Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #5001
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Major Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 3,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Who do you list your items with?
If you don't mind me asking?
Steve
It depends what I'm selling. If I'm selling camera gear I list it at fredmiranda.com. In this case, one of the items was some metal cases for housing homebuilt ham radio gear, so I listed it on the Yahoo Group for that particular radio.

If it's specialty gear I'm selling, I'll use the appropriate specialty forum. One of the other items I had to sell that day was a couple of microphones. I listed them on craigslist and by the end of the day had sold them to a guy who lived a mile down the road. He stayed for 2 hours and we talked about all sorts of things. I made some money and got a great conversation to boot!
__________________

__________________
Major Tom is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #5002
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,579
Went out to dinner yesterday with DW to celebrate 22 years of wedded bliss.

After dinner we went to a nearby park to walk around, look at a playground she used to take her niece & nephew to, and take some pictures. Normally she's very camera-shy but since she was dressed & made up she allowed photos to be taken. After editing she even liked (some of) the results.

I'm getting back into photography after a long layoff and am enthralled with the flexibility of digital photographs and Photoshop Elements 8. I even bought a Wacom drawing tablet to make the editing easier. In another ten years or so I might even be good at it.
__________________

__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline  
Old 07-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #5003
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Major Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 3,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Went out to dinner yesterday with DW to celebrate 22 years of wedded bliss.

After dinner we went to a nearby park to walk around, look at a playground she used to take her niece & nephew to, and take some pictures. Normally she's very camera-shy but since she was dressed & made up she allowed photos to be taken. After editing she even liked (some of) the results.

I'm getting back into photography after a long layoff and am enthralled with the flexibility of digital photographs and Photoshop Elements 8. I even bought a Wacom drawing tablet to make the editing easier. In another ten years or so I might even be good at it.
You'll love that Wacom tablet Walt. The fact that it is pressure sensitive makes it even easier to perform edits on your images. It's funny to think that just a few years ago many photographers were arguing over whether digital was a legitimate medium. I found that I got a lot better a lot faster with digital due to the immediacy of the feedback as compared with film.

Congratulations on 22 years!
__________________
Major Tom is offline  
Old 07-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #5004
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,322
I'd been in a funk over the last couple of weeks, but yesterday I had a red letter day. I won a regatta Wednesday and yesterday won a golf match with a personal best score. That got me out of the funk in a hurry, though now I have no way to go but down I should space these rare events out.
__________________
FinallyRetired is offline  
Old 07-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #5005
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
I'd been in a funk over the last couple of weeks, but yesterday I had a red letter day. I won a regatta Wednesday and yesterday won a golf match with a personal best score. That got me out of the funk in a hurry, though now I have no way to go but down I should space these rare events out.
Congrats! Always fun to shoot a good score on the golf course. I played pretty well this morning, but my team lost. Tough to have to pay out on your b'day. Oh well, I will wash away my sorrows with a med or two tonight at the club.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline  
Old 07-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #5006
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Congrats! Always fun to shoot a good score on the golf course. I played pretty well this morning, but my team lost. Tough to have to pay out on your b'day. Oh well, I will wash away my sorrows with a med or two tonight at the club.
Hey, that 19th hole can cure a whole host of ills If you played well, that's all you can control. Golf is a cruel sport. Earlier this week I had a personal worst, ready to give up the game, then I get rewarded with a personal best two days later. Go figure.
__________________
FinallyRetired is offline  
Old 07-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #5007
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
Golf is a cruel sport. Earlier this week I had a personal worst, ready to give up the game, then I get rewarded with a personal best two days later.
Law 2 I believe.

