails several years short of that. Been figuring 3% inflation and 4% rate of return after retirement - what inflation and return rates do others use? Getting really tired of Quicken saying we won't make it when I feel we can.
I use 3% for inflation, then normally 4% rate of return as well.

With FIRECalc I use 3% inflation and Total Market in the Portfolio tab. It's unlikely I'll live to be 80, so I'm not too worried if the calculators are off.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #4959
Moderator Emeritus

Clicked on "New Posts" for the first time in nearly three weeks.

Been a bit busy with "life happens, and usually all at once" stuff. No crises, all turned out OK, but busy.

I'll get caught up on everything and then put up some more.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #4960
Gone but not forgotten

My mom is 94 but she spends so little money that basically her SS would cover it . She does have a small pension from my DAD and some assets in CD's . Since she hit 90 her spending has really declined . She had to stop driving so that expense is gone and she eats like a bird . She still shops when we take her or she does QVC . Plus there is the weekly hair appointment . She does pay my Sister some rent but it is really not that much .
Closed Thread