Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 04:35 PM   #5341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Being 19 stories in the air added to the excitement.
Yep - especially for anyone on the sidewalk below, eh?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #5342
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
The wind had started to blow down a wooden fence between our patio and the one next door. I reinforced it with two 2x4s and extra long screws. Being 19 stories in the air added to the excitement.

Painting will wait until the sun returns. 12 degrees Celsius today!
I know some people are courageous and utterly nonchalant about teetering over staggering, perilous heights. As for me, I would never even venture out onto your patio, much less repair a fence out there! Were I in your position, I would now call a high-rise fence painter instead of taking any further risks. But then, I admit that I am a chicken. Cluck cluck.

You will probably find a lot of people just like me living on the first or second floor of your high rise.

The door that I painted this morning looks pretty good now that the paint has dried. Good enough, anyway. Frank stayed up all night catching up with me in packing, and now he has packed more than I have. He cleared out everything from one of his bedrooms except for the furniture (which Good Will is going to take tomorrow).

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #5343
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
OK, I give up.
On my way to goggle.
What tha **** does a bat house look like.
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
I have a couple similar to this. Bats are your friends.

Amazon.com: Stovall 8H Single Cell Bat House: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Look very closely at the photo of my storage building. Under the roof edge sloping left and right are 2 square bathouses. The smaller one on the right side of the photo is designed for adults. The larger one on the left is designed for breeding. I get more guano droppings from the one on the right side.
I got the plans for making both types from the NYS DEC (Dept of Environmental Conservation) website. I had a lot of fun making them from scrap wood laying around the garage. The insides are lined with metal screen to give my little friends something to grab onto.
On a hot day, if I walk up underneath and off to the side VERY quietly, I can see them.
I have swampy land in the back 50 feet of my property. These bats take care of a lot of bugs for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BatHousesCrop.jpg (67.9 KB, 174 views)
Old 08-31-2010, 07:25 PM   #5344
Give me a forum ...

I dressed up today. Miniskirt, stockings, pumps, makeup, perfume, earrings...the whole enchilada.
Sorry I had to crop the photo. Um...something was showing.

Just for fun, yesterday I used a non-permanent hair color (auburn) on my jet black hair. This is the first time I ever colored my hair. It will wash out after 25 or so washes.

The little bit of grey I had turned out a beautiful "regular" auburn color. The still black hair took on a really neat deep auburn tone. It looked really cool in the bright sun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DressUpDay.jpg (211.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-31-2010, 08:24 PM   #5345
Administrator

Nice photo, Freebird!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-31-2010, 08:29 PM   #5346
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I dressed up today. Miniskirt, stockings, pumps, makeup, perfume, earrings...the whole enchilada.
Sorry I had to crop the photo. Um...something was showing.

Just for fun, yesterday I used a non-permanent hair color (auburn) on my jet black hair. This is the first time I ever colored my hair. It will wash out after 25 or so washes.

The little bit of grey I had turned out a beautiful "regular" auburn color. The still black hair took on a really neat deep auburn tone. It looked really cool in the bright sun.

Nice Pic ! Does this sudden dress up have to do with the secret Bostonian ?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:35 PM   #5347
Moderator Emeritus

Freebird, you look gorgeous!!! What was the occasion--just in the mood to wear a corsage?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:48 PM   #5348
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Nice Pic ! Does this sudden dress up have to do with the secret Bostonian ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Freebird, you look gorgeous!!! What was the occasion--just in the mood to wear a corsage?
Well thank you. I can be a lady sometimes when I'm not getting my hands greasy on small engines. I look just like my Mom in that photo.

Yes, there is a connection between the secret Bostonian and the corsage.
It was HIS birthday today, and just for fun, I bought him the boutonnier on the way to meet him for lunch.
He loved the thought, smiled...he had never had a lady give him a flower before.
THEN he turned bright red, and then said "I ain't gonna wear that".
Now of course I knew he would not wear it, so I picked one that color coordinated with my outfit. No dummy here.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:53 PM   #5349
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Nice photo, Freebird!
Oops, I missed Multiquoting your post. TY for the compliment
Old 08-31-2010, 10:58 PM   #5350
Give me a forum ...

