Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #5141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
All this fuss over bed-head....

Doesn't everybody have one?

Yes, we do! And yours looks a lot better than mine does!

Tonight is my dance performance during intermission at the roller derby game. We all dress up in funky outfits and such. In fact I just painted my nails black...first time I've ever done that in my life! LOL

This is my first performance in front of a crowd since I was 17. I'm almost sick to my stomach I am so nervous! Hopefully I don't fall down on my face!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #5142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Tonight is my dance performance during intermission at the roller derby game. We all dress up in funky outfits and such. In fact I just painted my nails black...first time I've ever done that in my life! LOL

This is my first performance in front of a crowd since I was 17. I'm almost sick to my stomach I am so nervous! Hopefully I don't fall down on my face!
Ahhhh...c'mon, you're gonna do great!

What's your derby name gonna be?

Old 08-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #5143

Quote:
Ahhhh...c'mon, you're gonna do great!

What's your derby name gonna be?
Thank you!

About to head out in a few minutes...woo-hoo!
I went with Sugah Slamma...I've been transformed into a punk rock chick, even wearing black nail polish!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 08-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #5144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, we do! And yours looks a lot better than mine does!

Good luck! Treat it like Halloween where you can costume anyway you want to.
Can you provide pictures maybe?
Old 08-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #5145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I went with Sugah Slamma...I've been transformed into a punk rock chick, even wearing black nail polish!
You GO Sugah Slamma!

If you find yourself getting a bit nervous; look at those nails, remember your 'name', think about my boots and strut your stuff.

It's all in the 'tude......knock 'em dead....
Old 08-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #5146
Give me a forum ...

See this thread:
Which car ?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #5147

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Good luck! Treat it like Halloween where you can costume anyway you want to.
Can you provide pictures maybe?
Quote:
You GO Sugah Slamma!

If you find yourself getting a bit nervous; look at those nails, remember your 'name', think about my boots and strut your stuff.

It's all in the 'tude......knock 'em dead....

OMG, I had SO much fun! What a blast to take on another personna! I actually WILL post some pics! First the black nail polish (note the skull ring) and then the back of our dance t's we had made up. This was so fun...even though I was super nervous, the whole performance went off great. I didn't end up flat on my face, so it was a success!

Old 08-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #5148
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
The clutch safety switches are generally designed to inhibit the starter only, to keep car/truck runaway from happening, not ignition. Should be able to roll-start.
Good thought. I'm going to have to experiment again. I thought I'd tried this a number of years ago and not been able to start it.

The idea of my nephew & me pushing the car around the parking lot while his GF worked the clutch... not fun.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #5149
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Went biking around False Creek with DW. First time for her since the seawalk was completed for the Olympics last winter. Stopped for lunch at the Dockside waterfront patio (she needs a reward) and then tried some of the new bike lanes in town. Great day!

Came home and our patio was too hot. So sat inside in front of a fan.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Good thought. I'm going to have to experiment again. I thought I'd tried this a number of years ago and not been able to start it.

The idea of my nephew & me pushing the car around the parking lot while his GF worked the clutch... not fun.
Hill?
Old 08-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #5151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OMG, I had SO much fun! What a blast to take on another personna! I actually WILL post some pics! First the black nail polish (note the skull ring) and then the back of our dance t's we had made up. This was so fun...even though I was super nervous, the whole performance went off great. I didn't end up flat on my face, so it was a success!
Ahhh...I just KNEW you would do a wonderful job and have fun! I imagine the fellows on this forum enjoy the pics but would love to see the video. .....
Old 08-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #5152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

What fun ! I want to be your age again for a week or two !
Old 08-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #5153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
What fun ! I want to be your age again for a week or two !
You know, when I was getting all nervous about performing I thought to myself..."geesh, the opportunity to shake it in front of a crowd at my age is pretty rare...you better just enjoy the moment girl!" So I did! (and I little drink beforehand didn't hurt either...)

I don't know how much longer I can dance like this, but I'm trying to enjoy every minute as much as possible!

Old 08-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #5154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank you!

Could you post a video of the performance? It would be fun to see!

Ha
Old 08-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #5155

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Could you post a video of the performance? It would be fun to see!

Ha

Here are two snippets of the performance...the music isn't very loud (we tried to get them to turn it up...). There were about 900 people at the event, but you can't tell the size of the crowd from the videos.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #5156
Give me a forum ...

We have a superstar on this forum by the name of Sugah Slamma!

Lessee...what did I do today. I ran numerous errands for DH as his is leaving on his trip on Wednesday. His partner in crime will be here tomorrow afternoon.

