Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #5481
Recycles dryer sheets

A beautiful day today so I took the dog for a long walk with a friend and her 2 dogs. All the dogs got along great. At the end I put mine on the long rope & she and one of other dogs had a blast by and in the river. I discovered my dog has a wash and wear coat. When she dried, the dirt just fell off of her.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #5482
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
All ready to fly to Italy for 26 days. The work is down and the fun set to begin.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #5483
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got up, fed the cat, tossed the dead squirrel he dragged in as an offering, went for a walk, checked this forum to see if I garnered any demerits, feed me. DW is off visiting with her sisters. Trying to explain to the cat that he should eat his midnight snack on the hoof outside. Not having much success so far.

Gonna work on some mods and do some maintaining of my trailer, get it ready for a trip.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #5484
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Got up, fed the cat, tossed the dead squirrel he dragged in as an offering, went for a walk, checked this forum to see if I garnered any demerits, feed me. DW is off visiting with her sisters. Trying to explain to the cat that he should eat his midnight snack on the hoof outside. Not having much success so far.
The squirrel must have been very sick... or very old. I don't believe any cat would come out ahead in an encounter with a healthy squirrel. I have watched squirrels "play" with cats for years and can vouch for how quick
squirrels are. I have only heard of one actual entanglement and was told that the cat suffered greatly from the experience while the squirrel had not a scratch.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #5485

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
The squirrel must have been very sick... or very old. I don't believe any cat would come out ahead in an encounter with a healthy squirrel. I have watched squirrels "play" with cats for years and can vouch for how quick
squirrels are. I have only heard of one actual entanglement and was told that the cat suffered greatly from the experience while the squirrel had not a scratch.
I dunno, this was the third one in a week. One he chased up a tree, and brought it back down. It was not alive by the time he got it on the ground. He's just about 2 yrs old, was a stray, seems his outdoor skills are superb so far.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #5486
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I dunno, this was the third one in a week. One he chased up a tree, and brought it back down. It was not alive by the time he got it on the ground. He's just about 2 yrs old, was a stray, seems his outdoor skills are superb so far.
Three!! In a week!! You've convinced me. Wow!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #5487

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Three!! In a week!! You've convinced me. Wow!
I did bury the first two, this one went to crows. They all had different parts missing btw. Meet Charley, pic about 2 weeks ago, shortly after DW picked him from the shelter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0309.jpg (437.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #5488
Give me a forum ...

Had a cyst removed from my back in AM, then walked downtown and treated myself to a very nice lunch of les oeufs, le jambon et le fromage at my favorite zinc bar café. And a small pitcher of cabernet. I always try to treat myself well after any assault on my body, even a minimal one like this.

They said no tango for 2 weeks, but I think I can accelerate this by just dancing no-hands. I don't think I have gone 2 weeks without dancing in over 15 years.

After lunch I went shopping for my grand-daughter's 2nd birthday. She said she wanted a butterfly, and I despaired of ever finding anything with a butterfly theme, but I walked into Old Navy and found a perfect long sleeved tee with a butterfly appliqué, and then best of all, a little cardigan sweater that color coordinated nicely with the butterfly. I felt sure it was good, but I needed reassurance so I asked my favorite help on these matters, a young gay man. He told me he too thought it was perfect. Next door at The Gap I got some brightly striped leggings that also will match. If I were still married my wife would likely be doing this, and I would be missing an interesting and enjoyable experience. I do admit, I might have had more misgivings without a bit of wine on board. My DILs seem to appreciate than I think about, shop for, and choose their gifts myself.

Since I don't wish to be accused of premature gender shaping or lack of hipitude, later today I will get into my car, drive out of the city center and find a toy truck or some light artillery to give her also.

Ha
Old 09-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #5489
Moderator Emeritus

We've had family from out of the country visiting all week. We took them to Lynchburg, TN on Wednesday to visit the Jack Daniel's distillery and eat lunch at Ms. Mary Bobo's (Southern country ham, fried okra, green peas, cream corn, fried chicken, cole slaw, corn bread, macaroni and cheese, baked apples with whisky sauce, sweet tea, chess pie).

I labored all day yesterday making a delicious Gumbo. My roux had a beautiful chocolate color, though I ended up with burn marks on my hands from the Cajun Napalm!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #5490
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Cat used to get squirrels. Cat is 12 now, ignores squirrels; still gets mice and chipmunks.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #5491
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Had a cyst removed from my back in AM, then walked downtown and treated myself to a very nice lunch of les oeufs, le jambon et le fromage at my favorite zinc bar café. And a small pitcher of cabernet. I always try to treat myself well after any assault on my body, even a minimal one like this.

They said no tango for 2 weeks, but I think I can accelerate this by just dancing no-hands. I don't think I have gone 2 weeks without dancing in over 15 years.