LAW 1:
No matter how bad your last shot was, you should have inner peace knowing that a worse one is yet to come. (This law does not expire on the 18th hole, since it has the supernatural tendency to extend over the course of a tournament, a summer and, eventually, a lifetime.)
LAW 2:
Your best round of golf will be followed almost immediately by your worst round ever. The probability of the latter increases with the number of people you tell about the former.
LAW 3:
Brand new golf balls are water-magnetic. (Though this cannot be proven in the lab, it is a known fact that the more expensive the golf ball, the greater its attraction to water. Expensive clubs have been known to be partly made with this most unusual natural alloy.)
LAW 4:
Golf balls never bounce off of trees back into play. If one does, the tree is breaking a law of the universe and should be cut down.
LAW 5:
No matter what causes a golfer to muff a shot, all the playing partners must solemnly chant "You looked up," or invoke the wrath of the universe.
LAW 6:
The higher a golfer's handicap, the more qualified he deems himself as an instructor.
LAW 7:
Every par-three hole in the world has a secret desire to humiliate golfers…The shorter the hole, the greater its desire.
LAW 8:
Palm trees eat golf balls.
LAW 9:
Sand is alive. It will swallow your balls.
LAW 10:
A golfer hitting into your group will always be bigger than anyone in your group. Likewise, a group you accidentally hit into will consist of a football player, a professional wrestler, a convicted murderer and an IRS agent - or some similar combination.
LAW 11:
All three-woods are demon possessed.
LAW 12:
Golf balls from the same "sleeve" tend to follow one another, particularly out of bounds or into the water (See LAW 3).
LAW 13:
A severe slice is a thing of awesome power and beauty.
LAW 14:
The person you would most hate to lose to will always be the one who beats you.
LAW 15:
The last three holes of a round will automatically adjust your score to what it really should be.
LAW 16:
Golf should be given up at least twice per month.
LAW 17:
All vows taken on a golf course shall be valid only until the sunset.
LAW 18:
Since bad shots come in groups of three, your fourth consecutive bad shot is really the beginning of the next group of three.
LAW 19:
When you look up and cause an awful shot, you will always look down again at exactly the MOMENT WHEN you should have continued watching the ball if you ever want to see it again.
LAW 20:
The less skilled the player, the more likely he is to share his ideas about your swing.
LAW 21:
If it isn't broke, try changing your grip.
LAW 22:
Golfers who claim they don't cheat, also lie.
LAW 23:
A golf match is a test of your skill against your opponent's luck.
LAW 24:
It's surprisingly easy to hole a 50-foot putt when you lie 8.
LAW 25:
Counting on your opponent to inform you when he breaks a rule is like expecting him to make fun of his own haircut.
LAW 26:
Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.
LAW 27:
It's not a gimme if you're still away.
LAW 28:
The shortest distance between any two points on a golf course is a straight line that passes directly through the center of a very large tree.
LAW 29:
You can hit a 2-acre fairway 10% of the time, and a 2-inch branch 90% of the time.
LAW 30:
Every time a golfer makes a birdie, he must subsequently make two triple bogeys to restore the fundamental equilibrium of the Universe.
LAW 31:
If you want to hit a 7-iron as far as Tiger Woods, or as hard as Elin Woods, simply try to lay up just short of a water hazard.
LAW 32:
There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.
LAW 33:
Hazards attract; fairways repel.
LAW 34:
You can put "draw" on the ball, you can put "fade" on the ball, but no golfer can put "straight" on the ball.
LAW 35:
A ball you can see in the rough from 50 yards away is not yours.
LAW 36:
Don't buy a putter until you've had a chance to throw it.
__________________
jebmke is offline  
Old 07-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #5008
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Law 2 I believe.
Man, that's the hardest I've laughed in a while, because it's all true!!!

Sad but true!!

__________________
FinallyRetired is offline  
Old 07-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #5009
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 265
Painted the wicker rocking chairs that sit on my front porch. Purchased in 1987 and I decided while painting that one more year is about all I get out of them. They have held up pretty good to have been outside all this time---I don't even take them in for the winter.
__________________
FIYes is online now  
Old 07-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #5010
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Congrats! Always fun to shoot a good score on the golf course. I played pretty well this morning, but my team lost. Tough to have to pay out on your b'day. Oh well, I will wash away my sorrows with a med or two tonight at the club.
Happy Birthday!
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now  
Old 07-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #5011
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
simple girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,505
Happy Birthday Dawg!
__________________
simple girl
less stuff, more time

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline  
Old 07-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #5012
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,369
Happy Birthday, Dawg - You desereve an extra med or 2.

Yesterday I went to the Abraham Lincoln Presidential museum - amazing. Drove home on portions of US 66. Today joined the local historical society. The lady working there could have started local history.
__________________
Ronstar is online now  
Old 07-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #5013
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RonBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Yesterday I went to the Abraham Lincoln Presidential museum - amazing. Drove home on portions of US 66. Today joined the local historical society. The lady working there could have started local history.
This the one in Springfield, right? We were there a couple years ago. You are correct it is very impressive... in fact the whole complex should be on everyone's "must see" list.

