Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #5021
Administrator

In a sense, today we disproved the maxim, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." One of our favorite restaurants provides regular customers with every fifth lunch free and today it was our turn for a free lunch. Somehow, it tastes even better when you don't have to pay for it.

Due to some cloud cover, we are having a little break in the weather (it's ONLY in the 90's! ). It is still too hot to do much outside.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #5022
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
It reached 88F and I didn't turn on the A/C. Must be getting used to the heat.
Dumped compost; harvested a melon, a zucchini, and two large peppers.
Should have tomatoes in a day or two.
Cucumbers are suffering from drought and heat and some sort of blight.
No substantial rain in a week.
Really should do some weeding.
Made a large pot of vegetable soup.

Farmers' market tomorrow and supposed to be even hotter.
No substantial rain in a week.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #5023
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Act 1: We got a new mattress/box spring combo delivered, they took away the antique. The old one was 20+ yrs old.

Act 2: DW picked up a tabby cat, about 2yrs old from the shelter. Cool fellow, made himself right at home. The shelter said he was a stray. He'll need a bit of training to keep off the kitchen counter and dining table. At least when we are around.

Now we will need to come up with a name. See if some significant act or behavior will lend itself to a name. DW gave me the task of naming him.

Our previous cat passed away about a month ago. She struggled to walk outside, chomped on some grass, and then just fell over. Was 16 years old. DW really missed the extra company of a critter.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #5024
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Played golf this morning and played well. Drank lot's of gatorade so handled the heat pretty well. Came home and had to wait on the Comcast guy as I have been having multiple cable problems. Waited around a couple of hours as he ran new cable to my house. But didn't solve all my problems as they will have to send another guy to do some work on the main line at the street. Fun living in an old neighborhood. And to top it off, my a/c started acting up. Unit outside the house was cutting off and then back on again. Over and over. Placed a service call for tomorrow. But turned the unit off for a couple of hours and when I turned it back on, problem solved as it works fine now. Maybe I had a power surge earlier in the day that got it out of sort. Don't know, but if it continues to work well tonight I guess I will cancel service call.

Well......that's my recap of home headaches for today. Maybe a med will help.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #5025
Give me a forum ...

Visited the Class IV store at Ft. Sam Houston and stocked up on liquor, wine, and beer for a few months.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #5026
Moderator Emeritus

The heat index topped 105F today, so I didn't ventured outside much, except to water my poor tomato and cucumber plants. My computer's sound card fried, so I have to figure out what I'm gonna do to fix it. Probably get a cheap one at Best Buy tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #5027
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
My computer's sound card fried, so I have to figure out what I'm gonna do to fix it. Probably get a cheap one at Best Buy tomorrow.
Be nice if a Micro Center store was nearby. Best Buy and Cheap rarely belong in the same sentence.

Micro Center - Store Locations
Old 08-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #5028
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Be nice if a Micro Center store was nearby. Best Buy and Cheap rarely belong in the same sentence.

Micro Center - Store Locations
Unfortunately, the closest one is 3 hours away. All of our good computer stores closed in the past couple of years.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #5029
Give me a forum ...

Still on the planet

Hi everyone
Summer continues to go well. Temps have been in the 90s here in East Nowhere.
A recent trip to NH for a friend's sister's funeral and thunderstorms have kept me off the lake. The boat battery went dead. I ordered a jump pack for it, soon to arrive. I will make short order of jump starting it and recharging it at 35 mph.
I have some blossoms on my late planted Roma tomatoes and at least 10 hot Portugal peppers in my container planting. Cubanelle peppers in the 10 gal aquarium are just forming fruits. My screened in porch is serving as a wonderful hothouse environment.
My social life continues to improve. No kiss and tell...

I'll check back in periodically. Later taters...
Old 08-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #5030
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went to local Audobon center to look for early shorebird migrants. A few of the usual suspects but managed to sight 4 fledgling Grasshopper Sparrows in the adjacent grasslands.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #5031
Give me a forum ...