Methinks I'll be invisible tomorrow except at suppertime..
Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #5157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here are two snippets of the performance...the music isn't very loud (we tried to get them to turn it up...). There were about 900 people at the event, but you can't tell the size of the crowd from the videos.
Thanks Sugah Slamma, you all are great! Nice sassy routine, what with bumps and fanny slaps and all... Pretty demanding too!

Ha
Old 08-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #5158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
We just got back from an invite to do a tour of Wrigley Field complements of Fidelity. It was a really great time, I was able to bring the family and my son,11, really, really enjoyed it. They had all you can eat ballpark food and drinks (alcohol included). You could field pop flys in left field, hit in the batting cage, played an informal 16" and 12" softball home run contest. It also included a tour of the things you can't normally do, press box, both locker rooms and both dugouts. Free bags of goodies too, cubs hat, baseball, pencils,paper. Ron Santo was also present to take pictures with and we all got our baseballs signed. My son was happier doing this than going to a baseball game...and he loves baseball! I can tell you my body is aching from playing softball, haven't done this on a regular basis for about 10 years now. I think the heat index was hovering in the mid 90's with stifling humidity at night time.
My daughter and I just got back yesterday from Chicago after spending a VERY HOT AND HUMID few days there. We had a blast. Spent most of Sunday at the Air and Water Show. Watched Sunday's opening from the Hancock building's 94th floor observatory then went down and joined the crowd...and what a crowd!

I've had my city fix for awhile, but I really want to go back, maybe by train the next time.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #5159
Give me a forum ...

I've been pretty busy today.

Today's highlight was my dental appointment. Uhhh, not the cleaning and x-rays, but the flavor of the goo they use when they polish my teeth. They now have chocolate flavored goo.

I was a rebel and tried it...it tasted pretty darn good.

I asked if they thought bacon flavored goo would be available at some point...I got a blank stare.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #5160
Moderator Emeritus

Lemme catch up. It's been a busy houseguest weekend.

Saturday:
- Surfing all morning. My nephew the Army Ranger and his girlfriend (an Army field medical asst) confirmed that they're both goofy-footed. He's standing up on almost every ride, she's starting to carve.
- Home show at the convention center all afternoon. Photovoltaic microinverters are really starting to take off, which means that 3000-watt inverter prices should be crashing down any day now. Spouse is starting to get interested in building that PV-roofed pergola sooner rather than later. We also noted that for the first time in five years, a huge number of construction companies are now very interested in remodeling our familyroom (after our bunny goes to his great reward). But both projects are still probably 3-4 years away. At the display of a window-supply store we met a neighbor who's been laid off for several months-- he now has a good sales job with them.
- Evening stroll through Waikiki's International Marketplace (Hawaiian for "kitsch" and "schlock") and dinner.

Sunday:
- Morning grocery shopping (food goes very fast with houseguests).
- Afternoon polo at Mokuleia, where rumor is that there were actually two separate matches. I'm not sure what teams were playing (I think the scores were 3-2 & 7-5) but there sure was a lot of drinking & talk story and much fascinating people-watching. Between games, Dillingham Airfield's sport jumpers put on a spectacular show of diving toward the ground as fast as possible and then pulling out at the last moment. (Good thing they were using parachutes, although a couple of jumpers must be pretty bruised up.) After the polo matches, for a $2500 prize, the jumpers competed for best freestyle jump. The winner swooped down to the field to land on the bed of a pickup truck that was racing across the turf at about 20 MPH. Timing was of the essence... but for just $2500?!?
- The polo match was originally scheduled to be Army vs Navy, so many of our houseguest's classmates had made long-term plans to attend. There were a dozen or so junior officers milling around in a mini mutual therapy bitch session reunion with slabs of BBQ and gallons of frosty beverages. We left around 6 PM but the post-polo parties were just building up a head of steam.

Monday: My nephew and his GF spent the day at Hanauma Bay, Sandy's, and a Waikiki luau. Us geezers took it easy catching up around the house.

Tuesday: Surfing all morning. Now both of them are carving. It occurs to me that the next time they visit the islands it'll be cheaper to buy a couple of 10'0" longboards from Craigslist instead of renting from the surf shack. Errands and final Hawaii-gift shopping that afternoon.

Today is their last day. South shore is 3-5 building to eight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Hill?
Waimea Valley's parking lot was disgustingly flat and full of cars.

But I'll test a roll-start some quiet weekday morning when the neighborhood isn't full of traffic.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Closed Thread