Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 03:12 AM   #5281

Went to Tall Ships Chicago. Saw several sailing vessels.

Sailed on the Red Witch

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2010, 06:34 AM   #5282
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am seriously starting my plan to make this my last winter in East Nowhere. I've stuck it out for 6 years since my husband passed, and it is time to move away from this culturally desolate area.
I will devote most of my time to fixing some minor cosmetic problems around the house. The house is just too big for 1 person. I have 2 dogs, so moving them into an apartment setting is not an option. I will start looking in the Finger Lakes area for a house to rent, definitely near a college town. There are so many choices.

No rash moves. It is wonderful to have a goal again. I feel confident and strong again.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:35 AM   #5283
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Ahhhh the joys of home ownership...
Tell me about it...

Just had the roof leaks and the ceilings in 4 rooms repaired last month. Then, the monsoon season came, and we had a brief but torrential rain earlier in the week.

Two days ago, went upstairs to replace the AC filter. Saw a spanking new stain spot on that pristine ceiling in the hall.

Looks to me the roofers in fixing existing leaks in the tile roof managed to put in a new leak where one did not exist before! Good thing they had a screw up in the paper work and sent one of the bills to me late, and I have not paid the last bill for more than 4 grands.

I will make them "fix" it again, but with this delay, when will I be able to take off with my RV now? Sigh...

PS. Just last month, put in a new water heater myself. Last week, repaired the garage opener myself. Also last week, fixed the pool plumbing leak myself.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #5284
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I will make them "fix" it again, but with this delay, when will I be able to take off with my RV now? Sigh...
Maybe you should give up and spend a couple of nights in a tent...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 08-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #5285
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Went to Tall Ships Chicago. Saw several sailing vessels.

Sailed on the Red Witch

Certainly more fun than I had. Pretty day there.

Quote:
Tell me about it...

PS. Just last month, put in a new water heater myself. Last week, repaired the garage opener myself. Also last week, fixed the pool plumbing leak myself.
I sort of did. I made the phone call to the handy man I know.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:24 AM   #5286
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Maybe you should give up and spend a couple of nights in a tent...
Eh? How's the roof leak in your Dutch Star?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #5287
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
...but I can look at it this way....at least I don't have to blame my lounging on being lazy.

I'd buy that for a nickel.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #5288
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have done nothing yet except sip coffee. Beautiful weather here so I took the day off from w*rk to do a little biking later on the Youghiogheny River Trail. My son is visiting so we thought this would be a nice relaxing way to spend the day together. He is happy to have a reprieve from doing deferred maintenance around the house for me.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #5289
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Think fall is coming, this morning the temp was 47F. Put on long pants for my morning walk. A cool walk was very pleasant.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #5290

Quote:
Eh? How's the roof leak in your Dutch Star?
Repaired.

Turned out after I sealed, resealed, then sealed the roof and side seams again it still leaked. After I'd exhausted every other option, the only thing left was replacing the bedroom slide gasket - that did the trick.

I should have realized the leak wasn't coming from the roof since there was no damage or delamination to the ceiling or wall. The only damage was to a five or six inch area of the floor where it meets the wall next to the slide. When I removed the old gasket I saw a small 1/2" area at the top center of the gasket where water coming off the roof was seeping behind the gasket seal, flowing inside the gasket down to the bottom of the slide opening. The water flow was not visible from the inside or outside of the RV which is why I could never figure out where it was coming from.

But the leak never kept me at home...

Old 08-27-2010, 10:17 AM   #5291
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Repaired.
Glad to hear that the root cause was found. Leaks can be maddening, whether in your RV or home.
Quote:
But the leak never kept me at home...
Well, it's because you took the leak with you on the trips. Duh! It's not the case here. Someone needs to be here when the repair is done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Think fall is coming, this morning the temp was 47F. Put on long pants for my morning walk. A cool walk was very pleasant.
By the time I can take my RV trip, I will be freezin' my butts off up North in the "wilderness". So much for the boondocking plan. And I do not want to go South.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #5292
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am keeping up with the Gantt chart
Vi vant to see the Gantt chart.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #5293

Quote:
And I do not want to go South.
I don't either - but at some point you have to face the inevitability of time...

Old 08-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #5294
Give me a forum ...

Old 08-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #5295
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
I'd buy that for a nickel.
Man...this is a frugal bunch.

I've been busy today as the boyz are cuttin' their trip short and should be home by tomorrow or Sunday.

I need them to feel sorry for me as I've been w*rking so hard....
Old 08-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #5296
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am seriously starting my plan to make this my last winter in East Nowhere. I've stuck it out for 6 years since my husband passed, and it is time to move away from this culturally desolate area.
I will devote most of my time to fixing some minor cosmetic problems around the house. The house is just too big for 1 person. I have 2 dogs, so moving them into an apartment setting is not an option. I will start looking in the Finger Lakes area for a house to rent, definitely near a college town. There are so many choices.

No rash moves. It is wonderful to have a goal again. I feel confident and strong again.
This sounds like a wonderful and positive move forward at this point in your life. Congratulations on your decision to get started in the implementation of your plans.

Moving is a lot of work. If you get bogged down, I recommend a Gantt chart. Oh well. It is working for me, at the moment, anyway. And no, T-Al, you can't see it! Eeet eees Top Secret material!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #5297
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Homemade chicken noodle soup (with almost all local ingedients) for breakfast.

Renewed my driver's license. Very short line at 10AM .
Laundromat (in same strip mall) to wash comforter.
Dropped off 4 bags of clothes at St Francis thrift store (also at said mall).
Bought 2 beer mugs (at thrift store) in which to serve beer to friend.

On way back home got caught in AFB lunch traffic; it evoked no nostalgia.

Slightly juicy salad for lunch.

Have 4 bags of trash ready for Monday.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #5298
Moderator Emeritus

About all we did today was roll the green waste cans out to the curb for pickup.

Oh, and I plan to eat pizza later.

Quote:
Repaired.
Turned out after I sealed, resealed, then sealed the roof and side seams again it still leaked. After I'd exhausted every other option, the only thing left was replacing the bedroom slide gasket - that did the trick.
Man, what a relief it must be to have that behind you.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #5299
Administrator

I went through more belongings and threw out a couple of trashbags full, assembled enough donations for a 2-3 more trips to Good Will, and packed a few boxes. By that time it was pouring rain with flood warnings due to 3"-8" of rain that had fallen in our area. Finally it slackened enough that he could take me to lunch.

We discussed our plans for the actual move, how we would do it, and some housing options up there. We are feeling more optimistic and encouraged. Eventually I came back to my house, to find my new 3rd generation Kindle waiting on the doorstep. I gave my 2nd generation Kindle to Frank, who is getting a big kick out of it. Simple pleasures. Then more packing and tossing out. How does a person unknowingly end up with so much stuff?

Another day in a life.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #5300
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Eventually I came back to my house, to find my new 3rd generation Kindle waiting on the doorstep.
How does a person unknowingly end up with so much stuff?
I'm seeing a correlation here, but perhaps it's premature to state that it's causation...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Closed Thread