After lunch I went shopping for my grand-daughter's 2nd birthday. She said she wanted a butterfly, and I despaired of ever finding anything with a butterfly theme, but I walked into Old Navy and found a perfect long sleeved tee with a butterfly appliqué, and then best of all, a little cardigan sweater that color coordinated nicely with the butterfly. I felt sure it was good, but I needed reassurance so I asked my favorite help on these matters, a young gay man. He told me he too thought it was perfect. Next door at The Gap I got some brightly striped leggings that also will match. If I were still married my wife would likely be doing this, and I would be missing an interesting and enjoyable experience. I do admit, I might have had more misgivings without a bit of wine on board. My DILs seem to appreciate than I think about, shop for, and choose their gifts myself.

Since I don't wish to be accused of premature gender shaping or lack of hipitude, later today I will get into my car, drive out of the city center and find a toy truck or some light artillery to give her also.

Ha
Ha, you are the best grandpa ever!
Old 09-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #5492
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Ha, you are the best grandpa ever!
Thank you Meadbh. That is a sweet thing to say.

Ha
Old 09-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #5493
Give me a forum ...

I agree....Ha is a wonderful grandpa....

I didn't get a shirt with butterflies today but I did purchase Bombay Sapphire gin, Gentleman Jack whiskey, Bacardi rum, Don Julio Anejo tequila and Grand Marnier liqueur.

...and two limes.

Ahhhhhhh.....
Old 09-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #5494
Give me a forum ...

Ha , a great idea maybe not for her birthday but for Christmas is the Geo train set . I have given them to all our grandchildren and they love them . They can run the trains by themselves and the sets can be added onto .
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-G...5&sr=1-2-fkmr0
Old 09-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #5495
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI;976889I
didn't get a shirt with butterflies today but I did purchase Bombay Sapphire gin, Gentleman Jack whiskey, Bacardi rum, Don Julio Anejo tequila and Grand Marnier liqueur.

...and two limes.

Ahhhhhhh.....
Yeah, Anejo... aaahh.

Tequila Anejo Reviews & Ratings at Tequila.net

Coinicidentally, I found a 1.5 liter bottle of Sauza Anejo Commemorative for $24.99 today. Not in the same class as Don Julio but a bargain in any event.

Sauza Conmemorativo Tequila Anejo | Mixtos | Tequila Reviews at Tequila.net

Of course, I had to buy some Citronge to go with some Reposado I had laying around.

Patron Citronge Reviews. Buying guides & consumer product reviews at Epinions.com

I am more of a B & B fan but Grand Marnier is in second place/
Old 09-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #5496
Give me a forum ...

Ooooh...thanks for the links!

I haven't tried the Sauza, but I will.... and the Patron Citronge sounds soooo good. Maybe I'll have to make another trip....
Old 09-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #5497
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
We've had family from out of the country visiting all week. We took them to Lynchburg, TN on Wednesday to visit the Jack Daniel's distillery and eat lunch at Ms. Mary Bobo's (Southern country ham, fried okra, green peas, cream corn, fried chicken, cole slaw, corn bread, macaroni and cheese, baked apples with whisky sauce, sweet tea, chess pie).

I labored all day yesterday making a delicious Gumbo. My roux had a beautiful chocolate color, though I ended up with burn marks on my hands from the Cajun Napalm!
Ms Bobo's! I love that place but rarely go since I need to watch my weight but I think it is time for a treat! In a month or so that will be a beautiful drive also.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #5498
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today is my retirement party. Even thought I retired in July, summer was just to busy to try and get people rounded up, especially since most have to make an hour long trek to get to my house. About 15 people are coming, some are bringing RVs and spending the night. I am grilling up some brats and tri-tip and have a couple of coolers full of beer and soda. Tomorrow morning I'm making biscuits and gravy and scrambled eggs. The fun starts right after my son's football game. A good day!

Old 09-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #5499

A walk today with my walking club through Mercer Slough park in Bellevue WA. This is a preserved wetlands area adjacent to Lake Washington. Here's a couple of photos -- in the last one, a farmer offered some freshly picked blueberries (the absolute best).

-- Rita
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2291e.jpg (233.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2292e.jpg (682.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2293e.jpg (848.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #5500
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
Today is my retirement party. Even thought I retired in July, summer was just to busy to try and get people rounded up, especially since most have to make an hour long trek to get to my house. About 15 people are coming, some are bringing RVs and spending the night. I am grilling up some brats and tri-tip and have a couple of coolers full of beer and soda. Tomorrow morning I'm making biscuits and gravy and scrambled eggs. The fun starts right after my son's football game. A good day!
A good day indeed! Hope your retirement party is wonderful