Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #5441
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So far this "holiday weekend" we have built a 40" diameter outdoor firepit, fabricated & loaded four 2'x4' planter boxes, mowed the yard, moved all the rocks to the front of the house, weeded and swept the patio,built several Ikea furniture pieces (5x5, 2x2, 5x1, Expedit wall units, plus desk), trimmed the bushes along fences, weeded garden, manicure at salon, grocery shopped, had some friends over for BBQ last night, picked up furniture at my old place an hour away, breakfast with friends at diner, visited Grandma, and hunted (shopped) for materials for firepit screen (no luck yet)...whew - busy weekend! Watching Star Wars marathon now...we are hoping tomorrow is a lazy day - organizing the inside of the house & laundry!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #5442
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

We'd planned to head out in the RV on Tuesday, taking the trip to the mountains of New Mexico we canceled when our A/C croaked last month. The weather has been great the past couple of days but now rain is predicted for Tuesday - and I don't like driving the bus in the rain.

So... we decided to leave tomorrow. Nice thing about being retired and having your own accommodations - lots of scheduling flexibility.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 09-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #5443
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
September 1st, I turned 60. Not sure what is the protocol.
I did get driver's license renewed.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #5444
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
September 1st, I turned 60. Not sure what is the protocol.
I did get driver's license renewed.
A HA! Two Virgos running amok on the forum.

HAPPY Belated BIRTHDAY !

1 flower for each 10 years.

I would like to start a "mutual admiration society" for September babies. We Virgos were conceived during Christmas or New Years' Eve parties.

I duly nominate Khan as President, having the Sept 1st slot.
All in favor say "Aye"
Old 09-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #5445
Administrator

Khan, I hope you had a Happy Birthday on Wednesday.

And Freebird5825, Happy Birthday tomorrow!!

For both of you September babies,

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #5446

Wow, what a day! DW and I went to an air show in Martinsburg, WV.

We got to the airport about 9:30 to walk around, look at the static displays, and find out where the tent/chairs were that we had tickets for. The air show started about 10:30 with parachute jumps by the U.S. Army's Golden Knights parachute team, followed by a well-done acrobatic show by a Bucker Jungmiester biplane, another by a WWII Navy SNJ, and a Pitts acrobatic biplane. Then there was an acrobatic show by a sailplane, doing things I didn't know sailplanes could do, all in silence. Unfortunately the Golden Knights had to curtail the main portion of their show due to a change in the winds aloft - they were jumping from 13,000 feet.

Following that was a demo by an A-10 ground support aircraft, and the highlight of it all was the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds. Those guys are very impressive and have honed their skills to an unbelievable level. The aircraft move so fast that getting pictures is very difficult. In the first photo note the shadow of the lead aircraft on the one below/behind. That shows how close they are.

The weather was perfect. High temp was 80 F, low humidity, light winds at ground level. Even DW enjoyed it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Airshow 243.jpg (61.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Airshow 058.jpg (62.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Airshow 274.jpg (52.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Airshow 116.jpg (46.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Airshow 084.jpg (49.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #5447

Walt34, I know what you mean after viewing the Chicago air show a few weekends ago. In Chicago I was really surprised how close the planes were flying to those skyscrapers, as they circled back over the water. The screaming, booming, loudness that was produced by some of the aircraft was unbelievable. Quite a show... The first air show that I ever attended....so much fun.

By the way, your pictures are much better than mine. As you said, hard to get good pictures with all that speed.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #5448
Give me a forum ...

Last night DW and I worked the beer tent at an arts and music festival for our favorite nonprofit.

It made me realize that I almost never rub elbows with the great unwashed masses any more, living an upscale suburban town on a cul-de-sac and shopping at off hours.

I poured 12 oz. beers from a constantly-on tap for 4 hours, which sold for $5.50 each. There were three of us on the taps. This, in a town with 13% unemployment. Other people's spending amazes me.

I never, ever want to attend a rock concert. Thankfully, we had ear plugs.

There are some really beeeeutiful young women out there, strutting their stuff. Gazing that made the monotony worthwhile.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #5449
Administrator

Yesterday we went to Home Depot to inquire about recarpeting my entire house in preparation for selling.

The cost to put in a nice, neutral carpet throughout the house is much less than I had thought it would be, especially if my remaining things are all moved off of the carpet somehow so that it can be done in one day.

The woman working in carpeting is also a realtor and we chatted for a while. She reported that houses are not selling here even with drastically lowered prices, that recent foreclosures are choking the market, and that just this past week there were 50 additional HUD foreclosures just in my local area. Aargh.