Lovely pic freebird! ....you're wearing a miniskirt? Woo hoo...you GO girl....
Old 08-31-2010, 11:13 PM   #5351
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I would make a terrible witness. I never saw the corsage, just the blue dress. Had to go back and verify it was really there.

Ok, ok that was a joke, I know it was a green dress

Today, DW and I went for a drive. With the kids in school we finally went on one of our weekday adventures as we call them. No big deal, just a drive from Topaz Lake over Highway 89 to Markleeville, CA. Bee-utiful. We check out a campground that won't accommodate out trailer and Grover's Hot Springs, though we didn't swim. Just check prices, hours, etc. We voed to go back and swim when the weather gets cooler and eat lunch in Markleeville (couldn't today, DW is on the HCG diet). We plan to do things like this once a week. Get out, enjoy life, you know?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:29 PM   #5352
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Look very closely at the photo of my storage building. Under the roof edge sloping left and right are 2 square bathouses. The smaller one on the right side of the photo is designed for adults. The larger one on the left is designed for breeding. I get more guano droppings from the one on the right side.
I got the plans for making both types from the NYS DEC (Dept of Environmental Conservation) website. I had a lot of fun making them from scrap wood laying around the garage. The insides are lined with metal screen to give my little friends something to grab onto.
On a hot day, if I walk up underneath and off to the side VERY quietly, I can see them.
I have swampy land in the back 50 feet of my property. These bats take care of a lot of bugs for me.
Nice pix. Between the bats and the swallows, a lot of the bugs get scooped up around our house. We have a tidal marsh (Chesapeake) off the back yard so there is always a crew of bats and swallows working the area. Cuts down on how often the county has to spray for mosquitoes.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #5353
Administrator

Finished painting!! Well, all that was left was the baseboard, but there is something to be said for being done at long last. I even did the touch-up work. My back is killing me. Now, time for that first cup of coffee.

Yes, REWahoo.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #5354
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Think fall is coming, this morning the temp was 47F. Put on long pants for my morning walk. A cool walk was very pleasant.

Wow! I did not know that Pittsburgh can be that much cooler than Wash DC suburbs. They said we will see mid 90s today! Enjoy your cool weather!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #5355
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Farmers' Market, grocery store, hardware store.
Bought people food and critter food.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #5356
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
Wow! I did not know that Pittsburgh can be that much cooler than Wash DC suburbs. They said we will see mid 90s today! Enjoy your cool weather!
We are in the Laurel Highlands, 'bout 60 miles from the 'burgh, it runs a little hotter there.

That was a mild anomaly for a few days, morning temps now run in the mid 50s. Today may get a as high as 88 here for an hour or so.

A joy, compared to Baltimore suburbs where I spent 15 years. DW's daughter spent the weekend with us. On her trips to us she always comments on the pleasant weather and the ability to breathe clean air.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #5357
Give me a forum ...

So far today I've taken a shower, then took a bit of a bath...with my investments that is... I always update my spreadsheet the last day of each month. Perhaps I should have waited until the end of today as the market is up...
Old 09-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #5358
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Finished painting!! Well, all that was left was the baseboard, but there is something to be said for being done at long last. I even did the touch-up work. My back is killing me. Now, time for that first cup of coffee.

Yes, REWahoo.
The plumber just fixed the broken gas line going to my front door gas lamp.

(Every strong hurricane seems to re-break it so in disgust I shut off the gas going there after H. Gustav.)

Anyway, now my gas lamp is working again.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #5359
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

W2R is on a roll! When are you interviewing real estate agents?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 09-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #5360
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
W2R is on a roll! When are you interviewing real estate agents?
I have a good real estate agent, who sold me the house. So, I plan to ask him to sell it for me. The Gantt chart says it will be a few weeks.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread