Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #5261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I wonder if the landscaping people will show up today.
I think the odds are good your landscapers will show up the same day as the electrician and the carpet layers...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #5262
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think the odds are good your landscapers will show up the same day as the electrician and the carpet layers...
That's what I figured. But then again, my lawn guy comes to mow on Wednesdays, so I figure there's at least a slight chance that the landscaping people will cut down that tree and have it lying across the lawn when he gets here...

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #5263
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Didn't sleep well last night...probably because I knew I had an appt with my doc early this a.m. Went to my appt and my blood pressure was 100/58. It's never been that low. I only got poked one time for a blood sample....usually it takes them 3 or 4 tries.

....also, it's drizzlin' rain and the temp is 72 degrees.

The end is nigh. I need some chocolate.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #5264
Moderator Emeritus

I had no trouble selling a 27 inch CRT on craigslist before we moved for a nominal amount. Maybe 20 bucks? Can't recall for sure. I got a number of calls on it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 08-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #5265
Recycles dryer sheets

I just got back from two Mini vacations to visit friends. The first was 4 days in Cleveland in which I played golf twice at my friends club. He took me out to two excellent restaurants for dinner and an outdoor concert with the Cleveland orchestra. The next vacation was to friends that have a summer home in Montreal. I was there for six days. They live in the historic area and I did a lot of walking averaging 7 miles a day. Again we ate at some excellent restaurants (Pied de Cochon and Kitchen Gallery de Poisson). Green Day performed a concert and we listened for free just outside the gate. I would recommend Montreal as a vacation spot. A very safe city with the feel of Europe and the friendliness of the US.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
Old 08-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #5266
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I only got poked one time...
Sorry to hear that ...

BTW - I did the same (gave blood, as I always do evey eight weeks).
Old 08-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #5267
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Sorry to hear that ...

Well I would reply in my usual naughty way, but since my bp is low I don't have a lot of energy and could just faint dead away....

Mmmm, hmmmm...but I will muster up one of these --->
Old 08-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #5268
Moderator Emeritus

Still cramming over 200 pages of 6"x9" manuscript into a 64-page 4"x5" pocket guide. I'm down to just 93 pages.

Writing? Easy. Editing? Not so much.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #5269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Still cramming over 200 pages of 6"x9" manuscript into a 64-page 4"x5" pocket guide. I'm down to just 93 pages.
How small is the font size?

Old 08-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #5270
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
How small is the font size?
12-point titles and eight-point text. Lots of this, this, and this too.

It's not all content. Some of it's the table of contents and the chapter checklists. A couple pages are advertising & order forms. I guess my contribution is really only about 55 pages.

I trust the publisher's instincts (and most especially his sales record) but I don't see (so to speak) these pocket guides being a big hit with the presbyopian crowd. ("Free pocket magnifier with every copy!!") Ideally the pocket guides are just a gateway drug (with a high profit margin) to the main manuscript, but their bulk sales are impressive.

Of course to optimize those sales I need to avoid snarky comments about DoD, the transition assistance programs, and the veteran's benefits bureaucracy. Like I said, tough editing.

I'm probably overdoing the daily effort, too, in an effort to stay ahead of the editor. Last week's update said "We should have the editing done within the next two weeks. This may go faster than anticipated." (Thanks again to all you contributors, reviewers, and proofreaders in the social group!) Luckily this week's surf sucks.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #5271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Of course to optimize those sales I need to avoid snarky comments about DoD, the transition assistance programs, and the veteran's benefits bureaucracy. Like I said, tough editing.
Oh boy - selling out to the establishment. I thought better of you...

Old 08-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #5272
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Oh boy - selling out to the establishment. I thought better of you...
Ahem, I we here at The Military Guide Galactic HQ prefer to conceptualize it as "shameless & flagrant manipulation flattery of the authority structure's philanthropic instincts". One way or another they'll end up supporting veterans.

The psychology is sort of like Ted Turner's old peer fundraising pitch of "C'mon, you pathetic losers, it's for charity!!"

