Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #5461
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

W2R, must be a trend here as the Salvation Army is coming to our house tomorrow. Probably a lot of interesting items available at thrifts nowadays with all kinds of people moving, some for unfortunate reasons. In our case the reasons are good ones DS painted several rooms in our house which precipitated throwing out a lot of stuff. Also he moved off to college and so there is more for Salvation Army.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #5462
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
W2R, must be a trend here as the Salvation Army is coming to our house tomorrow. Probably a lot of interesting items available at thrifts nowadays with all kinds of people moving, some for unfortunate reasons. In our case the reasons are good ones DS painted several rooms in our house which precipitated throwing out a lot of stuff. Also he moved off to college and so there is more for Salvation Army.
Have you been to your Salvation Army recently? Ours has some beautiful furniture - - much better than what I remember forty years ago (when I was buying instead of donating).

We are also giving smaller things to GoodWill, but in our area they don't have a truck. So the Salvation Army gets the big stuff.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #5463
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took several boxes to the Salvation Army today as I continue to clean out stuff I don't need anymore. My efforts are no where near as aggressive as W2R though!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #5464
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Took several boxes to the Salvation Army today as I continue to clean out stuff I don't need anymore. My efforts are no where near as aggressive as W2R though!
That's great that you donated several boxes of things to the S.A.!! They are a good organization, it seems to me.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #5465
Gone but not forgotten

Here is a great article about home staging .
http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/...-staging_x.htm
Old 09-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #5466
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Here is a great article about home staging .
http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/...-staging_x.htm
Looks like a good article for any seller to keep in mind. We put a lot of stuff in the garage before we moved years ago. Seems most people don't mind the garage clutter except maybe some of us guys.

I think it would help to tour some homes on the market in your area and see what the competition is up to.

P.S. Moemg, looks like your avatar was shot in San Diego. There is a nice restaurant we like right there called the Fish Market with decent prices, great service, and good harbor views.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #5467
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
P.S. Moemg, looks like your avatar was shot in San Diego. There is a nice restaurant we like right there called the Fish Market with decent prices, great service, and good harbor views.
No, It is Sarasota ,Florida . The statue is here now thanks to several wealthy residents .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thekiss.jpg (133.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #5468
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
No, It is Sarasota ,Florida . The statue is here now thanks to several wealthy residents .
Didn't know there was more then one of those. I looked up the San Diego sculpture and found it was done in 2007 so it's pretty new. Here is a link to the article:
WWII Commemorative Statue Unveiled In San Diego
Kind of an unusual sculpture but seems to be put in the right location and gets a lot of attention.

We've been visiting San Diego a lot as DS is now going to SDSU there. The sculpture is placed right next to the old Navy aircraft carrier Midway which you can tour. It's a great tour and the top deck has all kinds of aircraft on display including several jet fighters and helicopters. If you're planning to visiting San Diego this is a good thing to do on Sunday when parking at the harbor area is free.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #5469
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I adopted a dog today. Another 1st year of retirement item crossed off my list, now that I have the camper van and can take her with. She's a 5 month old smooth collie. I hope she doesn't get much bigger. My cats approved of her and took an instant liking to her. They had the veto power. Yesterday, I learned both of my cats have the beginnings of chronic renal failure. Tomorrow, the new dog goes to the vet.

I predict there will lots of dog training in my future.
She is a beauty!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #5470
Give me a forum ...

Dental cleaning and check up this morning. Then picked up my mom and we went to Walgreens to get a flu shot. The whole ordeal took 45 minutes. As we were leaving, I heard an announcement that flu shots were available with no waiting lines. I couldn't help but laugh.

About to take a nap and then go get a haircut. Tough life.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #5471
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Today...hmmmmm

I played nurse to my fave guy. His stomach was all upset so I gave him one of my famous stomach rubs (now BEHAVE! ). The method is to get the victim patient to lie down on his back, close his eyes, and get the stomach muscles to relax by rubbing the abdomen in circular motions. Guaranteed to cure insomnia also.
You want me to behave after you threw that beach ball over the plate?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 09-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #5472
Give me a forum ...

I'm feelin' a might soggy today....
Old 09-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #5473
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm feelin' a might soggy today....
Ugh, hope things are drying up soon, or if not that you can swim if need be! Sounds very wet up there. BTW you come up with the coolest emoticons.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #5474

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Ugh, hope things are drying up soon, or if not that you can swim if need be! Sounds very wet up there. BTW you come up with the coolest emoticons.
I'd like to know where those cool emoticons come from... Do you cool guys make them? I don't know how.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #5475
Moderator Emeritus

Today I continued packing everything I won't need (for myself or for the house) for the next few months. Most of this took place in my den, which needs to be painted, but my guest bedroom doesn't - - so today I broke out the dollie and moved all the boxes to my guest bedroom, where they are neatly stacked. That was tiring but a step in the right direction. It will get them out of the way of the painters. Then packed, sealed, labeled, and stacked a few more large boxes.

Very tiring exhausting work, and I feel every bit my age. My house looks like - - well, like a house looks in the middle of a do-it-all-yourself move. Most of us have been there, done that, I guess.

Later we had lunch and spent the afternoon enjoying one another's company and resting for a while. Tonight I am trying to clear a path for the Salvation Army. It looks like this will be the last S.A. pickup until the house is sold.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #5476

Got it...he he I'll behave now.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #5477
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I'd like to know where those cool emoticons come from... Do you cool guys make them? I don't know how.
Well, I sure ain't cool but I'll PM you with a link...
Old 09-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #5478
Recycles dryer sheets

DWs laptop PC is dying- works ok with an external monitor, but the LCD screen is just black. not worth fixing.

Went to Bangor to buy a new laptop. Went to 5 retailers, none of them had laptops in the store. Staples had 12 laptops on display, 11 were out of stock. Best Buy only had $900+ units in stock.

Came home and ordered over the internet. It will be here Saturday.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #5479
Give me a forum ...

I treated myself to some new binoculars. My old ones were not waterproof and between ongoing technological improvements and the incredible pricing of China manufacturing, I realized that I could step up and not break the bank.

I ended up with Nikon Monarchs - 10 x42. They are amazingly brighter in low light and I appreciate that they focus as close as 6 feet - thus the name - for butterfly fanciers. They come with a 25 year warranty.

Total cost was $250 from Adorama including shipping, with a $50 rebate back from Nikon.

Lots of reviews on Amazon if you are interested.

Amazon.com: Nikon 7432 Monarch 10x42mm All-Terrain Binoculars: Camera & Photo
Old 09-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #5480
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today My sister came down for a visit and we took Mom out to lunch and help her get the paper work finished to put a veterans marker on Dad's grave. He died 17 years ago but their is a new one just available she wanted to add.

Mom seemed to really enjoy the day and provided several letters they wrote each other during his service in WWII for the family history I am working on and have been for years.