Took my mom to the doc this afternoon for routine check up. What a frustrating experience. First, she's 92 years old and it's tough for her to sit up in a hard chair for a long time. Well after an hour of sitting she is ready to go home. I said let's give it 10 more minutes and sure enough, she get's called. Thirty more minutes in another room and finally a nurse comes in and ask a few questions and takes her blood pressure. Doc finally comes in for the 3 minute session and she's off for blood work. So after 2 hours and 20 minutes we leave. I know doctors are important and busy, but it pisses me off that someone her age has to go through a long drawn out wait like this. It's been over a year since she has seen a doc and I had to beg her to go, but I'm sure this will end it for her. And I can't say I blame her.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #5032
Administrator

Dawg, sorry your mom had to go through that. Some people just don't understand how difficult simple things like sitting for a couple of hours can be when one is very aged. I remember some less than stellar experiences that my own mother had at that age when going to the doctor. The doctor himself was fine, but once for some reason the person accompanying her took off and the doctor's receptionist, knowing that she was alone, in her mid 90's, almost blind, and very feeble due to age, sent her downstairs to wait for her cab on the busy street, by herself. She was lucky to make it back to her facility. Soon afterwards she began seeing another doctor who made regular "house calls" at her continuous care facility, so she didn't have to go anywhere. But doctors don't make house calls to patients' homes any more these days from what I understand, so I don't think you could do the same.

Today was hot again, but a couple of degrees cooler than previous days. Just a few minutes ago I heard the rain begin - - the rain that had been threatening for a couple of days. At last! I hope this will cool things down a little.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-05-2010, 04:58 AM   #5033
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I know doctors are important and busy, but it pisses me off that someone her age has to go through a long drawn out wait like this. It's been over a year since she has seen a doc and I had to beg her to go, but I'm sure this will end it for her. And I can't say I blame her.
Yesterday, on the local news program, the "resident" Doctor addressed this very issue:

Tips To Cut Wait Times In Doctor's Office - cbs4denver.com

(Watch the video in addition to reading the article.)

Quote:
Reduce wait times on the day of the appointment by calling ahead to ask if the doctor is running on time.

"Then when you get to the office ask about the wait time and when that time passes, ask again," Hnida advised.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:45 AM   #5034

Too hot & muggy to do anything outside. DW is feeling poorly with an upset tummy so stayed inside and took it easy.

The forecast rain came. All six raindrops. The motorcycle goes in the shop tomorrow for a new front tire - 13k+ miles isn't bad!

Still finding new/neat stuff in Photoshop. Under filters/lighting there are a bunch of cool lighting options. Took a shot of the house and made a light from heaven shining down from above.

Next week we will have a four-year-old grandniece visiting for a day. DW promised to take her to the pool. Hopefully she won't be as camera-shy as DW is and the heat will abate.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #5035
Full time employment: Posting here.

Let's see here yesterday I:

Cut the grass
Took out the garbage
Cut and installed a glass in the medicine cabinet
Repaired a fence gate
Cleaned the hinges on a squeaky bedroom door
Cleaned 6 windows

Now don't go thinking I have that much energy everyday.

Today's chores:

Grocery shopping
Clean another 6 windows
Wash one car
Repair a blind chain pull
Clean the BBQ.

I better get to er.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #5036
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Purchased a new central AC system (heat pump) yesterday to replace the 13 year-old Trane system that went belly up. Installation is scheduled for today. Congratulated DW and myself on our very wise decision to convert the screened porch to a playroom/second den for the grandkids a few years ago, especially for including a separate AC unit.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 08-05-2010, 07:26 AM   #5037
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Yesterday, on the local news program, the "resident" Doctor addressed this very issue:

Tips To Cut Wait Times In Doctor's Office - cbs4denver.com

(Watch the video in addition to reading the article.)
Ha! Average wait time 24 minutes? If I ever got in to see a doctor in that short of time, I would be ecstatic. But I will call next time to see if the doc is running behind or not. That is a good tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Purchased a new central AC system (heat pump) yesterday to replace the 13 year-old Trane system that went belly up. Installation is scheduled for today
Boy, they don't make them like they used to anymore. When I sold my first house, the unit was 20 years old and still running. I ran into the guy that bought my house several years later and he said it was still running. It was a Heil brand.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #5038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Boy, they don't make them like they used to anymore. When I sold my first house, the unit was 20 years old and still running. I ran into the guy that bought my house several years later and he said it was still running. It was a Heil brand.
I had the same thoughts, then did some research to find that heat pumps usually don't last as long as a central AC with a gas furnace. That makes sense as the compressor runs both winter and summer. Still, I was expecting a minimum of 15 years and was very disappointed the system died so soon.

I did not replace it with another Trane system...

Old 08-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #5039
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
... was very disappointed the system died so soon.

I did not replace it with another Trane system...
And that it did so with such lousy timimg must have put you in the right mood to make that an easy decision.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #5040

Yep. I didn't agonize for a split second...

Closed Thread