Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #5641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm too susceptible to the call of the Whopper.
Ditch the bun, and the fries, and the soft drink, and the Whopper ain't all that bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Living in Ohio, I miss real rye bread.
Don't eat much bread, but I do occasionally baked some pumpernickel in the old bread machine. 'Bout as real as you can get: flour, yeast, salt, water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
He is sensing he better get on the stick, and quick.
Isn't that your job?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #5642
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, this must be the season for painting. I had some ceiling damage from a leaky roof (covered by insurance). The ceiling was repaired and painted a couple of weeks ago. I decided to hire the painter for wall painting too since my walls are getting a little shabby.

He showed up this morning and now I have a freshly painted room for my computer and small TV. He will come tomorrow for the bathroom and hallway. Don't know yet when he will tackle the living/dining/kitchen area AND my basement. He is very reasonable cost wise and paints much faster than what I would be able to....he's a bargain.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #5643
Give me a forum ...

You can cross me off the list of those having their house interiors painted, because my painter is done, done, done!!! At least he is done with the inside of my house. He painted every single room in the house except the dressing room that I painted earlier. He even painted the closets and all cabinets, not to mention curio nooks and all the molding (and my house has a lot). Having the entire interior of my house freshly painted in coordinated neutral earth tones with complementary trim colors makes a world of difference. Originally I just wanted to paint a couple of rooms, but my realtor persuaded me to have all of them painted and I am so glad he did.

Tomorrow my painter does the shutters and front door, and will spend some time doing last minute touch-ups and cleanup. Today I cut back the shrubs to make painting the shutters a little easier for him.

Next? Fresh new carpet installed throughout the entire house (except the kitchen, bathrooms, and hallway, that are not carpeted). Also the roofer is coming this week to install a new attic ventilation fan.

The new paint definitely screams "Buy me! Buy me!"

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #5644
Moderator Emeritus

Eight-hour flight from Houston to Honolulu.

There's no place like home. It's good to see the Ko'olau again.

5-7 feet on the south shore tomorrow: dawn patrol.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #5645
Give me a forum ...

I invited a neighbor over for supper tonight...have chili slow cookin' on the stove.

Took another pic of my 'fluffies' in my backyard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02150.jpg (1,021.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #5646
Give me a forum ...

I bartered my (80 pound) 42" plasma TV for some of the painting work. That's one heavy, fragile thing that I won't have to move north.

I'll buy a cheap, 10 pound, 19" flatscreen TV to use temporarily. I can put it in my bedroom after the move.

I am so glad to be done with all the painting, both inside and out. Now, the roofer!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #5647
Recycles dryer sheets

Today, I figured out my estimated taxes. Really should have done it sooner... Other than that, it seems like all I do is play with & train the puppy and hunt down stink bugs. Cooler today so the stink bugs are less active - whew!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #5648
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went to the farmers market. Mennonite lady gave me some free gizzards.

Plumber did not show up.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #5649

90-mile motorcycle ride before the monsoon starts for the next couple of days.

Went to see DW who is pet-sitting for her brother & SIL again while they're off on a trip spending money they don't have since they just took out a loan to pay off cc bills.

Played with a new toy, an X-rite Colorchecker to set the white balance in the camera so the colors are read accurately. Hey, it works! A print of the photo has the colors coming out with differences so slight they are almost imperceptible to my untrained eye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Color test small.jpg (495.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #5650

Love bbbamI's fluffies.....

Painter will start on living room/dining/kitchen tomorrow. My dog was driving me mad with the painter here. She is now at the kennel 'til Friday. For someone that is not doing the painting, I'm pooped. I removed all the wall hangings and moved the furniture away from the walls. I also undid the TV and VCR...hope I can put it back together. Appeasing the dog was also very tiring, probably the worse part. Tomorow, with no dog underfoot should be very peaceful.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #5651
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Love bbbamI's fluffies.....

Painter will start on living room/dining/kitchen tomorrow. My dog was driving me mad with the painter here. She is now at the kennel 'til Friday. For someone that is not doing the painting, I'm pooped. I removed all the wall hangings and moved the furniture away from the walls. I also undid the TV and VCR...hope I can put it back together. Appeasing the dog was also very tiring, probably the worse part. Tomorow, with no dog underfoot should be very peaceful.
Thank you....

Yes, I know about animals being underfoot. My cats walk just a few inches in front of me and kind of zigzag. It's no wonder I have problems with my back...I walk across the floor like I'm drunk.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #5652
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Thank you....

Yes, I know about animals being underfoot. My cats walk just a few inches in front of me and kind of zigzag. It's no wonder I have problems with my back...I walk across the floor like I'm drunk.
You do the 'kitty shuffle'?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #5653
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You do the 'kitty shuffle'?

Yes...you'd think I'd be used to it by now. Ehh...but not so much....they still take me by surprise.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #5654
Moderator Emeritus

Lovely 5-7 footers today on the south shore, and I'm finally figuring out my kid's 7'9" epoxy board. It's a lot more nimble than both my 9'0" and me. Not good or bad but definitely different.

A couple more years' practice and maybe I'll get something out of the 6'10" that's been sitting in our garage since 2004.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 09-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #5655
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went into the office until noon and then I left to go to the dentist to get a root canal done which went very well.

In the afternoon I just hung around the house not wanting to do much.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #5656

Road trip through eastern Washington through the Yakima River valley to the Columbia River. The Yakima River Valley is picture 1.[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Rita/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG] Pictures 2 & 3 taken at Maryhill Vineyards looking up and down the Columbia River into Oregon.

-- Rita
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day 1 002.jpg (905.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Day 1 021.jpg (603.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Day 1 020.jpg (703.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #5657
Give me a forum ...

Got up early enough to meet a friend for lunch at 12:30. My friend works at the cop station...a couple of suggestions were made about me coming back. Eh...don't think so at this point.

Went to a department store to pick up a few items. A man touched me on the arm and showed me a package of men's underwear. He said he was thinkin' of changin' styles..and what did I think..?
Old 09-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #5658
Gone but not forgotten

Was my 6 month visit to the dentist. Cleaning, some xrays, inspection; everything holding up.

Plumber came to check up on boiler for winter. Pressure gauge is broken (31 years); I think the boiler is older than the plumber.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #5659
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
He said he was thinkin' of changin' styles..and what did I think..?
How did he know what kind of underwear you were wearing?!?

Oh, wait, maybe I misread that...

Old 09-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #5660
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
....A man touched me on the arm and showed me a package of men's underwear. He said he was thinkin' of changin' styles..and what did I think..?
I guess it would depend--did he have a nice package?