Oh well. Full steam ahead.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #5450
Give me a forum ...

Took the mutt on a hiking/swimming trip this morning. Nothing unusual other than the number of people out there on a Monday. But, I hear it's a holiday. Below are a couple of pics. Gonna take a nap in a minute.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #5451
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Coffee/breakfast at Tim Hortons.
Trying to figure out how to cook one steak rare and one medium (I always do warm in the middle).
Depending on the heat, about 5 minutes on a hot BBQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Khan, I hope you had a Happy Birthday on Wednesday.

And Freebird5825, Happy Birthday tomorrow!!
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...just this past week there were 50 additional HUD foreclosures just in my local area. Aargh.

Oh well. Full steam ahead.
Say what?
Old 09-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #5452

Today I volunteered at a free clinic.

Also trying to get used to this website as I am new here. Enjoying it though.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #5453
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Today I volunteered at a free clinic.

Also trying to get used to this website as I am new here. Enjoying it though.

Welcome ! I am a retired RN . I worked mostly in the OR but I did spend eleven years in Interventional Radiology !
Old 09-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #5454
Give me a forum ...

What great day I had.

All of the local restaurants of any notability are closed on Mondays, so I was treated to a homemade dinner, bottle of wine, guitar CDs playing all day, a very romantic birthday card, and...

Tomorrow is a road trip east to New England.
We are definitely going to go drive to the ocean and have some real fried clams , whole clams instead of those dinky little strips .
A whole lobster could easily end up on my plate.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #5455
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
What great day I had.

All of the local restaurants of any notability are closed on Mondays, so I was treated to a homemade dinner, bottle of wine, guitar CDs playing all day, a very romantic birthday card, and...

Tomorrow is a road trip east to New England.
We are definitely going to go drive to the ocean and have some real fried clams , whole clams instead of those dinky little strips .
A whole lobster could easily end up on my plate.
Sounds like a perfect birthday!! I'm glad. Have fun in New England tomorrow.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #5456
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
A HA! Two Virgos running amok on the forum.

HAPPY Belated BIRTHDAY !

1 flower for each 10 years.

I would like to start a "mutual admiration society" for September babies. We Virgos were conceived during Christmas or New Years' Eve parties.

I duly nominate Khan as President, having the Sept 1st slot.
All in favor say "Aye"
OK, I'll join in. Happy Birthday to you two! Sept. 16 for me. :-)
Old 09-07-2010, 01:11 AM   #5457
Moderator Emeritus

Picked up spouse today at the airport.

It's been a while since I waited around baggage claim. Today's flight originated in LAX and was continuing on to Japan, Korea, and China. Quite an eclectic crowd debarked for their Hawaii vacation.

Anyway she's back, and I have a new appreciation for all the household operations that go on around here. (I'm on call for maintenance, troubleshooting, repairs, toilet cleaning, and extermination-- but rarely operations.) It seems that all day long there are windows to be opened (later closed), fans to be turned on (later turned off), wastebaskets & trash to be hauled, green waste to be collected, recycling to be sorted, plants to be watered, bunny & fishes to be fed, rugs to be vacuumed, and so on. Maybe the ops load ramped up because our slave labor apprentice escaped for college a few weeks ago.

Spouse is really happy to be back home. Too much drama & angst during her Mainland trip. There ended up being a major field day here yesterday but she was appreciative of the resulting material condition and the accomplished maintenance... or maybe just glad to be back in her recliner.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #5458
Give me a forum ...

Got up late...again. In a few minutes I'm gonna make some waffles and top them with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. I think I'll spread a table cloth on the patio table and dine outside while the raindrops dance in my pond.

I imagine soon after that, I'll take a nap.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #5459
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
After seeing an announcement a couple of days ago that NASA had rescheduled the launch dates of the last two shuttle missions, I decided to attempt crossing off one more item on my bucket list.
After watching this video, I am even more determined to go to one of the final launches. The cameras were attached to the booster rockets so that you are watching the lift-off, the Shuttle separation, and then the plummet back to Earth.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #5460
Administrator

Packed another box and moved my large and ever-growing "take to GoodWill" pile to the now-empty room by the front door.

As for packing, I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. After spending some time walking from room to room and taking note of everything, I have a rough estimate of how many boxes I will end up with. Next week I will call the Salvation Army to take another load of junky cheap furniture.

We donated half a dozen or more boxes of books to the library today.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread