Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 12:36 AM   #5421
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Cou you tell us the recipe, and your technique in detail?

It sounds very good.

Ha
Heh. They were delicious.

Equipment:
Weber BBQ

The setup:
I loaded a chimney starter in the Weber with a little paper and around 60 charcoal briquets, and got the coals started. The coals were dumped in a pile on one side of the BBQ, so there'd be none under the ribs. Set aside another 20 or so briquets to re-stoke the fire in a few hours.

The stuff:
3 lbs pork ribs, butcher cut, or about 2 3/4 lbs St Louis style.
1 beer
4 tablespoons spicy mustard (I used Beaver honey mustard this time)
Several tablespoons of your favorite rub (optional)
1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce (Also optional; Commando style ribs can be good)
6 feet of aluminum foil.
2" deep pan filled with water. (I use a cheap aluminum pan. This is just to provide moisture, and we won't be cooking anything in it.)
Smoking wood chips if desired. I like apple or cherry.

Trim butcher cut ribs, removing the 'flap' so the ribs have an even thickness. Save the trimmings. Remove the membrane on the bone side. I use a knife to tease one corner up, and then just grab with a paper towel and tug it off.

Rub down the ribs and trimmings with the mustard in a thin coat. Dust the ribs with your favorite rub if you like.

Cooking the ribs:

The ribs are going to be cooking for a bit over 4 hours. We'll be cooking with just the BBQ heat for 2 hours, then about 45 minutes with the Texas Cheat, and then another hour or so to finish.

The coals should be ready back at the BBQ. Set the pan with water over the coals, on one side of the grill. On the other side, lay down the ribs, bone side down. Close the cover vent about halfway, and close the bottom vent about halfway. The idea is to keep a fire going with the temperature just over the meat at 225 F. I usually set a thermometer atop the ribs.

If you are using wood chips for smoking, start these as you start the ribs, topping up occasionally during the first hour of cooking. Past that, the meat is sealed by the heat, and more smoke will just scent the neighborhood.

After 2 hours, we move the ribs to the Texas Cheat. Fold that 6 feet of foil in half, to get a double thickness, and then form it into a sort of shallow pan. Carefully place the ribs on the foil so as to avoid puncturing the foil. Open the beer and pour half of it into the foil 'pan', avoiding pouring directly on the ribs and messing up that lovely glaze. Wrap the foil around the ribs and pinch closed, so as to hold in the liquid and steam. Place the wrapped ribs back on the grill, and cover the grill. This step helps finish the cooking, and keeps the meat nice and moist. Temperature above the wrapped ribs should still be around 225 F. Drink the remaining beer, and re-stoke the fire with the reserved briquets as needed.

After 45 minutes, take the ribs out of the foil, and put them back on the grill, still bone side down, and cover the grill. We still want the temperature just over the meat at 225 F. This will dry off the outside of the ribs.

Cooking is done at this point, and it's time to dress the ribs with BBQ sauce. Remove the water pan from over the coals. Mop a thin coat of BBQ sauce onto the ribs, and flip them over so the meaty side is down and over the coals. Mop a thin coat of sauce onto the bone side. Flip and finish as soon as the sauce on the bottom side starts bubbling. Don't let it burn. Plate up the slab-O-meat, and serve.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2010, 01:07 AM   #5422
Moderator Emeritus

Just about finished with the pocket-guide version of The Military Guide. Feels like editing with a chainsaw... 200+ 6"x9" pages cut down to 64 4"x5" pages. Eventually.

REWahoo, I'm sorry about the seal on the slideout. We have rats do that here for water, although it looks like your raccoons had to wear snorkel masks to work in that weather.

You guys are making me mighty happy that Hawaii lacks squirrels and raccoons. I can live with the occasional itty bitty brown scorpion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
One weekend, went to a wedding of the daughter of a friend of SO's... and whores doovers out the wazoo...
Ooookay. Gonna take me a long time to get rid of that mental image!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #5423
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Did you stay in that sweet little campground by the sweet little community zoo?
We left Sioux City, Iowa about 2:00, with thoughts of stopping over in Valentine but, in the end, decided to drive on to North Platte. We arrived there about 7:00 and simply grabbed "Holiday RV Park' out of the Trailer Life book. (It was quite full, BTW -- holiday week-end) We did nothing more than eat dinner and watch a little TV before hitting the bed. The next morning (yesterday) we left about 7:30, which, because North Platte is on the western edge of the Eastern Time Zone, was not very long after sunup.

Hunting?? Do these wonderful, beautiful creatures end up on the table or is this another of those "thrill of killing something" events?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #5424
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post

Hunting?? Do these wonderful, beautiful creatures end up on the table or is this another of those "thrill of killing something" events?
People eat them. I won't.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 09-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #5425
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...where is the recording of that vocalist you are always on about?
She is in burning man right now. Also, she is moving out of the area in about a month, so we are back to being a trio. A big drop in the average talent level of the group, but also a big drop in the hassle factor. She was OK for a 20-year-old, but she was still a 20-year-old.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #5426
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
so we are back to being a trio.
Well, it didn't hurt that much. You guys have a wonderful sound.

Quote:
A big drop in the average talent level of the group, but also a big drop in the hassle factor. She was OK for a 20-year-old, but she was still a 20-year-old.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #5427
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
All it needs is BACON!
Next one for sure WILL have BACON .

I am looking on eBay (see below) for some steel perforated pizza pans to get the crust crispier. My fave Bostonian used to own a pizza place way back when. He is my expert advisor.

Yes, folks, I FINALLY joined eBay as a buyer only. I am looking for "Anchor Hocking Ruby Red glassware" to complete a 4 person table setting. I have lots of salad plates and berry bowls, but no dinner plates or soup bowls. I have a bid in for 4 plates at a much better price (even with shipping) than I have seen them at local antique stores. I also have bids on a 4 tumblers and a ball vase.

I put a few more Ruby Red items (leaf candy dish and small bowls) on my watchlist for future reference.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #5428
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
it looks very good. It seems pretty much like the wonderful thin crust pizza in New England, which IMO is as good as pizza can get. I think is is the only thing that could make me cheat on my low carb eating plan.

Ha
TY
I load it up with cheese because a girl needs her RDA of calcium.
I make my own sauce from unsalted plain tomato paste. I make a big batch and freeze it in small containers for pizza making.

I need to get the right pizza pan to get the crust crispness (say that fast 3x) better. A delivered large pizza, plain with extra cheese, runs me $16. My ROI for purchasing a proper commercial pizza pan will occur with 1.5 pizzas made at home, less the ingredients.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #5429
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am looking on eBay (see below) for some steel perforated pizza pans to get the crust crispier. My fave Bostonian used to own a pizza place way back when. He is my expert advisor.
Does he recommend against a Pizza Stone? See, for instance: Pizza Stones | How To Use A Pizza Stone
Old 09-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #5430
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does he recommend against a Pizza Stone? See, for instance: Pizza Stones | How To Use A Pizza Stone
Yes. He was making pizza to sell so using a stone was a cleaning issue.
Stones work well but not as well as steel pans.
The crust needs to have air circulation underneath it to get the bottom really crispy. He used seasoned steel pans but says aluminum will work ok also. He would put the dough right on the super perforated pan, placed directly on the oven rack (no solid pan beneath). The oven temperature is critical also. I believe he said 500 F was best.
I have a gas powered oven so I can achieve pretty close to that.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #5431
Give me a forum ...

I put my pizza stone away for awhile since we went low carb but now all this pizza talk has got me hungry .
When buying on ebay make sure to check the seller's feedback . The best seller's are top rated and that is what you want. Also check out the shipping . Some sellers inflate the shipping to make more profit .
Old 09-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #5432
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Stones work well but not as well as steel pans.
The crust needs to have air circulation underneath it to get the bottom really crispy. He used seasoned steel pans
Like this one?

Calphalon Classic Nonstick Pizza Pan 16 in. at Cooking.com
Old 09-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #5433
Administrator

We spent yesterday down at Frank's family's huge fishing camp on Lake Borgne, down south in St. Bernard Parish. Most of his large extended family is staying down there for the long weekend.

We had a crab boil, and I have never seen such large, fresh, succulent crabs in my life. Wow! And then there were also softshell crabs though I never got to those. It was pandemonium as there were lots of happy children chasing about and giggling while the adults pigged out on the huge, steamy pot of crabs.

His brothers-in-law, who fish all over the region down there constantly, said that the fishing is great and they have yet to see any oil at all anywhere. The weather was perfect, with lots of sunshine and a light breeze blowing off the lake.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #5434
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, except the more holes the better.
Steel > aluminum > nonstick coated, in that order, for the thermal qualities.
Samples here:
Perforated steel pizza pan at TheFind - Search, discover and compare prices
Old 09-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #5435
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, except the more holes the better.
Steel > aluminum > nonstick coated, in that order, for the thermal qualities.
Gotcha.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #5436
Moderator Emeritus

This thread is always full of busy-ness, so someone has to say it once in a while:

I don't think I'm going to do anything today. Maybe run Scooby-doo over the kitchen floor, and maybe look up a good host for "The Military Guide" blog/website. And maybe start a new thread or two. But that's it. Nothin' else.

Spouse returns tomorrow. I've enjoyed this time to myself but we're going to enjoy her homecoming even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
... so we are back to being a trio. A big drop in the average talent level of the group, but also a big drop in the hassle factor. She was OK for a 20-year-old, but she was still a 20-year-old.
Jazz without drama? Is that possible?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We had a crab boil, and I have never seen such large, fresh, succulent crabs in my life. Wow!
I was a crab carnivore from way back until I started hanging out among Navy divers with search & rescue experience. I'd be a mite concerned about what's accelerating the crab's growth rate...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #5437
Give me a forum ...

It was a gloomy day here so after running an errand I did a few things I've been procrastinating on . One was writing a letter that tells my SO & my daughter what to do and who to notify if something happens to me . The other was write a list of who gets what personal items and attach it to my will . It kind of creeps me to do it but I know it will make life so much easier for them.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #5438
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Coffee/breakfast at Tim Hortons.
Trying to figure out how to cook one steak rare and one medium (I always do warm in the middle).
Old 09-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #5439
Give me a forum ...

We have acquired a skunk guest under our deck. It's really stinky in our house from time to time now and DW especially hates it. I tried putting stones around the deck since there are plenty in our area (live near an ancient volcanic mountain). The skunk (with possible racoon help) moved the stones and crawled back under the deck. So I have set up a system to monitor this (see picture). It's some of those long ties you get in the supermarket. When they point inward the skunk is in residence which is the current condition in the photo. When they point outword the skunk has left for awhile.

Tonight we are going to process the eviction notice since it's past the breeding season and any little ones should be able to move out. Will be doing the following (1) put light source under deck area, (2) sprinkle around some liquid he or she is reputed not to like, (3) turn on deck lighting, (4) place noise source used to deter moles and gophers near the hole. If he moves out I'll put in some heavy rocks that you can see to lower right of the photo in his entrance. Also might put down some moth balls placed in old panty hose as a temporary further defense.

It will be interesting to see what happens .
Old 09-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #5440
Give me a forum ...

Riddle me this, Batman...
Today I spent my last day at age 51.
It's not called Labor Day just for American workers rights.