Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I walked down to Lake Washington. Briefly considered a quick dip, just for the bragging rights, but decided not to.

Stopped on my way home at Trader Joe's and stocked up on kefir and cream and stuff.

I was pretty tired by the time I got home, up and down hills in the snow is tiring. Finished the day seeing the Seahawks win Holmgren's final game and eating some chili in my warm apartment.

It will be an early bedtime for me tonight.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #522
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Donned several pounds of winter clothing and ventured out to fill the bird feeder.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #523
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Donned several pounds of winter clothing and ventured out to fill the bird feeder.
Same here....my only trip outdoors today! The high was 0 with 20-30 mph winds.....dang it was cold out there!!!

Oh, and while I was out, I also swept the dusting of snow off the front porch...ain't messing with the rest of the walks or driveway 'til it warms up!
Old 12-22-2008, 12:16 AM   #524
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went to the spa to work for a few hours....sold some gift certificates, made some gift bags, and sang to christmas music
Came home, had dinner, relaxed, need to study for my pathology exam.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:32 AM   #525

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Can you put up a picture of your sawmill? My grandfather had a mill with a huge circular saw run by a steam engine fueled by bark and scraps. As kids we had tremendous fun diving out onto the sawdust pile. Those things look tricky to operate though. I guess modern ones are better.

If you like, give a little discussion of how the pole is advanced into and through the blade, and how it is controlled.

Ha
Here's a link to a video of the sawmill that I have, you'll probably be disappointed as this is a small bandsaw mill rather than the big, circular blade mills you're talking about! They still make a lot of sawdust though but less with a bandmill because of the thinner blade.

Wood-Mizer Portable Sawmills - LT15 Manual In Action

What the video doesn't show is the work involved with moving logs between cuts- I have tractor to get the log on the bed of the mill, then it's force and leverage to roll the log as you make each cut. Then there's the work involved with stacking and sorting the green, fresh sawn lumber so it can dry before use- usually takes about a year to dry enough to use for furniture and needs to be kept dry with good air circulation. Amazing how heavy a piece of freshly cut oak can be when it's full of water.

If you didn't watch the video, basic idea is that the log is loaded on to the bed of the mill and then the bandsaw & blade itself is mounted on a moving head. The head can be shifted up and down and is positioned where you want the cut, then using a rope/cranking system, the head is moved through the log to make the cut, reposition the log or the mill head, and go again.

I have various stacks around at given points in the drying cycle. I also built a small solar kiln a few years back that I can dry a load of lumber in about 30 days when it's hot- this works well and the temperature gets nearly to 140 degrees in that kiln, has a couple of solar powered attic fans mounted inside to circulate air through the log stack.

Here's a shot of my mill:

Here's a log after 3 cuts where I'm ready to start cutting off usable lumber. The slabs and scrap I cut are perfect for firewood, I leave it near the mill and my neighbors come and take it home- I don't have a wood burning fireplace but use some in an outdoor firepit. Nice thing about the slabs is they don't have to be split, just cut to length.

Here's a shot of the solar kiln, nothing fancy, just an insulated box with plastic panels on top facing south but it works! It's on large timbers so I can move it with the tractor to get the best sun position, I do get some interesting questions from people passing by as to what this black box is for! Wood is stacked on a pallet and loaded from the rear with a tractor.

Finally, just to show that I don't just saw logs, but use them, here is a picture of a barn we built for equipment at the framing stage, all the wood used was cut from trees either from my yard or from neighbors- there were still quite a few usable trees laying in large piles near by from when houses were built over the last 5 years- logs that were cleared for the houses and their septic fields so this was a great source of free logs! We ended up buying some green poplar for the siding but otherwise, all oak beams in the barn, some beautiful wood that I hated to used for framing but I have more.

Last picture is a wine cabinet that I made for our dining room with some wood from the yard, it was a lot of fun to make and functional.

Thanks for looking if you got this far! If any woodworker in Northern Virginia needs some oak, let me know.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #526
Give me a forum ...

Very interesting Dave. I like seeing what you have been able to do. You feed the saw into the log, not the other way.

Ha
Old 12-22-2008, 01:25 PM   #527
Give me a forum ...

wrapped xmas presents
listened to classical music on public radio
watched the snow fall and fall and fall and fall and fall...
LiveDoppler 9 Loop - NewsChannel 9 WSYR
had trouble deciding on what to make for dinner, still pondering...
Old 12-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #528
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
had trouble deciding on what to make for dinner, still pondering...
A chunk of good meat marinated in Jack Daniels, of course, along with a blooming onion........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 12-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #529
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
A chunk of good meat marinated in Jack Daniels, of course, along with a blooming onion........
sounds great, but the nearest Outback is 25 miles away.
Look at my weather link. http://www.9wsyr.com/content/weather/livedoppler9.aspx
The ol' lake effect machine is cranked right up.
Pepperoni pizza on a Boboli might win. I am majorly lazy today.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #530
Give me a forum ...