There will be an entire blog & website full of "material that our lawyers wouldn't let us send to the printers"...

Old 08-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #5273
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I did purchase a CRV EX and I got what I think is a really good deal . After talking to a few Honda places I Knew what price to aim for . Plus I ordered the Invoice so I was armed with info . I am now the proud owner of a Honda CRV . I hope it will be as trouble free as my Solara was.
My friend just bought one of these. He loves it, and it is not his first one either.

Ha
Old 08-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #5274
Give me a forum ...

DW and I celebrated our 31st anniversary today. No big activities, just a nice day appreciating each other (and a good seafood dinner).
Old 08-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #5275

Yesterday DW was off on an emergency baby-sitting run so I had the place to myself. I was going to take the bike and GPS and just follow some road 'til I got lost but the weather looked iffy.

So I stayed home and read online most of the day about color calibration for digital photography, monitor calibration, and printer calibration. It can get pretty deep, but it's interesting.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #5276
Administrator

Woo-hoo!! Today the landscaping/tree-removal team surprised me and came while I was out. They cut down, removed, and ground away the stump of an ornamental tree among my front foundation plantings. This tree had been cute and about 6' high when I bought the house (see 2002 photo below), but had decidedly greater ambitions and ended up 25 feet high with a 8-10" trunk and suddenly growing faster. They also removed the inconvenient large, woody bush just to the left of it, cut back the rest of my front bushes and the jasmine vines all along my side fence, and completely cleared out some neglected flowerbeds in the back yard.

I couldn't be happier! Now all I have to do is cough up the $850. That is a low price for such work here, so it won't hurt TOO badly.

Between this and the Salvation Army taking half my furniture yesterday, I feel like I am making some visible, huge progress. Less visible have been our efforts to drive around and price boxes and determine how many we need, and moving some furniture that had to be moved (with Frank's help).

There still is a LOT to do and we have no intention of "knocking ourselves out" at our age, so this will take a while. Still, it is progress and making some progress towards our goal is very encouraging. He is making equal progress with his house. I am keeping up with the Gantt chart more or less (ahead in some "critical path" tasks, behind in other tasks that are not on the critical path). It is really helping.

I have been SO settled in at this house - - this is already my 9th year in my home. I can hardly imagine how much harder this would be had we been here 20, 30, or 40 years.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #5277

Wow, I am impressed. You've gone from "One of these days I'm going to get started" to "Watch my dust" seemingly overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Less visible has been our efforts to drive around and price boxes...
Have you checked Sam's Club? They have boxes in their stores plus entire moving "packages" available online: Moving Boxes

Old 08-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #5278
Administrator

Quote:
Wow, I am impressed. You've gone from "One of these days I'm going to get started" to "Watch my dust" seemingly overnight.
Well, like I said this won't happen overnight (we're too old for that) but hopefully before the end of the year. A lot had to do with giving up on the housing market recovering any time soon. Frank decided finally that he was ready to do this, and I am more than ready to move with him. Now if he changes his mind, my efforts will screech to a halt but he assures me that he will not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Have you checked Sam's Club? They have boxes in their stores plus entire moving "packages" available online: Moving Boxes

Thanks!!! Good idea and one that I hadn't considered. We went to U-Haul and they seemed a little pricey, but we brought home price sheets and started tallying how many of each size we might need (easier said than done). Neither of us belongs to Sam's Club any more, but it's still worth looking into.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #5279
Give me a forum ...

I got my results back from the blood work I had done yesterday. All numbers were good except my thyroid has taken a nose dive and my med has to be doubled. No wonder I've been so tired.

...but I can look at it this way....at least I don't have to blame my lounging on being lazy.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #5280
Give me a forum ...

Ahhhh the joys of home ownership. Missed golf today as I had to wait around on a guy to come and install a new gas hot water heater. Old one played out. It was probably 40 years old or so. Just don't make them like they used to. But $460 later, I have hot showers once again.

Closed Thread