Well, now that I think on it, that whole of Route 66 from St. Louis to Chicago has much be included on that list.
__________________
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline  
Old 07-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #5014
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
This the one in Springfield, right? We were there a couple years ago. You are correct it is very impressive... in fact the whole complex should be on everyone's "must see" list.

Well, now that I think on it, that whole of Route 66 from St. Louis to Chicago has much be included on that list.
Yes - the one in Springfield - combined with the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library. I have to get back Springfield to visit some sites that I missed. I need to visit New Salem, Abe's former law office, other sites referenced at the museum, and the library again.

A lot of 66 is missing between St Louis and Chicago, but the remaining parts are a lot more fun to travel than I55
__________________
Ronstar is online now  
Old 07-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #5015
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,037
Happy Birthday Dawg !
__________________
Moemg is offline  
Old 07-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #5016
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RonBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,280
Six or eight weeks ago, I read this review on Buitoni Reserva's Complete Meals for two. At the time, I thought that would be terrific for those times "on the road" when one needs pampering but just don't feel like putting forth a lot of effort.

Today, I was in Wal Mart and saw the Buitoni display in the refrigerated section. There was a surprising number of choices but I remembered "Lobster!". There it was , "Shrimp & Lobster Ravioli" for two. I picked it up -- $7.98.

Buitoni | Home

This was one of the most delicious meal I have ever eaten. I steamed some Broccolli Florets as the only side. Admittedy it would have been enhanced with Garlic Toast but I slipped a cog during preparation and we had to eat it solo.

Nutritionally? 500 Calories (16g Fat) and for the Low-Carb folks, 68g (Well, we are speaking of Ravioli here).

We do live in wonderful times... woulda thunk that a TV dinner would ever be both delicious and "good for ya"?
__________________
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline  
Old 07-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #5017
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,446
Hey, thanks for all the b'day wishes. I did have an extra med or 2 tonight. I have not had one in 10 days due to doctor meds, so I had some catching up to do.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline  
Old 07-31-2010, 12:28 AM   #5018
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
Hey, that 19th hole can cure a whole host of ills If you played well, that's all you can control. Golf is a cruel sport. Earlier this week I had a personal worst, ready to give up the game, then I get rewarded with a personal best two days later. Go figure.
Volatile just like the stock market!

I wish I could be more consistent (like a CD/GIC).
__________________
Meadbh is offline  
Old 07-31-2010, 08:17 AM   #5019
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Six or eight weeks ago, I read this review on Buitoni Reserva's Complete Meals for two. At the time, I thought that would be terrific for those times "on the road" when one needs pampering but just don't feel like putting forth a lot of effort.

Today, I was in Wal Mart and saw the Buitoni display in the refrigerated section. There was a surprising number of choices but I remembered "Lobster!". There it was , "Shrimp & Lobster Ravioli" for two. I picked it up -- $7.98.

Buitoni | Home

This was one of the most delicious meal I have ever eaten. I steamed some Broccolli Florets as the only side. Admittedy it would have been enhanced with Garlic Toast but I slipped a cog during preparation and we had to eat it solo.

Nutritionally? 500 Calories (16g Fat) and for the Low-Carb folks, 68g (Well, we are speaking of Ravioli here).

We do live in wonderful times... woulda thunk that a TV dinner would ever be both delicious and "good for ya"?

There are usually coupons for Buitoni meals on their web site . Pre lo-carb we would occasionally buy the shrimp scampi . Very good but I did add a few more shrimp .
__________________
Moemg is offline  
Old 08-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #5020
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
Poured myself a cup of coffee and went out on my patio....bad move.

My hair is getting long, so I piled it on top of my head....good move.

It's hot, so this is probably the last move I'll make today.
__________________

__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did 2008-09 Results Help You Now? Idnar7 FIRE and Money 42 10-27-2015 10:10 AM
California Munis Closed End Funds tanked today, why? Disappointed FIRE and Money 10 01-20-2008 07:15 PM
Did you retire or Did you quit GTM Life after FIRE 19 03-09-2006 02:06 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:53 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.