Christmas shopping......

The head ache of Christmas shopping is over stated. I knocked all mine out this morning in roughly an hour. Of course I don't put a lot of thought in it so that takes the pressure off. Kirkland's is a great place to get some interesting ideas. For example....my niece is a senior at the Univ of Alabama so I got her a statue of an elephant.(AL mascot) I don't have a clue what she will use it for but she will like it. One of my nephews runs a BBQ restaurant and will be opening up another soon, so I got him a big coffee cup with a chalk board on one side of it to list the price of a cup of coffee. Now he may not even serve coffee but a neat looking item for his restaurant. Am I good or what?

BTW, I was expecting a ton of last minute shoppers but did not find many there. Lot's of good bargains to be had.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:00 PM   #531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
The head ache of Christmas shopping is over stated.
That's because you already had a bad headache from banging your head repeatedly into a brick wall.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 12-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #532
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That's because you already had a bad headache from banging your head repeatedly into a brick wall.
Good point.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #533

Walked to the grocery store to pick up some essentials.

Shovelled the driveway (14" of snow), as it started to warm up and they're predicting more for the Seattle area Tuesday pm. But rain on the week-end (yay!)

-- Rita
Old 12-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #534

Took my Mom out for breakfast this morning at our favorite restaurant a few blocks away. Then went to the Feed & Seed Store to pick up some food for my feathered friends....took it home and refilled the feeders. Messed around out in my shop for a couple of hours, then went in and 'watched' TV.

After my nap 'watching' TV, I went to the grocery store for a few things so we don't have to go again until after Christmas sometime. Then stopped at the hardware store to pick up another heat lamp & bulb for out in my workshop....I've got 2 heat lamps already installed, but decided a 3rd one would help bring the shop up to temp a bit quicker. Someday I'll run a gas line out there, and install a furnace....but I've just been way too lazy busy.

When I got home from the stores, I refilled the feeders...again!

My day will wrap up with some 'net surfin', TV viewing, then, being all tuckered out, I'll hit the pillows.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #535

Re-stoked the stove around 0900, that's when i finally crawled out of bed. Outside thermometer showed 5 degrees.
Lounge around reminding myself how great retirement is.
Did not have to show up at 0630 at w*rk. Just looking out the widow, for hours. It sure looks picture postcard pretty from in here, temp about 78 from the stove.

Watched DW get bundled up to go get her haircut, wasted more time got up to speed on the daily drivel.

Went to local greasy spoon for coffee and the latest local news.

Another words: a damn good day.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #536

Started the day with 45 minutes of running on the treadmill before meeting with my personal trainer for an hour weight training session. Followed that up with a visit to the chiropractor - finally found a really good one who is working on the neurological/deep tissue issues.

Spent the afternoon running around the mall and various shops buying some new soup plates for Christmas Day lunch. Also trawled the shops looking for some ugly Christmas sweaters to force on each attendee at lunch on Christmas day.

Ended the day cooking carrot and ginger soup for dinner, first time so hopefully it will be tasty.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:09 PM   #537

Enough with your what I did today ER stuff.....

My company will be cutting people in Jan - maybe me, it's friggin cold, I worked all day, I had to receive cheesy/tacky X-mas gifts from co-workers/bosses, read stupid emails from senior mgt about how much progress was made this past year and the Bears aren't killing the Pack as of the 1st Q.

But the Sam Adams is tasting damn good right now.....

You guys don't know what you are missing

Old 12-23-2008, 03:10 AM   #538
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
BTW, I was expecting a ton of last minute shoppers but did not find many there. Lot's of good bargains to be had.
um, isn't "last minute" 11:45p.m. Wed.? I'll be there.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #539
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post

You guys don't know what you are missing

I'm afraid we do. That's why we ER'ed.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #540

Got up at 8 (am)...thought about how glad I am I don't have to go to work today (2 weeks off, school teacher). Talked to my finance guy back in Deer Park WA last night and he still thinks I might be able to retire in 1.5 years at 53. Practiced some Bach on the mandolin. Ran a little over 4 miles. Walked my wife into Harrogate and back (3 miles) to check on a new phone for her and looking for a box to ship a mandolin to the US in. Trading a guy who has a solid body electric I want. Box not found.....phone purchased. Walked dogs onto top field in the mud....our "not normal" dog did not try to kill any others today (very successful walk). Contemplated for the umpteenth time today how I really need to get out of teaching and become half way decent on the mandolin. My wife just informed me she is having a gin+tonic and watching Scrooge with Alastair Sim....guess I will pop a (or more) Corona and join her. Again thinking about how much I need to retire on....$40,000 or less a year. I think I can.....I think I can.....I think I can.....