Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #5581
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Got up at 5AM, washed dishes (in the sink, with my bare hands), made several salads.
It's the only way to fly, as far as I know. We could start a list,

Real women:
1. Use their bare hands;
2. ....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #5582
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Walt, I am glad to hear that GoodWill took your TV. I have an old 19" CRT TV that I want to donate but wasn't sure if they would take it.

And yes, that is a very unusual and spectacular centerpiece!
The local Salvation Army will take anything. They have a trailer out back of the building; just throw it in there, and leave real fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I may make "pot pie" size pies this year. I have several small foil tins hanging around.
Insert Beavis and Butthead laughter here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Went to a pet adoption fair this morning sans kids and DW. Probably too early for us, but the remaining dog has cancer and a 6 to 12 month life expectancy, so if we do not want a house totally empty of dogs we need to start doing some thinking and then looking.
Good on you for adopting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I have plenty of things I should be doing today, and I believe that I've succeeded in avoiding every one of them...
I've been procrastinating for months in finishing the last 10% or so of getting my house back in order after the great remodel of 2009-2010. Have managed to get moving on that, including, gasp argh, rounding up some frivolous tchotchkes decorative items to fill some empty shelves, and buying a "collage picture frame" to consolidate the family photos.

Still have lots o' yard w*rk I've been putting off due to 100+ degree days since June. Yeah, that's it, the heat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The young wife and I just returned from observing Jupiter and Uranus through my telescope.
Insert second Beavis and Butthead laughter here...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #5583
Give me a forum ...

Mowed grass early this morning. Then cleaned up and drove out of town to try a new dermatologist. I like this one better, seems to be a more concerned type. Dug out a small spot on my face that he said had to be skin cancer, but felt the procedure would take care of it. Also froze a couple of spots. He is 50 miles away, but not a bad drive. Dropped by Petco on the way home for some mutt food. Forty three dollars for a bag of dog food. What is this world coming to? Oh yes, started a new round of antibiotics for a lung infection I didn't shake during the summer. Which means I will have to lay off my normal med's for a few days.

Time for a nap.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #5584
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went for lunch with a group of women who I met on meetup.com. It was a nice enough lunch, not sure if I see any life long friendships for me forming out of the group, however will probably go to one of their lunches again. The problem with moving as much as we do means we constantly have to look for new friends. I must admit as I get older I am less tolerant of BS so that thins out the potential friends pool rather rapidly.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #5585
Moderator Emeritus

North Shore surfing-- in September!

Dawn patrol was too quiet at Pu'a Ena point so I went up the road to Kammies, which came in at 6-10. I would've been better off with my bigger, slower (and softer) board but I'm getting the hang of the shorter one.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #5586
Administrator

Quote:
North Shore surfing-- in September!

Dawn patrol was too quiet at Pu'a Ena point so I went up the road to Kammies, which came in at 6-10. I would've been better off with my bigger, slower (and softer) board but I'm getting the hang of the shorter one.
Woo-hoo!!! Sounds like the North Shore is getting some waves early this year.

This evening we moved a lot of my stuff, which is all crammed in the bedrooms so that the painter can paint in the living room, den, and kitchen. We moved it from my guest bedroom to my living room, since the painter has finished the walls in the common spaces and is half finished with the trim. Just a little more and that bedroom will be emptied out, and ready for painting too. What he has finished looks great!! I'll take a photo once he is done with the trim.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #5587
Give me a forum ...

Currently I am nearly crossed-eyed from sucking a frozen strawberry daiquiri through a straw.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #5588
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Currently I am nearly crossed-eyed from sucking a frozen strawberry daiquiri through a straw.
Two words: fun nel.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 09-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #5589
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Two words: fun nel.
I thought about that...but lord only knows I don't need a brain freeze...
Old 09-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #5590
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Is it still like 400F in Texas? It's still so hot here, my timer just popped up... I could use a frozen daiquiri.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #5591
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Is it still like 400F in Texas? It's still so hot here, my timer just popped up... I could use a frozen daiquiri.
Oooooh....mmm, hmmmm...it's rather warm in TX..

...as for your timer, well now.....

...hmmm...just got a tad bit warmer, ummm...here in TX.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #5592
Give me a forum ...

I've spent the last two days rasslin' with my computers. I bought a new one with Windows 7 and the "Easy Transfer System", but it still takes a lot of messing around to go from old to new.

I have been using Outlook Express for years, and suddenly realized I had lots of old emails that I'd like to keep (digital packrat ) and no new Outlook Express program. The good news is that Thunderbird pulls in all your old OE stuff automatically, but it took some doing to figure out how to move the Tbird data from old computer to new. Answer is Mozbackup.

Next hurdle is to replace Microsoft Money. Any hints?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #5593
Moderator Emeritus

Getting ready for Rice Families Weekend in Houston.

I'm planning to spend today packing (only six hours left!) and then I'm going to spend eight hours overnight breathing recycled air with hundreds of my new (*cough-cough HAAACK*) best buddies while hurtling through space at hundreds of miles an hour... and wearing earplugs.

Sure hope I can get caught up on my sleep.

At least I won't have to stand the midwatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
By the time you search this board for the keywords "Microsoft Money" and "Quicken" and finish reading the threads, you'll be so sick of both that you'll plagiarize an OpenOffice spreadsheet.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #5594
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

By the time you search this board for the keywords "Microsoft Money" and "Quicken" and finish reading the threads, you'll be so sick of both that you'll plagiarize an OpenOffice spreadsheet.
Thanks. It turns out that Mr. Gates just couldn't let Money die and now gives it away. Click, click, I'm back in business.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #5595
Recycles dryer sheets

I drowned or smashed 100's of stink bugs. Then did 100's more. Oh how I hate those stink bugs! Then I finally rubbed down the wax on my van windows and put another coat on. Did I mention that I hate those stink bugs that are everywhere?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:33 AM   #5596
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday I had my gas fireplace cleaned and inspected since I've not used it for 5 years and want to this winter. They found some rust that appears to have been caused by my lawn sprinkler system. I hate home maintenance.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #5597
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I struggled with this question for about a year and finally -- the month before my Money subscription (license?) expired -- just picked (out of frustration mostly) Moneydance as the replacement. It has been three months now and I find it an acceptable substitute.

I had used Money since v1 (1995?) and was very disappointed with MS's decision to abandon it -- so, perhaps, my learning curve was steeper than it should have been. Nevertheless, I find that, as a pure accounting tool, Moneydance is more in line with how it should be done. Probably the biggest difference, however, is in Moneydance's support system. They have, for instance, an extremely active Forum and, I believe, that they, eventually, will build a very powerful financial program for us non-accountants -- although it is "as good as" Money now. (Money's support, as you know, was best described as non-existent.)

YMMV
Old 09-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #5598
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I had used Money since v1 (1995?) and was very disappointed with MS's decision to abandon it -- so, perhaps, my learning curve was steeper than it should have been. Nevertheless, I find that, as a pure accounting tool, Moneydance is more in line with how it should be done. Probably the biggest difference, however, is in Moneydance's support system. They have, for instance, an extremely active Forum and, I believe, that they, eventually, will build a very powerful financial program for us non-accountants -- although it is "as good as" Money now. (Money's support, as you know, was best described as non-existent.)YMMV
+1 - WOW!!
I just got through a horrible week trying to convert over from MS Money to Quicken for Rental Property Owners or QUICK BOOKS -- After hours of frustration I cancelled both of them & removed the blood suckers from my hard drive. Their "support" was not helpful or nonexistent.

Whodathunk that the underdog MSMoney would be so much more flexible & superior than Intuit's products?

All I want to do is go directly into a Checking account - pay a bill & categorize it by Property and Expense Category & maybe a little more detail like invoice# - Unit #, etc.(notes would be OK). I don't want to go thru other accounting vehicles/icons to get there either. I need to be able to produce reports with those elements broken out.

Maybe I am just too stupid. I tried, I failed, I tore me hair out!

Currently sticking to MS Money and double entering it into my Banks Bill Pay system. IF anyone has found a workable EZ solution to that, LMK.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #5599
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I wasn't clear. You can download the new version of Money (Money Sunset) for free. It automatically finds the last backup from your old Money program and is good to go in seconds. I just use it to balance my checkbook.

Download details: Money Plus Sunset Deluxe
Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #5600
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Landlady View Post
Currently sticking to MS Money and double entering it into my Banks Bill Pay system. IF anyone has found a workable EZ solution to that, LMK.
The main reason I picked Moneydance was its ability to automate things through the Internet. Specifically, its ability to give me "real-time" (well, there is that nine minute thing) updating of my Portfolio. The online banking is also fairly well developed.

I didn't take advantage of it but Moneydance is "try before you buy" software. (I just jumped in with both feet.) You should be able to test what you are asking with no cost other than time. And, in any event, their helpful support people will hold your hand through the whole procedure if asked -- again, I am very impressed with the staff of this company. In addition, there will be many users that will add their voice to the solution to your problem if it is more complicated than usual.

(Disclaimer: the above is based on only three months experience with this company.)

Closed Thread